Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream) (Read 132535 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream)

Reply #25
Yeah, but look at the post date... Grab the one in the first post of this thread, that'll always be most current.

Reply #26
--pv--, if what you desired was to send a single transcode to multiple servers, the smartest way to do that could be to run a local Icecast server that relays to others. Your request would involve too much additional complexity.

Yes this is what I was tallking about. If you think running local copy of icecast can do this better than your plugin then I'll do it this way. Thanks for the reply.

Reply #27
Is it possible to reduce the latency on the stream (time from i.e. changing tracks until effective)? I suppose this is mostly due to the buffer set on client - or...?

Edit: I changed Networking Buffer size to 16KB and reduced my Output Playback Buffer Lendth to 1000 ms and still getting a 9 sec delay.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #28
Is it possible to reduce the latency on the stream (time from i.e. changing tracks until effective)? I suppose this is mostly due to the buffer set on client - or...?

Edit: I changed Networking Buffer size to 16KB and reduced my Output Playback Buffer Lendth to 1000 ms and still getting a 9 sec delay.
You're running into Icecast buffering here. foo_vorbisstream sends the packets as soon as they're done. There's no internal buffer.

Reply #29
Love it! Works perfectly, so far. Now if only there was a way to get something similar made as a Winamp DSP plugin.

(I currently run my radio through XMPlay, which supports Winamp DSP plugins, and leaves Foobar free for my "normal" listening, but that means my only solution is edcast -- which means no Unicode characters! That's actually a killer bug for me. I'm very anal about tagging, and want the tags to come through to my listeners' clients properly. "???? - ???? ??? ???" is not an acceptable solution.)

Reply #30
Love it! Works perfectly, so far. Now if only there was a way to get something similar made as a Winamp DSP plugin.
Look somewhere else. I have as much interest in supporting Winamp as I do supporting Windows '95. Winamp is the past.

Reply #31
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just frustrated that all my solutions seem to be one step away from including everything I want.

Reply #32
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just frustrated that all my solutions seem to be one step away from including everything I want.
Why not just use foobar2000? Is there some Winamp DSP that you can't find an equivalent for here?

Reply #33
I do use foobar2000 -- for my own personal listening. My issue is that for running the radio station I'm hosting, I use a player known as XMPlay -- a lightweight player that can be enhanced using plugins (and was my personal choice before I started using fb2k regularly). It has no native way of connecting to Icecast/Shoutcast/whatever, but it is able to utilize DSPs for that purpose. The author of the software has coded the ability to use both input and DSP (through a wrapper) plugins designed for Winamp. XMPlay does have certain features that foobar does not -- namely an internal library that allows me to override file tags and set tags for files that normally would not allow "standard" tagging, such as MIDI or other tracker formats (IT, XM, etc).

I'm sure I could use fb2k if there was such a plugin allowing that, but my personal preference is to use XMPlay for playing the radio and leaving fb2k for my own personal listening. XMPlay is also a "no installation" software, which means I can just place a copy of it in a separate folder with the appropriate plugins and use that for the radio.

I don't use Winamp itself at all.  So, at present, my choices are to use XMPlay with edcast Windows DSP, which means no unicode, or to use foobar2000 with vorbisstream, which means no customizable library.

Reply #34
Why are you unable to change the tags of files?

If you are sincerely concerned about MIDI quality, why are you not rendering to PCM using some high-quality instrument? Then you could simply play the lossless PCM and can also change the tags. foo_midi does this wonderfully.

foobar2000 can be installed "portably", which is to say that one folder contains all relevant information. You have to run the installer to make it do that, but there's no registry entries created or anything that way.

Your solution using XMPlay seems to work okay for you. You enjoy that. However, if you wish to use foobar2000, you are the only person that keeps you from doing so. Everything you want to do is possible, though some require different approaches than you're using.

Reply #35
foobar2000 can be installed "portably", which is to say that one folder contains all relevant information. You have to run the installer to make it do that, but there's no registry entries created or anything that way.

