Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000's replaygain with CLI encoder? (Read 8508 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000's replaygain with CLI encoder?

I use Foobar2000's CLI encoder, to convert an APE+CUE to many seperate LAME --alt preset standard files.

Anyway, I see the CLI encoder has a replaygain option.

What replaygain is it though, in comparison to MP3gain? Is it track gain, max no clip gain, or does it just normalize all the songs to one distinct volume? Thanks. 

Reply #1
I would expect Foobar2000 to just add tags with values for peaks and gain. You decide which to use at playback (or in the diskwriter setting).
You could check if the replaygain_album_* tags are created with "show file info" in Foobar2000.
--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #2
I don't think so. Foobar diskwriter actually applies volume correction to raw audio data before it is feeded to encoder.

Reply #3
I don't think so. Foobar diskwriter actually applies volume correction to raw audio data before it is feeded to encoder.

Hmmm, then why did MP3gain say that the MP3s I converted with foobar without replaygain had clipping except for a few quiet ones? 

This is just so I can play the MP3s on my portable CD player, not for my computer, it doesn't count as a music player.

Reply #4

Hmmm, then why did MP3gain say that the MP3s I converted with foobar without replaygain had clipping except for a few quiet ones? 

Of course foobar applies it only if you enable replaygain in diskwriter and there's rg data avialable. I didn't mean that it is "hardcoded" functionality, just explained how it works if enabled  B)

Reply #5
Hmmm, just figured out, foobar's replaygain does lower the volume to prevent clipping, but WAY more than MP3gain's max no clip gain does. MP3gain's max no clip gain tried to make the volume higher by 4 dB on a few songs that I used foobar's replaygain on. My portable's low already so I'll have to learn tweak foobar's replaygain so there aren't any steps to encode to MP3 outside foobar...

Thanks.