Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to reencode and keeping ID3 tags ? (Read 3811 times) previous topic - next topic

How to reencode and keeping ID3 tags ?

I want to reencode my mp3 songs eg. from 256 kbit/s to 128 kbit/s with razorlame.

My 256 kbit/s songs have ID3 tags of course.

I tried Razorlame 1.14 (I think that version, I have not updated to 1.15 yet, because for me it seems that only minor things have been improved, Razorlame  114 was/is well enough...) with 3.90 stable.
Setting alt preset 128.

But the new 128 kbit file has not had the ID3 tags.

Is it impossible to keep tags automatically or is there an easy way to transform tags from the old 256 kbit files to the new 128 kbit files ?

I want to do it with 1000 files in one directory. So I would be very lucky if there is an automatically method/way ?

Reply #1
say what!?!?!

128 mp3's.
argh..........
What's not gonna leave you very good quality. Reconsider!

But if you want to do it...
I don't know any program that can do it but I'm pretty sure that one exist. Go look for a program designed for converting, and make sure that you can use LAME with it.

Jan.

Reply #2
I believe CDex works in this case.

Look for Convert - MPEG -> MPEG.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #3
Hi,

128 is an example. Of course I keep my files (mostly dm or alt extreme or from beginning 256 Radium). They are on CD-R for my stand alone DVD/MP3 Player (look signature, latest news are: there is an  TYT clone available in USA, I think called Daewoo 5700).

But for my portable CD MP3 player (AVC Soul) I want to have more songs on one CD, for car !

During driving it should be not so important to have highs up to 19 kHz....
Perhaps I choose something a little bit higher than 128 kbit/s.

But for 200 to 500 songs it would be much work to copy each
ID3 tag from one 256 song to the new low bitrate song....

Could somebody recommend me a program to convert mp3 to mp3 using lame or a tagger that tags automatically a lot of songs if tags are there already in other files ??

Or does somebody know a command line in Lame that adds existing ID3 tags to the converted file ?

P.S.:

Happy Christmas !

Reply #4
Hi Roberto,

thanks for your anwer. I visited CDex and found there that it should do it. Let's try !

Reply #5
The  problem is solved:

Eg. High bitrate (tagged) to low bitrate MP3 (with same tags):

With Monkeys Audio I have been succesful.
There it was easy to use lame.exe external with custom commandline eg. --alt-preset 128

my trial with CDex was not succesful. I did not cope with Lame.exe external, and with lame dll (or both possibilities) I have not been able to write own commandlines like altpreset 128, there are only possiblities to click some parameters like VBR2 and so on.