Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp EQ Differences (Read 6512 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp EQ Differences

WAV outputs of Nine Inch Nails Ringfinger using...

[Default Winamp EQ and Crossfeed Plug-in] > Ringfinger~OldEQ.wav

[Shibatch EQ and 4Front Headphones DSP] > Ringfinger~NewEQ.wav

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #1
Removed post until I can actually upload new version...

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #2
New sample, Joey Stuckey Take A Walk In The Shadows.

Three sample files, all of the first 29.5n seconds of song.  Note that timing and duration are not matching on all samples as Winamp buffering prevented playback start at the exact same moment of writing the WAV output.  Anyway, this test is intended as a comparison of personal preference of sound quality as affected by sound processing instead of for the detection of artifacts.  I started with the Vorbis-encoded file rather than going back to PCM WAV because it's intended as a "real world", everyday listening example when comparing various equalization and DSP approaches.

These settings are intended for making headphone listening sound as close to the speaker/subwoofer experience as possible, and should be played back without any EQ or DSP as the samples (except for the reference) are already equalized and processed accordingly.

All samples came from the same track encoded in Ogg Vorbis (Post 1.0 CVS) -q 4.25.  The samples were output from Winamp using each EQ/DSP type to PCM WAV using Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v2.0c, cut in EAC 0.95prebeta3, compared in ABC/HR, then transcoded to FLAC 1.1.0 for "packaging".

Take A Walk In The Shadows (NoEQ) Cut.wav - Reference with no EQ and no DSP.  (Keep in mind that even the reference was originally encoded in Vorbis, so this is not a lossless reference sample.

Take A Walk In The Shadows (OldEQ) Cut.wav - Sample using the old equalization method of Winamp EQ with naivesoftware's crossfeed DSP plug-in.

Take A Walk In The Shadows (NewEQ) Cut.wav - Sample using new equalization method of ShiBatch's EQ plus 4Front Headphones DSP.

A screenshot from Goldwave showing the three files side-by-side for a visual comparison of amplitude variances, plus ABC/HR test results are included.

Files are attached to following posts...

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #3
Reference.

2-second duration.

(The largest currently possible upload with my ISP that I've tried so far.  Sorry.)

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #4
Test Sample #1 (OldEQ).

2-second duration.

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #5
Test Sample #2 (NewEQ).

2-second duration.

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #6
Goldwave screenshot showing all three samples for comparison.

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #7
ABC/HR test results.

Edit;  Sorry...I just realized the names of the files I used with ABC/HR don't match the names of the test samples I posted here.  I tested the WAV files, then (with no further modification) encoded them to FLAC and had to rename them for uploading.  Still, you can identify them by "NoEQ", "OldEQ" and "NewEQ".  I did finally have to cut them from 29-seconds to 2-seconds to make them uploadable.  Maybe I can upload the full 29-second samples 2-seconds at a time... 

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #8
Headphone bass test #1.

File: 01_Trip_Like_I_Do__cut_.flac
Duration: 15 seconds
Extraction:  Exact Audio Copy 0.95prebeta3, secure mode enabled, C2 disabled, caching disabled
Waveform "Cutting":  EAC 0.95pb3 Waveform (Sound) Processing
Gain Adjustment:  Wavegain 1.2, 89.0dB
Encoding: FLAC 1.1.0, -8

Reference bass notes at (approx.) timemarks:

00:04  Very hard to detect on headphones I've tried so far.
00:08  Likewise as 00:04 timemark.
00:12  Louder, not as hard to detect as the previous notes, longer sustain.

Winamp EQ Differences

Reply #9
Headphone bass test #2.

File: 04_High_Roller__cut_.flac
Duration: 16 seconds
Extraction:  Exact Audio Copy 0.95prebeta3, secure mode enabled, C2 disabled, caching disabled
Waveform "Cutting":  EAC 0.95pb3 Waveform (Sound) Processing
Gain Adjustment:  Wavegain 1.2, 89.0dB
Encoding: FLAC 1.1.0, -8

Reference bass notes at (approx.) timemarks:

00:02  Fairly hard to detect on headphones I've tried so far.
00:07  Likewise as 00:02 timemark.
00:13  Likewise as 00:02 timemark.