That option hadn't occurred to me before. (I don't know why; I see the option every time I update and I've already done so for my portable drive.)

I know I'm the only person standing in the way of switching. Like I said, your component works great. I just need to look at things from a different angle. I have a nasty habit of sticking with what I'm "used to".

Reply #36
I know I'm the only person standing in the way of switching. Like I said, your component works great. I just need to look at things from a different angle. I have a nasty habit of sticking with what I'm "used to".
Nothing wrong with that. It would take something truly phenomenal to break foobar2000's hold over me at the moment. I'm used to it and not eager to change to something I don't know. Thanks for your praise regarding my component as well. My aim was to make something that "just works" and edcast didn't quite do that for me.

Reply #37
Thanks Canar! Vorbis Streamer is a nice plugin and it works as promised.

The only thing I miss is Ogg-FLAC encoding. Since the "edcast > icecast > foobar" chain started to work correctly with the Ogg-FLAC format I have used it on a private LAN to avoid lossy transcoding. It makes possible to stream unaltered audio quality from all source file formats when bandwidth is not limited.

Would it be difficult to add it?

Reply #38
When I was in development, I could not make Ogg FLAC work reliably at all, even after talking with the edcast developers. That was one of the reasons I cut the focus of this component back to Vorbis. At some point I'll hack multi-format support back in, but that's a bit in the future at this point.

Reply #39
I started experimenting with Ogg-FLAC in late 2007. At first I had a strange CPU usage problem with the Icecast server, but I got help from the Icecast developer: http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=3986 (seems like my account has vanished from that forum for some reason). The solution was to install a development build. I have used that server build until now.

Just before posting the above reply I installed the latest official Edcast (for foobar) and Icecast2 Windows builds on an XP PC (that OS had no previous builds installed) and Ogg-FLAC worked fine without any tweaking.

Reply #40
Well, I'll see what I can do when I start expanding the format support again. MP3 support will be nice to have back as well.

Reply #41
I agree with MP3. Some users would probably like to use MP3 for compatibility reasons even though Vorbis would provide better audio quality (especially if the stream is encoded from lossy source files and needs to have a low bitrate).

Reply #42
The point of the exercise is to extend the edcast libraries to simplify addition of new formats. Once it's done, adding new formats should be a piece of cake, given Icecast support.

Reply #43
Version 1.0 has been released! Thank you to the person who submitted the only crash report since the release of the beta. Enjoy your aoTuV 5.7, guys.

Reply #44
Is it possible to use filename as TITLE if no TITLE tag is present?

Reply #45
Is it possible to use filename as TITLE if no TITLE tag is present?
What usage case do you have where fixing your tags isn't preferable?

Reply #46
I just rarely bother with it, because I set everywhere to show filenames in case of tags absence (No. If I remember correctly, foobar does it itself). Regarding the question, tags are needed when tracks are properly organized and grouped into albums. If it is a bunch of random files from unknown sources (archives of chiptune.com or 2a03.org, resources extracted from games, etc), fixing tags in each file is nonsense.
Also, why not just add titleformatting?

Reply #47
Also, why not just add titleformatting?
Massive increase in complexity and I suck at Win32 UI stuff. Right now the component simply grabs all of the fields that are present and copies them over into the Vorbis comment that is sent in the stream. This has the positive side-effect of transferring all present metadata but has the negative side-effect of breaking a lot of the title formatting tricks that are taken for granted.

I'll keep this request in mind when I revise the component next. I don't plan to roll a new build just for this feature.

Reply #48
Someone's out there, crashing hard and often for a single reason. I can't reproduce it and this release doesn't have debug information included, so I can't really do anything at the moment. If this crasher is you, any information you can give would be nice.

Reply #49
Someone's out there, crashing hard and often for a single reason. I can't reproduce it and this release doesn't have debug information included, so I can't really do anything at the moment. If this crasher is you, any information you can give would be nice.

