Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pre-gaps ripped in EAC? (Read 40083 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Are the pre-gaps ripped and added to the tracks when ripping with the "copy selected tracks" option in EAC or are they just added when using "copy image & create cue sheet"? If they can be added to the tracks in "copy selected tracks" mode, do i have to press F4 to "detect gaps" for EAC to include them?

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #1
Afaik, you first have to detect the gaps by pressing F4. You can then set what EAC will do with the gaps. Default is to append gaps to the previous track. Other options are to leave out the gaps, or append them to the next gap. These options are available in the action menu.

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #2
Pregaps are always ripped, exept if you detect them, then choose to leave them out.
I wouldn't say they are "added" to the tracks, since they are in fact part of the tracks, as CD players and rippers understand the concept of "track" (ie data between track N index 1 to track N+1 index 1).

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #3
"added" might have been a wrong, i blame that on english not being my native tounge.  thanks for the replies... so, i know i wont make a perfect copy of a cd not using the image/cue thing. but, will a copy that has been ripped with "append gaps to previous track" & then burned with with nero in disc at once mode with 0 sec gaps between the songs _sound_ exactly as the original?

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #5
Originally posted by 12345
"added" might have been a wrong, i blame that on english not being my native tounge.

No, no, it's EAC that is confusing.

i know i wont make a perfect copy of a cd not using the image/cue thing.

You'll make a perfect copy of the audio data nonetheless.
The image/cue only adds some subchannel infos used to display negative times on standalone players.
The ony PC programs that use those infos are...EAC, clone CD, CDRWin... for the sake of making perfect copy.
Those "indexes 0" in the subchannel are never used by Winamp, or Windows media player, for example.

will a copy that has been ripped with "append gaps to previous track" & then burned with with nero in disc at once mode with 0 sec gaps between the songs _sound_ exactly as the original?

It depends on which version of Nero you used.
Versions 5.0.0.0 to 5.5.7.7 were bugged. You should miss one sector of audio in each track if you used one of those. With audible clicks if there is music at the track transition.

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #6
ALT+O, "multiple wav files with corrected gaps"? What differs this method from "multiple wav files with gaps" or just "copy selcted tracks"?

/Mikael

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #7
Originally posted by Pio2001

The ony PC programs that use those infos are...EAC, clone CD, CDRWin... for the sake of making perfect copy.

Feurio?
Rommel

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #8
What are they and are they a good thing?

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #9
probably Feurio, yes, I don't know.

A pregap can be something different according to different people.
I think that officially, it is a hidden part before a session.

EAC calls "pregaps" the "gaps" of the tracks because CDRWin used a command called "pregap" to create them in the cuesheets.
They were 2 seconds long silences marked with indexes.
Nero and EasyCD creator call them "pauses".

Now, what EAC calls "pre-gaps" are the audio data at the end of tracks that are between the index marker 0 of next track, and the index 1 of next track (that marks the actual beginning of next track).

EAC is the only program I know that enables handling them, and I think it's the most confusing thing in this program after offsets.

When you don't detect gaps, EAC will work like any other ripper and copy all the audio data.

Problems begin when you detect gaps. EAC now handles them separately. It can append them to previous track, as should always be done, since they are the end of previous track.
It can append them to next track. I don't know the hell what for.
It can leave out them, cutting your tracks before they finish !

I don't know if I should say they are "useful". The data they contain are part of the CD, and often part of the music (classical recordings, live recordings...).
Their detection is seldom useful. The only case I heard of usefulness is if the gaps actually mark silence between separated tracks (not always the case), and if you want to rip MP3s from the copy, and use the leave out gaps option is order to have the MP3s of your playlist play right after each other with no silence between them.
It will always work from the original, but it will only work from the copy if you used the copy CD and create cuesheet action. Otherwise, the gaps won't be marked on the copy.

The gaps are always copied. If you don't detect them, they are copied all the same, they're just not marked.

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #10
Thank you Pio, I have found this very useful (even if we are some time later now).

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #12
Pregaps are used by hardware cd players.

If you directly select a track to play in a harware cd player, the track will start playing at index 1 of that track skipping any index 0 gap (if present) in the track. From what I understand the cd's table of contents lists all tracks and their index 1 positions.
If you play a cd continuously you will here the index 0 gaps.

If tracks are not played back continuously you will not here any index 0 gap (if present).

Track7
---------------
No index 0
--------------
track 3
--------------
No index 0
--------------
track 8
--------------
index0 played
--------------
track 9
--------------
index 0 played
--------------
track 10
--------------
No index 0 played
--------------
track 12

So, because winamp doesn't recongnize if index 0 is appended to a track, it will not leave out the index0 gap in non-continuous tracks like a hardware cd player would.

This only becomes annoying with certain cd's such as Tool's Lateralus, assuming I append gap to previous track, as is default for all cd rippers.

track 12 Triad + 2min (track 13 index0) gap consisting of silence is appended.
This means everytime I play Triad I hear 2 minutes of silence at the end of the track.
I should only hear 2 minutes of silence if track 13 (Faipp De Oiad) is played directly after track 12 (Triad)

I hope this makes sense, pregaps and offsets aren't my native tounge either 
"I have learned a lesson from the lessons I have learned"

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #13
Pregaps are used by hardware cd players.

If you directly select a track to play in a harware cd player, the track will start playing at index 1 of that track skipping any index 0 gap (if present) in the track.
(...)
If you play a cd continuously you will here the index 0 gaps.

If tracks are not played back continuously you will not here any index 0 gap (if present).

Ohhhhh ! Yes, I never noticed it !

You're right, my Yamaha does it too.

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #14
I have a problem that i wish to solve. I downloaded a continuous mix live set by a certain DJ. Now, that set is one file w/c is 77 mins long. If i write the track to a cd as is, it plays as one very long track. I wish to break that 1 track down into 13 or 14 tracks without any gaps in between. If anyone can help me, i would be very thankful

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #15
Hi, well, if the DJ set is an "official" release (I mean an actual CD that is sold in stores) you can go to this site http://www.regeert.nl/cuesheet/ and try to find the matching cue sheet which you can use to burn with something like the programs mentioned above in this topic. Of course, the file that you downloaded MUST match the duration of the original CD set for it to be accurate.
If it is not an actual release, but a bootleg you can use CD Wave (http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~mjmlooijmans/cdwave/) or an audio editor such as Cool Edit to make your own cue sheet and then burn the CD.
Vale.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #16
I wish to break that 1 track down into 13 or 14 tracks without any gaps in between

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=4425

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit : Replaced r3mix URL with HydrogenAudio one[/span]

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #17
Posted by Pio
Tell me which thread ou find more useful : this one or that one : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&t=3922&hl=gaps
It's the same thing, but I forgot the existence of this thread when I posted that one.

Well both I should say (they kind of complete each other)
The link you just gave is the on I found first. It suggested 'by the way' that gap detection is not necessary...
but
as I wasn't 100% sure if I really could draw that conclusion, I continued searching untill I found this one 

Pre-gaps ripped in EAC?

Reply #18
Infrared Archer's remark about programmed playback now makes this one more complete.