Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI output: glitch just before album ends, after prolonged playback (Read 4153 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI output: glitch just before album ends, after prolonged playback

There is a flaw in foobar2000 WASAPI output. About 1-2 seconds before an album runs out, a quiet glitch is heard, sometimes. The glitch never appears if you seek near the end, player needs to have played for a while. It is amazing that noone one else have heard this. I have experienced it with three different sound cards and my neighbor has same problem. Foobar2000 support forum suggests an increase in playback buffer, but that never helped me.

ASIO however works perfectly. Both native driver from Audiotrack and ESI, ASIO4ALL and ASIO2WASAPI - on all three sound cards.

Could be a conflict with SSRC resampler or Convolver.

It all comes down to implementation...

Reply #1
Are you playing to a receiver?

Reply #2
There is a flaw in foobar2000 WASAPI output. About 1-2 seconds before an album runs out, a quiet glitch is heard, sometimes. The glitch never appears if you seek near the end, player needs to have played for a while. It is amazing that noone one else have heard this. I have experienced it with three different sound cards and my neighbor has same problem. Foobar2000 support forum suggests an increase in playback buffer, but that never helped me.

ASIO however works perfectly. Both native driver from Audiotrack and ESI, ASIO4ALL and ASIO2WASAPI - on all three sound cards.

Could be a conflict with SSRC resampler or Convolver.

It all comes down to implementation...

There is simply no way that this problem is somehow a foobar2000 bug because like you said, it occurs approximately [buffer length] before the end of playback, and foobar2000 would have to alter data already sent to the driver to perform exactly that. You could have brought it up in our forums (in particular mentioning that the issue is confirmed on cards from different manufacturers) so a special workaround can be added to the WASAPI component (don't let the driver know we're out of data to play, continue to send silence).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
The problem has been experienced on three different computeres and four different sound cards.

The computers something along ASUS/Q6600, Gigabyte/Q9550S and Gigabyte/i5-2400S - all with Windows 7.
The sounds cards: Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, Musical Fidelity V-Link, ESI Juli@, ESI ESP1010e.

I mentioned the glitch back in March, but since there was very little response, I assumed I were the only one in the world with this problem ~must be doing something special. When my neighbor recently told me of the same problem I made a list of what things we do in a special way:
- SSRC resampler to 96.000 Hz in Ultra mode
- Convolver or Convolver gapless - after SSRC resampler
- Default format in Windows CP set to 48.000 Hz, 24 bit.

The major glitch with wasapi and the V-Link went away after a complete windows reinstall.