Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PX-716A vs PX-740A (Read 4948 times) previous topic - next topic

PX-716A vs PX-740A

I was going to buy a Plextor PX-716A drive, and then I ended up getting a PX-740A.

Checking the specs at http://www.plextor.be/ it would seem to me that the PX-740A can burn DVD+R discs a little faster (8× vs 6×), and that it lacks some fancy Plextor features.

Would you say that the 740 is an economy version of the 716 or what? To me it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of difference.

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #1
I was going to buy a Plextor PX-716A drive, and then I ended up getting a PX-740A.

Checking the specs at http://www.plextor.be/ it would seem to me that the PX-740A can burn DVD+R discs a little faster (8× vs 6×), and that it lacks some fancy Plextor features.

Would you say that the 740 is an economy version of the 716 or what? To me it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of difference.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326360"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the 740A is a BenQ DW1640.  IMO it's a better drive than the 716A, they each have unique strengths. 
The best thing about the 740A is that you can use BenQ firmware, which is not nearly as picky with media.

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326360"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, from what I remember reading at the time it was intended as a more economy version of the 716, with none of the fancy GigaRec-type features (or whatever it is they're called ) for example.

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #3
Hi NeoRenegade

The main difference between the two drives that you've mentioned above is, that the PX-716A is a drive made by Plextor and that the PX-740A is a drive bought by Plextor from an other manufacturer (Benq 1640-OEM).

Regards

- Realityfreak

Edit: I guess I was a bit too slow!

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #4
Hmm, now I'm having trouble deciding whether to keep the 740A or see about swapping it for a 716A.

I mean, from what I know, BenQ is a cheap manufacturer of many things, aren't they?

Is it really worth paying $130CDN for the BenQ when I can get the *real* Plextor for $160?

Another question... if I use the BenQ firmware on the drive, will it still fully work with Plextools?

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #5
I can't help you with the BenQ question, because I've never owned a BenQ drive. If you can sell it at the original or near the original price, I'd consider selling it and either buy a BenQ DW1640-OEM drive (which is cheaper than the PX-740A / 52.57 CDN here (just as an example)) or a PX-716A

I've been very satisfied with all of my Plextor devices (didn't care what manufacturer they're from) that I've owned so far, it's just that I prefer the drives manufactured by Plextor because of their functions and because it's a Plextor  . I currently own a PX-716A and a PlexWriter Pemium (both Plextor drives), and I'm very happy with them and their results.
My next drive will also be a drive manufactured by Plextor. 

- Realityfreak

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #6
The BenQ drives are amazingly robust drives, especially with +R media.  There was a short period of time when there were QA issues with the 1620 drive.  They are also great readers.  Plextools will not work with the BenQ firmware.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #7
Keep the PX-740A if you don't need...
  • GigaRec
  • CD and DVD scanning (C1, C2...)
  • Overreading Lead-In / Lead-Out
Those are some arguments that keep me from buying the PX-740A.
The build quality isn't that different. My Plextor PX-712A failed after one year of moderate usage and the new device I received as replacement is picky with temperatures. Once the temperature inside my chassis reaches 50 °C, it will stop reading CDs (DVDs work fine however - no idea why; my damaged unit also had problems with reading CDs and everything else was fine). The only thing I love about Plextor is their service. My e-mails were replied to within a few hours and the whole RMA process was smoother than a baby's arse. It took only two days for the DHL guy to deliver the new unit and Plextor didn't even want to have my old unit back.

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #8
Isn't BenQ just The-Manufacturer-Formerly-Known-As-Acer™?

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #9
Something like that, though there are still products being released under the Acer banner as well.

When you can find the BenQ 1640 for about $40 (see Newegg), I say the choice between Plextor and BenQ is clear.

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #11
Dammit, I bought a PX-740A like three weeks ago. Should I be concerned? Is this drive any less reliable than "real" Plextor drives?
I was actually looking for a 716A, but the vendor said this was the new model which burned DVD+Rs a little bit faster.
I assumed it was an evolution, and wasn't missing all mentioned features

EDIT: I just remembered I used to have a BenQ standalone DVD, which died after 3 months of moderate usage. Now I'm worried 

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #12
Except for a a few QA issues around 12/05 the BenQ drives are damn good.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

PX-716A vs PX-740A

Reply #13
Keep the PX-740A if you don't need...
  • GigaRec

• CD and DVD scanning (C1, C2...)

• Overreading Lead-In / Lead-Out
Those are some arguments that keep me from buying the PX-740A.
The build quality isn't that different. My Plextor PX-712A failed after one year of moderate usage and the new device I received as replacement is picky with temperatures. Once the temperature inside my chassis reaches 50 °C, it will stop reading CDs (DVDs work fine however - no idea why; my damaged unit also had problems with reading CDs and everything else was fine). The only thing I love about Plextor is their service. My e-mails were replied to within a few hours and the whole RMA process was smoother than a baby's arse. It took only two days for the DHL guy to deliver the new unit and Plextor didn't even want to have my old unit back.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The BenQ drive does excellent scanning & reporting of C1, C2.
I'd take the 740A over the 716A any day, it's just a better drive.  My BenQ DW1640 burns incredibly well (of course I only feed it quality media  ) and generally better than the Plextor 716 scans I've seen on cdfreaks.com forums...
It's kinda insane to pay Plextor prices when u don't have to, tho.  anitec.ca sells it for CDN$49, and newegg sells it for US$39

EDIT:  [a href="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134784]http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134784[/url]
(everybody's a perfectionist on cdfreaks, every manufacturer gets complaints, but the 716 seems even worse than Liteon for RMAs)