I could be this person, as foobar has been crashing cause of vorbisstreamer. I dont know what could be the cause as i dont really do anything strange at the time of the crash, so i'll just link my components and hope you'd know of any conflicts with what im running.

Code: [Select]
[b]Active components (73):[/b]

foo_albumlist.dll [b]4.3.1[/b] [07 June 2009] - Album List
foo_uie_albumlist.dll [b]0.3.5[/b] [14 June 2009] - Album list panel
foo_burninate.dll [b]3.0.1[/b] [24 June 2009] - Audio CD Writer
foo_audioscrobbler.dll [b]2.3.1[/b] [13 May 2008] - Audioscrobbler
foo_jesus.dll [b]0.0.3[/b] [22 March 2009] - Autosave
foo_uie_biography.dll [b]0.3.1.3[/b] [11 July 2009] - Biography View
foo_cdda.dll [b]2.1.4[/b] [07 June 2009] - CD Audio Decoder
foo_comserver2.dll [b]0.7 alpha 6[/b] [31 July 2006] - COM Automation server
foo_cuefilter.dll [b]0.1.7.0[/b] [28 April 2009] - CUE Playlist Filter
foo_channel_mixer.dll [b]0.9.6.5[/b] [12 March 2008] - Channel Mixer
foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum.dll [b]0.17.2[/b] [17 May 2008] - Channel Spectrum panel
foo_chronflow.dll [b]0.3.0[/b] [14 April 2008] - Chronial's Coverflow
foo_ui_columns.dll [b]0.3.7.8[/b] [15 June 2009] - Columns UI
foo_version.dll [b]0.4[/b] [16 April 2009] - Components versions viewer
foo_dsp_continuator.dll [b]0.6.1[/b] [04 January 2008] - Continuator
foo_converter.dll [b]1.2.1[/b] [07 June 2009] - Converter
foo_convolve.dll [b]0.3[/b] [04 August 2006] - Convolver
foo_dsp_crossfeed.dll [b]0.92[/b] [22 March 2006] - Crossfeed
foo_ui_std.dll [b]0.9.5[/b] [07 June 2009] - Default User Interface
foo_discogs.dll [b]1.19[/b] [23 April 2009] - Discogs Tagger
foo_uie_elplaylist.dll [b]0.6.5.3.3(beta)[/b] [05 June 2009] - ELPlaylist
foo_exvar.dll [b]0.3.1[/b] [14 June 2008] - Extended Variables
foo_fileops.dll [b]2.1.2[/b] [07 June 2009] - File Operations
foo_biometric.dll [b]0.3[/b] [14 March 2009] - Fingerprint tools
foo_uie_graphical_browser.dll [b]rev015[/b] [19 April 2008] - Graphical Browser
foo_imgburner.dll [b]0.3.1[/b] [30 October 2008] - ImgBurner
foo_out_ks.dll [b]1.2.2[/b] [04 August 2006] - Kernel Streaming Output
foo_lastfm_radio.dll [b]0.5.6b[/b] [26 February 2009] - Last.fm Radio
foo_uie_library_tree.dll [b]0.3.2.4b[/b] [04 July 2009] - Library Tree
foo_covers.dll [b]0.03[/b] [28 May 2009] - Locate Covers
foo_g15lcd.dll [b]0.3a[/b] [30 June 2009] - Logitech G15 LCD Display
foo_uie_lyrics.dll [b]0.3.3.9 [Dec 12 2008 - 17:39:01][/b] [12 December 2008] - Lyric Show Panel
foo_lyricsgrabber.dll [b]0.2.6.2 Beta[/b] [11 December 2008] - Lyrics Grabber
foo_masstag.dll [b]1.8.3[/b] [30 June 2009] - Masstagger
foo_menu_addons.dll [b]0.4.1 (SSE)[/b] [05 January 2009] - Menu Addons
