Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MAC(.APE) Linux Port 3.99 update 4 released (Read 88776 times) previous topic - next topic

MAC(.APE) Linux Port 3.99 update 4 released

hi, all, I have ported the Monkey's Audio Codec to linux(and fixed some problems),
the latest is 3.99 update 4. And I also make a native plugin for XMMS. They all work well in my Debian SID box.

here is the change log:
Code: [Select]
MAC: short for Monkey's Audio Codec, a loseless audio codec (almost with the .ape extension).

Version 3.99 update 4 (2004/05/12)
    * added support for the original 3.99 update 4
    * added -Wno-long-long directive in config.in
    * changed the location of parameter BUILD_CROSSPLATFORM, added into configure.in
    * removed -D__GNUC_IA32__ directive

Version 3.99  (2004/05/02)
    * added support for original 3.99
    * fixed console compressing finishing error.

Version 3.98a (2004/02/20)
    * added BACK_COMPATIBILITY
    * added a shell script "strip_fPIC.sh", for compiling and linking the
        ASM sources. Thanks the FLAC guys.
    * fixed some conversions between and multi bytes and wide char.
    * fixed that APL files are not right played.
    * updated the Analyze sample to work correctly.
    * changed some codes to avoid warning, but some of those still couldn't be avoided.
    * changed the link style of Console and Sample to static
    * changed some autoconf automake codes.

Version 3.96 (2003/07/27)
    * built 1st. including the frontend, the shared lib and some examples.

libxmms-mac: Monkey's Audio Codec plugin for XMMS!

Version 0.2.0 (2004/02/19)
    * added support for MAC 3.98a.
    * added file information display including metadata(tags).
    * added APL support.
    * fixed some XMMS header file compile error (XMMS_NEW_TITLE_INPUT).

Version 0.1.0 (2003/07/27)
    * Built and worked.

No News is Good News.

The homepage is http://supermmx.org/linux/mac, which is in Chinese. But due to the network problem, the site can only be connected from China, so if u are not in China, u need a proxy to visit it. Or i can just upload them in the Upload forum(Is it ok with this?)

Any suggestions and feedbacks is appreciated, thanks.

Reply #1
Uploading would be fine.

Reply #2
what kind of files are supported ? I tried with the tar.gz, but it said that "You cannot upload this type of file"... I am new to hydrogenaudio.

Reply #3
Is the source available? I would like to see if I could make it run on OS X.

Reply #4
hey, thanx!

(downloaded your source through chinese proxy and uploaded to your thread in Uploads)

built and tested on debian sid (i.e. packages are waiting for xmms plugin, below)
working good throug cli - no errors so far

the xmms plugin has some win32 specific build errors still
i'll look at it again tonight

...i'm in a hurry atm, but wanted to give you a heads up

later

Reply #5
the xmms plugin has some win32 specific build errors still
i'll look at it again tonight

yes, someone report  the bug this morning.. It is my fault, i have
underfined the BUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM, and moved it into
configure.in CXXFLAGS in MAC 3.99 update 4, but the plugin is
still old without considering it.

I have released the XMMS plugin 0.2.1 which fixed this bug.

To avoid duplicated download, u can just uncomment the #define BUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM in Line 7 of /usr/include/mac/All.h,
that should be OK..

thanks for the uploading. I will upload the plugin 0.2.1.

Reply #6
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/Y...;num=1105939694

MAC non-win32 ports now hosted at Sourceforge
« on: Today at 11:28pm »    Quote  Modify  Remove    
I have created a project called mac-port in Sourceforge, and upload the package and the plugin for XMMS, which can be found here http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/mac-port/
so this will be the final site for this project, and i will keep a mirror in my own homepage http://supermmx.org/linux/mac/ (which can't be visisted out of China mainland, what a pity). 

The license is LGPL for the mac port itself(but i don't get the permission from Matt) and GPL for the XMMS plugin. 

I wish more and more people can help this project to port to many other non-win32 platforms, such as *BSD, OSX etc,.and develop plugins for other media players. Now it only has Linux/i386 support and a XMMS plugin(it seems that there exits a plugin for GStreamer, but is kinda very old). 

I talked about this with David a couple of months ago via email, now i make it. Wish everyone enjoy it. Thanks.

BTW, i am also confused about so much ports and plugins, ,
i have no time to review the source from other developers, so, make your own decision for yourself. (But it will be great that only one exists

Reply #7
don't know if you saw my reply on that thread, but how can you release under LGPL/GPL when they are incompatible with the Monkey's Audio license?

Josh

Reply #8
i'm not sure, but the authors concept of "do what you want with it, just don't bother me" approach might be the answer.

several linux projects have held up working code because the author of monkey's audio is unreachable

later

Reply #9
if that's the case then at his whim the author can go after whoever is distributing it for copyright infringement (at least in the US and several other countries).  seems better to convince Matt to GPL it than to violate the license.  he's not on the MAC forums much but go to the jriver forums (he works there on MJ) where it's more likely to get a response.

