Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 650489 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #125
I have  a question on the --alt-preset cbr 256. When I use this on the command line in EAC, LAME encodes the file in joint stereo. I have read in other threads that JS is bad for anything over 160. 192 & up should use stereo.

Is my  alt preset incorrect, or the information on joint stereo? Any help would be appreciated! ???

Also, when I use VBR to encode and then later burn the MP3s to 'music audio' (for friends - I know everone will ask why?) - the files skip and pop like crazy. VBR does not work that great on my Rio 600 either. That is why I use CBR.

Other than file size, can anyone think of a reason why VBR alt preset extreme is better than CBR 256? I have listened to both on my PC (with headphones) and cannot tell the difference. I can tell a big difference however between CBR 128 and 256. 

Reply #126
I believe that the --alt-presets use safe joint stereo, where what you read is referring to the regular js.

Reply #127
Originally posted by ezra2323
Is my  alt preset incorrect, or the information on joint stereo?

See this thread for your question about joint stereo and the 'alt-presets'.
It's safe to use it !!!
Have fun and enjoy your quality mp3's (although i have to admit that i don't like CBR very much, i was convinced by the concept of VBR right from the start when i read about it the first time) !!!

btw: If you have more questions about the presets and how they work please use the search function, you will find answers to nearly every question you could think of about the alt-presets, how they work, issues, problem samples....
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #128
"VBR does not work that great on my Rio 600 either"

Unfortanetely. then your Riovolt 600 is crappy.

VBR is standard in MP3.

It is a reason for warranty. Your Riovolt is designed for MP3.

If it does not play VBR songs properly, return it and get a real working mp3player.

Reply #130
What is the reason the --alt-preset settings have, except for digital silence, a floor of 128kbps?

Reply #131
Originally posted by harryzonker
What is the reason the --alt-preset settings have, except for digital silence, a floor of 128kbps?

Good question
Mainly for safety reasons. To prevent the VBR algoritm to drop too low where it should not.
However you can lower the the minimal bitrate by adding e.g. "-b 80" after the command line. If you have a source signal that contains very little stereo separation this could be useful. This has been discussed in other threads before.

Reply #132
I have a couple of other questions:

Does VBR/ABR use the bit reservoir?

What accounts for the difference in bit rates between ap standard & ap extreme?

Reply #133
I have read all of the technical analysis regarding the different sound qualities of LAME at varying bit rates. I would like ask some of the audiophiles in this forum, can you actually hear the difference between AP extreme and AP standard while listening to MP3s on: 1) computer with Soundblaster 5.1 and Harmon Kardon speaker system with subwoofer, 2) Car stereo with Sony Xplod MP3 player and 6 speaker system, and 3) Creative Nomad Jukebox with Sennsenheimer headphones.

I am going to encode my collection soon (Right now archiving with Monkeys audio) and these are the 3 primary places I will listen to MP3s.

There is a significant difference in bit rate (file size) between extreme and standard, and unless there is 'noticable' quality loss with standard, I would prefer to encode at this rate for quantity of music per storage unit. However, muffled high ends drive me crazy!!!! (LAME CBR 128 comes to mind).

Reply #134
yup...

when using lame as a command - line decoder...

(this is taken from the encoder/decoder tests at....http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/mp3d...oders_lame.html)

writen by mark taylor..)

"Then we can just split them equally between encoder and decoder: 528.5
delay for foward polyphayse+MDCT (used by encoder), 528.5 delay for
backward polyphase+MDCT (used by decoder). To align the psycho
acoustics with the MDCT window, LAME adds exactly 48 samples of
padding for a total encoder delay of 576.5.

Mark

I've rounded the decoder delay up to 529 because this is what Lame does in its delay calculation"

is 529 the total decoder delay as of lame 3.92 (3) (div. encoder delay..)
or are there calculated a more precise one...

btw...
do lame do normalising in encoding/decoding..
where i have seen command - lines of lame.. i have not seen any of normalising..

or maybe i simply  have missed it ??

(what about MAD commands.. and normalising..)

Reply #135
Hi, I was wondering whats the best setting to use when wanting to archive mp3s?

is the r3mix  -b 256 -m s --lowpass 19.5 -q 0

still the way to go?

or maybe change it to 320?  -b 320 -m s --lowpass 19.5 -q 0

hard drive space isn't an issue as i have plenty of space

so if you could recommend the HIGHEST possible settings for the BEST encoding
be greatfully appreciated

thanx in advance

Reply #136
For archiving, I'd use lossless. If you really want MP3, probably --alt-preset insane is best.

