Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using LAME and EAC again after a few years! (Read 8164 times) previous topic - next topic

Using LAME and EAC again after a few years!

Hi all,

Been having a read about before I ask. I've installed EAC and just getting LAME setup.

Before I used the "best mp3 guide" but the site seems to no longer exist.

From memory I used the old "--preset fast standard" command line switch.

I will use the new LAME 3.98.2

Now from what I understand this is no longer needed as it has been replaced with the newer LAME versions?

What command line now does one need? I think "standard" setting is fine for me. The results before were fantastic, that's why I want to use EAC and LAME again.

From the Wiki I read I can just use:

-V2

Is that all I need to put in the command line?

What is --vbr-new  ???

Then I found this guide:

http://www.uberstandard.org/    ---------------- Is this up to date?

Which says use this command line:

-V2 %s %d

I just wonder if someone could set me on the right path.....

I'm just after good old "preset standard" from back in the day.

Thanks for the help. :-)

Reply #1
-V 2 %s %d
should be OK.

Reply #2
@adamjk thanks.

PS....With the space between the V and the 2 ?

Reply #3
Whether you include the space makes no difference. (So omit it and save a byte of disk space. )

Reply #4
Also can I use this preset "-V2 %s %d" in other apps that support lame for ripping CD's? or does it only work in EAC?!

Reply #5
"%s %d" is specifically for EACs benefit, but other programs may follow the same convention, I don't know. What LAME expects is the names of the source and destination files, which EAC fills in where you placed the %s and %d.

Reply #6
So I don't even need the %s %d ?

I can just use "-V2" ?

Reply #7
When you use EAC the %s %d is required. If you run LAME from a command line then you have to type in the names of the source and destination files yourself. Either way LAME must be told the names of the files in order to work.

Reply #8
(link removed)  ---------------- Is this up to date?

I would avoid that guide if they haven't addressed any of the issues I have raised here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=65696

Reply #9
I would avoid that guide if they haven't addressed any of the issues I have raised here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=65696

Thanks greynol. So from reading that I guess I can just use the configuration wizard then change 3 options from their defaults:

No use of null samples for CRC calculations.
Retrieve UPC/ISRC codes in CUE sheet generation.
Automatically write status report after extraction.

And I'm set?

I quite like dBpoweramp, installed this last week and seems much easier.

Reply #10
I would change the first item from the default for sure.

The second item depends on whether EAC can grab the data properly from your drive assuming you have discs with this information.  I have it unchecked, even though my drive can get the data I have it disabled.  This information is useless to me.

The third item is also a matter of preference.

dBpoweramp is an excellent program.  I don't find configuring it to be any easier than EAC, but others insist that it is.

Reply #11
Just a quick check, the "--vbr-new" is no longer needed with LAME 3.98.2 right?

Reply #12
It's enabled by default, as per the HA Knowledgebase page, which also has much other information. Should you wonder, also unnecessary are -h and -q; in all cases the former maps to -q2, and in VBR -qs of 0-3 call the same encoding model.

Reply #13
It's enabled by default, as per the HA Knowledgebase page, which also has much other information.

Hey thanks. It's funny as I was reading that post and this part is what made me ask about it.

"There is no difference between the output you get if you use -V2 or --alt-preset standard. (Although adding --vbr-new is recommended for now, see above for details.)"

I guess that is dealing with older LAME versions.

Reply #14
I didn't notice that, good point. Yes, I think it was recommended before being made standard. It'd be helpful if someone with editing privileges removed that so it can't confuse anyone else!