foo_mlt.dll [b]1.0[/b] [28 October 2007] - Miranda ListeningTo foobar2000 Plugin
foo_browser.dll [b]1.2.3b [Mar 23 2007 - 16:52:56][/b] [23 March 2007] - Music Browser
foo_musicbrainz.dll [b]0.2[/b] [10 April 2009] - MusicBrainz Tagger
foo_navigator.dll [b]0.63[/b] [04 August 2007] - Navigator
foo_dsp_delta.dll [b]1.0.0[/b] [24 October 2008] - Noise Sharpening DSP
foo_uie_panel_splitter.dll [b]0.3.8(alpha)[/b] [07 June 2009] - Panel Stack Splitter
foo_uie_vis_peakmeter_spectrum.dll [b]0.2.0.0 beta[/b] [19 April 2008] - Peakmeter Spectrum Visualisation
foo_pqview.dll [b]0.2[/b] [11 March 2008] - Playback Queue Viewer
foo_playcount.dll [b]2.1.9[/b] [29 April 2009] - Playback Statistics
foo_playcount_sql.dll [b]1.5.4.236[/b] [18 June 2009] - Playback statistics SQL
foo_utils.dll [b]0.6.2 beta 6[/b] [09 February 2008] - Playlist Tools
foo_uie_playlists_dropdown.dll [b]0.7.1.1[/b] [14 May 2009] - Playlists Dropdown
foo_prettypop.dll [b]1.2.4[/b] [02 December 2008] - Pretty Popup
foo_uie_quicksearch.dll [b]2.8l[/b] [18 May 2007] - Quick Search Toolbar
foo_quicktag.dll [b]1.0.1[/b] [01 May 2008] - Quick Tagger
foo_unpack.dll [b]1.2[/b] [07 June 2009] - RAR reader
foo_rgscan.dll [b]2.0.8[/b] [07 June 2009] - ReplayGain Scanner
foo_runcmd.dll [b]1.0 beta 3[/b] [16 August 2007] - Run Command
foo_run.dll [b]0.3.7[/b] [07 June 2009] - Run services
foo_scheduler.dll [b]3.53[/b] [09 January 2007] - Scheduler
foo_vis_shpeck.dll [b]0.3.5[/b] [21 May 2009] - Shpeck - Winamp vis plugins wrapper
foo_dsp_std.dll [b]1.0[/b] [07 June 2009] - Standard DSP Array
foo_input_std.dll [b]1.0[/b] [07 June 2009] - Standard Input Array
foo_uie_tabs.dll [b]0.2.7[/b] [02 February 2009] - Tabbed Panel Modified
foo_texttools.dll [b]1.0.3[/b] [31 January 2009] - Text Tools
foo_uie_textbox.dll [b]0.0.7[/b] [26 March 2009] - Textbox
foo_uie_trackinfo.dll [b]0.8[/b] [03 May 2006] - Track info panel
foo_uie_trackinfo_mod.dll [b]0.8.0 beta [Jan  5 2007 - 13:36:12][/b] [05 January 2007] - Track info panel mod
foo_uie_typefind.dll [b]0.2 beta 2[/b] [23 October 2007] - Typefind
foo_vorbisstream.dll [b]1.0[/b] [05 May 2009] - Vorbis Streamer
foo_uie_wsh_panel_mod.dll [b]1.1.9[/b] [12 July 2009] - WSH Panel Mod
foo_wlm.dll [b]1.0.9[/b] [24 June 2009] - Windows Live Messenger Notifier
foo_unpack.dll [b]1.0[/b] [07 June 2009] - ZIP/GZIP reader
foo_dsp_bs2b.dll [b]3.0.0[/b] [07 April 2009] - bs2b
foo_rm-1800.dll [b]0.0.1[/b] [30 May 2006] - foo_RM-1800
foo_stopaftercuralbum.dll [b]0.2[/b] [01 June 2009] - foo_stopaftercuralbum
foo_freedb2.dll [b]0.6.1[/b] [07 June 2009] - freedb Tagger
foo_dop.dll [b]0.6.4.7[/b] [25 June 2009] - iPod manager
You're talking to my guy all wrong... It's the wrong tone. Say it again, and i'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!