Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Yes: Memory based (Rio 800,NW-S4,Nex II,etc.)
[ 120 ] (11.6%)
Yes: CD based (Iriver,eXpanium, Rio Volt, etc.)
[ 210 ] (20.4%)
Yes: Hard disk based (iPod, etc.)
[ 243 ] (23.6%)
Yes: PocketPC etc. (capable for playing)
[ 25 ] (2.4%)
Yes: Mobile phone based
[ 14 ] (1.4%)
Yes: 2 (or more) different types.
[ 65 ] (6.3%)
No: Waiting for one with Ogg Vorbis support
[ 116 ] (11.3%)
Not yet, But I'm about to get one.
[ 64 ] (6.2%)
No
[ 174 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1197

Topic: Do you have a portable (Read 125216 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you have a portable

Reply #25
I am waiting for Ogg Vorbis support as well. Seems that the floating point issue makes things complicated for current dsps. MPC should be supported, i wonder if hardware manufacturers can contact a .com site to deal with mpc license issues? Or quite simply musepack marketing sucks  I would also like small stand alone players, for example many VCD players can also play mp3. VCD players are at least half the size of typical dvd players, and they are also (at least) half the prize
She is waiting in the air

Do you have a portable

Reply #26
I am waiting for Ogg Vorbis support as well. Seems that the floating point issue makes things complicated for current dsps. MPC should be supported, i wonder if hardware manufacturers can contact a .com site to deal with mpc license issues? Or quite simply musepack marketing sucks  I would also like small stand alone players, for example many VCD players can also play mp3. VCD players are at least half the size of typical dvd players, and they are also (at least) half the prize
She is waiting in the air

Do you have a portable

Reply #27
When I see a iPod with Ogg Vorbis support for under 100 e (this forum doesn't support Euro symbol?), I'm going to buy it.

Do you have a portable

Reply #28
I've got a Sony E-10 Network Walkman 128MB. Mp3 and Atrac Support

Do you have a portable

Reply #29
I currently own the iRiver ChromeX IMP-150.

I love it.

My girlfriend got a couple of months before that an also really nice (but a bit less nice  ) RioVolt SP-90 from me as a birthday present (by the moment she got it, it was already upgraded to IMP-100's 2.10 iRiver's firmware...  ).

Both players are nice, but the IMP-150 owns it by far with the nice display and nice remote it brought along...

I'm having some wet dreams about the famous Ogg Vorbis support possibly coming... but I am happy now as it is, and it won't make me lose any sleep if I don't get it...

I bought the IMP-150 for 100 euros in Spain, btw. Worth every cent.

Do you have a portable

Reply #30
My first and current audio player is a Panasonic SV-SD80, with SDMI built inside 

With 96kbps AAC, being able to fit 9 cd's on the 512mb SD card is nice, but the bundled Realone-bloatware is a pain really.

The real good thing, is that the unit makes a very good necklace B)

I doubt it's easy to do, but does anyone know if ISO AAC files can somehow be converted and imported for that player ?

Do you have a portable

Reply #31
I'm a memory base audio player designer. I have many audio player sample that i can use. But I mostly like that one manufacted by ourselves with my mp3,mpc and aac supported firm ware. Vorbis support is hard to implement because it's too flexible and needs too many RAM.

Do you have a portable

Reply #32
I'm a memory base audio player designer. I have many audio player sample that i can use. But I mostly like that one manufacted by ourselves with my mp3,mpc and aac supported firm ware. Vorbis support is hard to implement because it's too flexible and needs too many RAM.

Please, tell me, where can I buy the portable mpc player you're mentioning ?       

Do you have a portable

Reply #33
I have a NexIIe, an Iriver SlimX 350, and for the car a JVC KD-SH99.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Do you have a portable

Reply #34
as soon as the wonderful ipod supports ogg vorbis, i'll buy one cause i like it a lot!
I love the moderators.

Do you have a portable

Reply #35
Samsung's Yepp 700H which I have loaded with mp3PRO files.  It works fine, and I'll use it until all the other wishes in this thread have been fulfilled and a "universal" player comes along.

Later.
"Did you just say he contacts you through a bird? Did I just hear you say that?" Sonny Valerio (Cliff Gorman). Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Do you have a portable

Reply #36
I'am happy with my SlimX, but will be more happy if iRiver eliminates presence of evil wma and asf in my player and replace it with MPC or at least OGG. Or will provide different firmwares.
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Do you have a portable

Reply #37
ARCHOS JUKEBOX STUDIO 20 GHZ !!!

the best
Putain mais keçkispasse !! nen mais moi ca me rend ouff !!!!

Do you have a portable

Reply #38
mine would have to be:
- huge hd (20 gigs minimum), something that can be easily used as a portable hd
- vorbis, mpc, ape player
- complete rg support
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Do you have a portable

Reply #39
!!!! sorry 20 Go!!!

Putain mais keçkispasse !! nen mais moi ca me rend ouff !!!!

Do you have a portable

Reply #40
My HP Jornada 525, PocketPC, Hitachi SH-3 with 128 MB CF-Card works ok for me at the moment (of course I use it mainly as calendar, address book, calculator, and so on). Annoying is the high power consumption, and the small, built in (not changeable) rechargeable battery. It's only possible to play about 2.5 to 3 hours of music with the screen switched off. Then the thing has to recharge for two hours. The second thing I hate about it is, that it's too slow for OGG. Although there's a player around, I can't play OGGs :-( Perhaps there will be more optimised ogg-code in the future?

Regards, fileman.

Do you have a portable

Reply #41
i have a sony net md and i'm happy with it (mz-n505)

Do you have a portable

Reply #42
I have IPAQ PocketPC and can play wav, mp3, ogg, wma.

Can mpc's aac's mp4's be played on it ???? (!)  If yes, how?

Do you have a portable

Reply #43
The second thing I hate about it is, that it's too slow for OGG.

I can play OGG files perfectly on my IPAQ PocketPC!

Do you have a portable

Reply #44
The second thing I hate about it is, that it's too slow for OGG.

I can play OGG files perfectly on my IPAQ PocketPC!

Do you have a portable

Reply #45
Am I the only one with a Nomad Jukebox 3 20 GB? Very happy with it by the way, especially with the sound quality. Made all my old MP3's sound like sh*t but that 's probably Blade's fault ;-).
No inspiration

Do you have a portable

Reply #46
I can only imagine what it would be like to someday have portable DVD players that play Musepack or (gasp) lossless files.

Musepack OK, but lossless is pointless (unless it's DVD player).

If you're on CDs, with lossless you can store the same songs than a CD audio, or a few more.
CDAudio uses full 2352bytes/sector for audio (CD capacity aprox 800Mbytes) while lossless is data and it uses 2048bytes/sector + ECC codes, so space that can be used is 700Mbytes. Unless you want more disc reliability on cheap discs, there is no point on doing so....

IMO lossless is made for HD archiving.

Do you have a portable

Reply #47
I was just about to buy one (smartcard or compactflash based), when I decided to upgrade my mobile... I know have a Siemens SL42e (unlocked and upgraded to SL45i after firmware upgrades) and it can play MP3 very well.

Plus it use a MMC for storage, up to 128MB  I am sure it would be possible for Siemens to add support for Ogg with a new firmware update. Time to email them.

I highly recommend it to anyone

Do you have a portable

Reply #48
When I see a iPod with Ogg Vorbis support for under 100 e (this forum doesn't support Euro symbol?), I'm going to buy it.

I think you are out of luck then  You'll never get it this cheap
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Do you have a portable

Reply #49
I own a Dioneer DCP100 and am quite happy with it - I believe it is a good value choice.
Killakid