(=CBR320+alt-preset tunings)

--
GCP

Reply #137
Originally posted by grind187
Hi, I was wondering whats the best setting to use when wanting to archive mp3s?

is the r3mix  -b 256 -m s --lowpass 19.5 -q 0

still the way to go?

or maybe change it to 320?  -b 320 -m s --lowpass 19.5 -q 0

hard drive space isn't an issue as i have plenty of space

so if you could recommend the HIGHEST possible settings for the BEST encoding
be greatfully appreciated

thanx in advance

Don't[/b] use --R3Mix
Use --alt-preset X
for highest quality LAME(MP3) use --alt-preset insane
but consider other formats, such as MPC, AAC or perhaps OGG.

Reply #138
okay thanks

should i be using joint stereo or just stereo

and whats the differnce?

Reply #140
pardon the newbie question.

like quite a few apparently, i just stumbled across the r3mix page, and have just now figured out that's not The Latest Great Thang.

however, at least with the -r3mix stuff, it made a lot of sense in terms of the individual settings it incorporated (like the nspsytune, etc.)

perhaps i'm looking in the wrong places, but i can't find anything in the descriptions of the alt preset stuff which indicates what sort of individual settings are incorporated ... for instance, if i use alt preset standard, does it already include the nspsytune?

thanks for any help.

Reply #141
Originally posted by ojopaj
perhaps i'm looking in the wrong places, but i can't find anything in the descriptions of the alt preset stuff which indicates what sort of individual settings are incorporated ... for instance, if i use alt preset standard, does it already include the nspsytune?

thanks for any help.

--alt-preset standard uses modifications at the code level, so there is no equivalent set of switches.

(but to answer your question: it is based on nspsytune)

--
GCP

Reply #142
added mpc -> mp3 MPCxchange

Reply #143
I have actualized the links according to this new forum.

I checked some links to r3mix forum, there are some explanations to mp3gain or how to burn a mp3-CD, but they are not working.
Often I cannot access to new r3mix forum.
If somebody has a solution, please give me the working links to r3mix.net forum.

Reply #145
I'm starting to encode my whole collection (600 CDs) to mp3 using lame. I only want to do this once and so want reasonably high quality. Disk space is not an issue.

At the minute I'm using "lame --quiet --nohist --vbr-new --alt-preset extreme"

- should I be using "--vbr-new"? Is this assumed by the extreme preset? which is better - vbr-old or vbr-new?

- is there any point in adding a "-b128" option to the list?

- are there any other command line options I should be using?

Reply #146
- should I be using "--vbr-new"? Is this assumed by the extreme preset? which is better - vbr-old or vbr-new?
You could use --alt-preset fast extreme, it uses --vbr-new/mtrh. --vbr-old is marginally better, but depends on the case.. vbr-old is also very much slower.
No, it's used by default anyways.
Depends.. If you want marginally higher quality in very rare cases, but also higher bitrate, you could use -Z. The bitrate in this case may be clearly higher than without -Z.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #147
You could use --alt-preset fast extreme, it uses --vbr-new/mtrh. --vbr-old is marginally better, but depends on the case.. vbr-old is also very much slower.
No, it's used by default anyways.
Depends.. If you want marginally higher quality in very rare cases, but also higher bitrate, you could use -Z. The bitrate in this case may be clearly higher than without -Z.

I thought I saw the docs say that "--alt-preset fast extreme" was slightly lower quality than "--alt-preset extreme"? I'd prefer quality over speed...

Does "--alt-preset extreme" imply "--vbr-old"?

If you want marginally higher quality in very rare cases, but also higher bitrate, you could use -Z. The bitrate in this case may be clearly higher than without -Z.

My music collection covers many types (Rock, Ambient, Electronica, etc). I wonder if the results of "-Z" are worth the extra bitrate/disk space...

Reply #148
I checked some links to r3mix forum, there are some explanations to mp3gain or how to burn a mp3-CD, but they are not working.
Often I cannot access to new r3mix forum.
If somebody has a solution, please give me the working links to r3mix.net forum.

I can't access r3mix forum since more than one week.
I have however backuped the best threads.

Reply #149
I thought I saw the docs say that "--alt-preset fast extreme" was slightly lower quality than "--alt-preset extreme"? I'd prefer quality over speed...

The fast option is more erratic, not worse. I can be better and/or worse.