Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC won't open on Win8 x64: Access Violation error (Read 17812 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC won't open on Win8 x64: Access Violation error

I've run EAC for years with no problem. New computer with Windows 8, which i HATE, is giving me troubles.

Install works fine. No errors.

But once I try to open the program I get the "Access Violation" error. "Unhandled exception" at "6AF2ADF0"

Only when I click "OK" in that error box does the ECA is starting up window close, but the program has not opened.

.NET Framework 3.5 is installed.

new WnAspi32.dll added

new cygwin1.dll added

Still not working.  Help!

Reply #1
I'd REALLY appreciate some input on this. I've not been able to get any help at the EAC forums that has worked. I've reached a dead-end, and it makes no sense. I have next to nothing installed on this computer. I even tried an install of EAC without any of the plugins and codecs. Still won't open!

Reply #2
Have you tried removing all references to EAC in the Registry, then re-installing? You might also trying installing with Run As Administrator from the right-click menu. You could also try to run it in compatibility mode, if you haven't already.

If you need to get some work done, you could download dbPoweramp while you're wrestling with EAC.

Reply #3
You don't give much info for people to help you. I can assure you that at least latest EAC works perfectly on Windows 8 x64 without any tricks. Perhaps the alternate aspi driver you installed is incompatible with your OS. I use native interface without issues.
Chances are there is more info about your crash in Application section of Event Viewer.

Reply #4
Could you tell me how to remove all references to EAC in the registry. And could you explain to me how to use the Event Viewer.

I have tried running as admin and running in compatibility mode. It refused to open before I installed the new ASPI.

What other info do you want? It's a brand new computer. I have installed Firefox, utorrent, qbittorent, VLC, foobar, FLAC frontend. I unstalled each of these except the torrent programs to seeif they were interfering. Nothing. I've emailed with the developer of EAC himself who basically says he has no clue what's happening.

This is VERY frustrating. I'm thinking of returning the computer.

Reply #5
You can delete EAC settings from the registry by first opening regedit (hit Win-key, type regedit, hit enter) and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWSoftware and deleting that AWSoftware key.

Event Viewer is fastest to open similarly from the start screen search. Just type eventvwr.msc and hit enter. Double click Windows Logs and select Application under it. It should list your EAC troubles with red stop sign followed by text "Error". These reports can show crashes that have happened without any visible window on screen and may mention dll file names that are causing the crashing.

By more info I meant simple things like what version of EAC is that and did you try it before putting random dlls into its dirs. Also the installer has plenty of plugins you might have tried it without.

Reply #6
I'm using the most recent, up to date version of EAC. Version 1.0 beta 3.

I deleted the registry and reinstalled. Still won't open.

I've installed without any of the plugins and extra dlls and it still won't open.

I've checked in the Event Viewer and no errors are listed.

What next?

Reply #7
Hard to believe event viewer shows nothing. But you could always log the launch with Process Monitor.

Reply #8
Remember that the program doesn't even open. It fails before it opens. Don't know if that's why there's nothing in the event viewer.

I'll try the process manager and report back. Thanks!

Reply #9
Try completely reinstall Windows. If  this is new computer, I think, you will not lose much.

Reply #10
I have no idea how to read this data, but there's data, plenty of it. Anyone see something that might help.

http://www.filedropper.com/logfile

Reply #11
Try completely reinstall Windows. If  this is new computer, I think, you will not lose much.

Good idea. I may try that tonight.

Reply #12
EAC seems to crash because your user profile name contains an apostrophe ('). Perhaps the author would like to hear about this to get it fixed. In the mean time you should get things working by creating a new user account without this character.

Reply #13
Changed my user name, restarted the computer, and tried it.

Still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Reply #14
It's not about user name. It's about profile name. Only way to change it is to create a new user account.

Reply #15
simply changing your username does not rename your profile folder folder inside c:\users. you need to create a new account as instructed above.

edit: too slow....

Reply #16
yep, that did it!!

Is there anyway to change my main user account without reinstalling Windows?

Reply #17
You can make your new user account administrator by opening "Change account type" under "User Accounts and Family Safety" in Control Panel. If your original account contains important files you should be able to copy them over to the new account by creating a temporary third account with which you copy files from C:\Users\<original-account> into C:\Users\<new-account>. If you use Move instead of Copy you need to replace the file permissions manually to match the <new-account>. It may break some things though if registry has some hard coded paths so only do this if you absolutely must. Otherwise just copy personal files from subfolders into the new profile. For this you don't need a temporary third account. When you're done you can remove the initial account from that Control Panels's User Accounts thingie.

Reply #19
Hi,

for me a Tip from
http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/90165-gel...ght=upperfilter

helped to get EAC working again too, both in Win7 and Win8.

search in the Registry for 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
and eliminate Upperfilters and LowersFilters Items

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

regards
Hermann

Reply #20
Hi I'm new to the forum and just found this topic.

It's very pertinent to me because I have the same or similar problem with EAC (which is otherwise an excellent product.)

The difference for me is that I also used EAC with Windows 7, replaced that PC with a new one that comes with Windows 8 pre-installed (yuck!), I then installed EAC and it worked fine initially and then it failed to load with the same problem "Access Violation" error, "Unhandled exception" at "512FADF0". The only difference that I can identify between it working and not working is the installation of the latest version of Skype, version 6.5.0.158, and the installation of the latest Windows 8 updates, which did include KB2836187, the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems. (I am unable to restore to a previous restore point because I get an error related to access and a suggestion to turn off my virus checker, which I did.)

Reading through the topic I see that Case identified the problem as "... your user profile name contains an apostrophe (')". What user profile is this referring to as I don't use an apostrophe at all and therefore I don't think the solution described, of creating a new Windows user, will work for me?

Herkan, I searched through my registry and found "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" There is a Lowerfilters set up. Are you suggesting that this line should be deleted? Are there any implications? (I couldn't follow the German in your link to the other forum).

Hope you can help.

Reply #21
Update on my post two days ago. I realised one other thing had changed in between EAC working and not working on my Windows 8 machine. I had created an EAC profile. When I re-installed without this it started working with no problem. I guess there was some issue with the profile file created by EAC.