Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: distortion on simple vinyl rip (Read 7037 times) previous topic - next topic

distortion on simple vinyl rip

heres a sample of what the distortion sounds like

02 - Jump.flac - 2.01MB

ive only noticed it on this record so far (original *i think* pressing of 1984)

im not sure what this is, and as im using my fathers turn table, and im not sure how much tweaking he will let me do

edit: ill put the turntable model etc. up in about an hour
My $.02, may not be in the right currency

Reply #1
Sounds like a classic sibilance issue to me. The relative cleanliness of the rest of the recording suggests that it's a stylus problem rather than a wear problem.

Google for how to clean a stylus with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. If that doesn't work, get a new stylus/cartridge.

How old is the cart? What model is it?

Reply #2
the turntable is a technics SL-D1 and the cartridge is a Audio-Technica AT311EP, no idea how old the cartridge is, but its not as old as the turntable, i know that

Reply #3
the turntable is a technics SL-D1 and the cartridge is a Audio-Technica AT311EP, no idea how old the cartridge is, but its not as old as the turntable, i know that

It's a shame the cartridge manufacturers never standardized on something like the Shure's 'trackability index' where they spec'd the maximum recorded velocity (basically volume) the unit could handle before losing contact with the groove wall (splattering). Back in the day, the best moving magnet cartridge I used was the Shure V-15 Type V. It could handle more than the cutter head could put on the disc and just simply sounded excellent - better than earlier Shures, Stantons, Pickerings, Bang and Olufson and anything out of Japan. But then came the CD and the turntable went the way of the typewriter. Mostly not missed.

Looking at the 'frequency analysis' in Audition, it seems a pretty loud on the top end particularly when the pre-emphasis of the LP is taken into account. That would be a tough disc even for the Type V.

GG

Reply #4
A 311EP should not have velocity tracking issues like what is being described.

I'd clean the cartridge and double-check the tracking force (with a scale!). If neither of those work I'd start worrying about the stylus being worn, or the suspension hardening up. I'd grab a new 311EP stylus - they are cheap nowadays - and see what happens.

Reply #5

I'd clean the cartridge and double-check the tracking force (with a scale!). If neither of those work I'd start worrying about the stylus being worn, or the suspension hardening up. I'd grab a new 311EP stylus - they are cheap nowadays - and see what happens.

Some good advice there - my Dad's old table (with an AudioTechnica moving coil cart) exhibits these same problems on any vinyl pressing made after 1990(ish) - the groove modulation is just too aggressive for the cart to handle, so you get nasty sibilance distortion and crunched highend frequencies. Shame, because it's a nice cart (and it cost enough when it first came out!) but it still sounds very good for most stuff.

Get your Dad a good birthday present, buy him a new cart
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #6

I'd clean the cartridge and double-check the tracking force (with a scale!).

alright, how should i clean it, and how would i check the tracking force

and yes, that sounds like a good Christmas present