Josh

Reply #10
@jcoalson:

yes, i saw your post in Monkey's Audio forum.  here is what i thought about the license.

first, it is my fault that apply the LGPL and GPL to the port for Monkey's Audio Code, that is not compatible with the original license. And as for this concern, i mentioned that in my post.

second, when i created the project at sourceforge, at first, i just copied the original license as the project license, but was *rejected* by the sourceforge administrators, which said, the license was not compatible with *open source* definiations.  So i chose the closest license LGPL(maybe not the closest, cause i am not a native English speaker, fully understanding these licenses is out of my ability).

what i want to say is that license is not the very first consideration at this time for this port, but a stable and workable tool in other non-win32 platforms is.

Reply #11
I know your intentions are good but according to Matt's license you don't get to decide what the very first consideration at this time is.  one email from him to sourceforge and they will take the project down, and he can still legally go after whoever distributes it.

infringing the copyright is probably not the best way to get things going with MAC again.

also, sourceforge is offering a free service to open-source projects.  they are paying for it so it makes sense that they set the terms of use.  faking the license just so they will host a non-free project is going against that.

Josh

Reply #12
I think people are making a huge deal about this. I simply can't imagine Matt going after people that are doing him the favour of improving and distributing his codec. What would he have to gain, anyway?

Bleh. This even looks like second intentions.

Reply #13
that's just speculation.  he's heard many requests to relicense to gpl/lgpl in the past and specifically declined.  if people repeatedly asked you to do something, you said no, then they went around you to do it anyway, what would your reaction be?

maybe he doesn't care, maybe he's changed his mind, at least follow his wishes and find out first.  ask him on the jriver forum.

Josh

Reply #14
mac-port new release:

ChangeLog:

MAC: short for Monkey's Audio Codec, a lossless audio codec (almost with the .ape extension).

Version 3.99 update 4 build 2 (2005/04/06)
    * changed AM_PROG_LIBTOOL to AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.
    * updated nasm checking information.
    * fixed redundant semicolon in Assembly.h when compiled by GCC 3.4.
    * fixed bug of opening file as Read Only in StdLibFileIO.cpp,
 should be Reading and Writing.
    * changed _FPOSOFF macro to ftell() for better compatibilities.
    * changed definition of BUILD_CROSSPLATFORM macro in the original source.
    * added LINK definition in Makefile.am of Assembly when working with
        automake 1.9, to avoid broken building process.
    * added some additional files which are not necessary for non-win32 port,
 but exist in the original release.
    * fixed some typos.

xmms-mac: Monkey's Audio Codec plugin for XMMS!

Version 0.3.0 (2005/04/06)
    * added tag editing support, including adding, editing, removing, etc.
    * changed version definition, moved into configure.in,
  and added version auto generation in src/version.h.
    * changed the name of this plugin from libxmms-mac to xmms-mac,
  but the file generated is still named libxmms-mac.so.

Enjoy it.

BTW: I accept all the  comments about license, what I need is the comment from
the original author Matt. I need only *one* word, Yes and No.

Reply #15
excellent!

will be updated at RW/Debian tonight

later

Reply #16
BTW: I accept all the  comments about license, what I need is the comment from the original author Matt. I need only *one* word, Yes and No.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

then ask on the jriver forums where he appears every day:
[a href="http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/]http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/[/url]
Josh

Reply #17
then ask on the jriver forums where he appears every day:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/
Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288592"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I will contact with him ASAP. )

Reply #18
supermmx - is there a reason the mac binary is built static in the Makefile{.am} and not by configure script ? (i.e. --enable-shared, etc.) ?

later

Reply #19
supermmx - is there a reason the mac binary is built static in the Makefile{.am} and not by configure script ? (i.e. --enable-shared, etc.) ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, some kinda. I have sent a message to Matt at JRiver forum,
waiting for the reply.

Reply #20
well, anyways...

i've updated RW/Debian to include the new MAC updates - thanx again SuperMMX.

i made a small change to enable the frontend to compile dynamically:
* it is 284k (static) versus 7k (dynamic) !

i removed the static LDFLAG from src/Console/Makefile.am and used --enable-shared with configure
7d6
< AM_LDFLAGS = -all-static

i've tested it out and haven't found any oddities (although it takes forever to play 'Insane' files in xmms on my athlon 900  - but that is to be expected)

later

Reply #21
MAC plugin for Beep Media Player, anyone want it?

you can grab it at the same places, enjoy it.

bmp-mac: Monkey's Audio Codec plugin for beep media player!

Version 0.1.0 (2005/04/12)
    * Copied from the XMMS plugin, built and worked.
    * Added GTK+ 2.0 version of tag displaying and editing.

Reply #22
thanx again

Reply #23
I know some people think Monkey's Audio are open source, and the sources are available, so what's the problem? Well, Matts homebrewn license says that as long as your project doesn't generate any money and you e-mail me for a thumbs up, you can do what you want. Well, when people who run projects on the BSD or some LGPL or GPL license e-mail him or ask on his forums; no reply! No answer.
Hes got a license depending on him and he got no manners to answer his mail...

Well, it's good for WavPack. I made my move.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #24
Well, people tried convincing him several times to switch to another license. GPL, LGPL, BSD, PD...  no avail.

Who knows if he is even working on it at all anymore? He doesn't even have time to visit his forums these days, let alone program.