Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some Tracks not being processed. (Read 5881 times) previous topic - next topic

Some Tracks not being processed.

I am using EAC and LAME 3.96.  Most of my CDs rip without issue.  The WAVs are created and on most CDs all the MP3s are created.

On a few CDs though I noticed that a few od the MP3s were not created.  I could see it successfully create the WAV, but the LAME encoder pops up for just 1/4 second and no MP3 is made.  Has anyone seem this?

Also, I ahve it set in EAC so that the WAVs will be deleted, but it is not deleting the WAV files after LAME is finished.  Does anyone hae thoughts on this as well?

Thanks,
Darrell McCombs

Reply #1
You must be something missing in the EAC set-up, please check out F.A.Q. - EAC!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #2
Yep, I had checked out the FAQ before doing my installastion/configuration, and again to try to hunt down the answer to this issue.  It's not in there.

For the most part, I get the MP3 as expected.  It is just on some CDs I get a WAV, and the LAME bails immediately on a couple of tracks.  I can rip 5-10 CDs with no problems, then have issues on the next 1 or 2.

Regards,
Darrell McCombs

You must be something missing in the EAC set-up, please check out F.A.Q. - EAC!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306144"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #3
By any chance, do you have the "Skip Extraction on error" box checked?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
He said that it extracts the wav fine, so I don't think that is the problem. He even sees the lame window pop up.

Reply #5
Dreamliner,

I had thought of that too after reading the forums, but No, I don't have that box checked.  Thanks for the good suggestion.

Regards,
Darrell McCombs

By any chance, do you have the "Skip Extraction on error" box checked?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #6
What version of LAME are you using, and what is your command line for it?

Also, do you have that encode more then one file at a time on ?

Reply #7
You might be saving an invalid file name... does the track title have any of the following: \|/:?*"<> ?

Reply #8
You might be saving an invalid file name... does the track title have any of the following: \|/:?*"<> ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306399"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC replaces those characters before it gets to Lame.

Reply #9
I had a similar problem recently with EAC. I downloaded LAME 3.97 to test speed and quality. I was using 3.96.1. I browsed and selected the 3.97 lame.exe. I tried ripping a few tracks to test. The waves were created then the encoder window popped up for a second and closed (I actually thought it encoded them that fast heh). I ripped 4 tracks then checked and the mp3's were not created. I figured it was a bad exe so i changed back to 3.96.1 and tried a few more songs, everything went fine so i checked 3.97 again to make sure and everything worked fine. I've switched back to 3.96.1 since.
I haven't a clue why that happened but browsing and selecting it again seems to have fixed it for me. Commandline settings were preset standard.

Reply #10
I have the same problem intermittantly as well.  It happens with FLAC and with MP3.  I can't seem to ever predict or know when it will happen.  It just sometimes does for no apparent reason.

Reply #11
All,

Thanks for your suggestions so far.  I appreciate everyone taking the time.

Don't harass me about using the Stereo setting.  ;-)    I tried both Joint and Stereo MP3s and on MY EQUIPMENT with MY EARS, I prefererred the stereo.  I know that most here prefer the Joint setting, I tried it and chose the other route.  Anyway, I tried ripping the same CDs without the -m s setting, and I get the same results, so that isn't the issue.

Another clue is that if I take and re-select the songs that failed, and try them again, some will work on the next pass.  This kinda rules out it being tied to the name or to the Tag info on FreeDB.

Here are the LAME parameters I am using:
  --preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 -m s --vbr-new --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

Alchemist,

I tried your suggestion, and it didn't help me.  I am curious to see if it helped others though.  ;-)

Regards,
Darrell McCombs

Reply #12
If you happen to use Win98 (are some still?), then its because of the default 127 character line length limitation of the command shell. You can extend it to 255  by editing the CONFIG.SYS in some way, although that wont competely remove the problem. W2K has 2047 and XP has 8196 limits, so it shouldn't be a problem there.

It's a far call, because I really don't think you're using Win98.

/ADD: Now I also get unstabe results. But only when using "LAME MP3 Encoder" parameter passing scheme. When using "User defined Encoder", things work fine.

Reply #13
This is the same problem that I have been experiencing see My Post The problem began about 1.5 weeks ago but prior to that EAC/Lame worked beautifully for quite sometime. I am on the verge of doing a reinstall of EAC to see if perhaps a file or registry entry has become corupted.

Oh and I am using "User defined Encoder".

Reply #14
Afaik, EAC doesn't have any 'install' issues or make any registry entries, so reinstalling it shouldn't make any difference.

I don't really understand your command line, particularly the part I have bolded below:

--preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 -m s --vbr-new --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %s %d

If you are using --preset standard, is it permissible and/or wise to also use -m s --vbr-new (not to mention the fact that disabling joint stereo degrades quality)?. I only ever use the presets w/o any other switches added as I didn't know you could add other switches to the presets anyway.

Reply #15
EAC does make registry entries and I have heard of several people that resolved issues by erasing them and doing a clean install.