Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Pointless: TOS #5] From: Can SoX handle float file with volume over 0 (Read 908 times) previous topic - next topic

[Pointless: TOS #5] From: Can SoX handle float file with volume over 0

Ok, after reading a bit more the manual and that, the options that sox offer to prevent clipping are in the context of effects/switches (so, the result). In any case, above full scale is always clipped, and the options either advise about the clipping, or apply a gain when it sees it will clip.

But that means that, if I wanted to decode an MP3 file with sox (and apply whatever effect i wanted), the origin will probably be already clipped if it is not mp3gained. (I hope this example is more real than the "float with above full scale values" situation).

Feels strange... it's a bit misleading to have options to operate in float, but not have the benefits of what float means.

it is so complicated.