Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ALAC in Windows 8.1 Preview (Read 7274 times) previous topic - next topic

ALAC in Windows 8.1 Preview

I am attempting to play ALAC files in wmp 12 in Windows 8.1 preview.  I installed 32 bit and 64 bit Shark007 Advanced Codecs, then installed Tag Plus plugin.  Here's my experience:

- at the start, I run the tag plus updater/refresher - it identifies the .m4a lossless files (versus the lossy versions)
- lossy files show up as normal under Music in wmp
- lossless .m4a files show up in Other
- clicking on the other files, I am able to play the .m4a lossless files in Other
- of course, what I want is .m4a lossless files showing up under Music.
- just when I think that is the only problem - "other" .m4a's stop working, and upon checking the plugin, Tag Plus has disappeared from Background within plugins tab on wmp.
- I have uninstalled/reinstalled Tag Plus and process repeats itself as above.

On a side note, before any of this, my first test was I tried streaming .m4a music from a server.  .m4a's showed up under Music in this Server library, but then stopped working as above.  Thinking streaming was possibly an unsupported area, I instead created a normal
Music library made up of .m4a (lossy and lossless) files.  Which leads to the above issues.

Any suggestions as to why this is not working?

Thanks,

Reply #1
Try Foobar2000 instead. Much more customizable, and support for much more formats natively. No need for codec packs!
Here you go --> Foobar2000.org

Reply #2
Have you considered converting to another format? (FLAC or WMA lossless?)  One of the advantages to lossless that you convert between lossless formats losslessly, so you are never permanently stuck with your chosen format.

If you had a Mac, I assume ALAC would "just work" and it might be the best choice.  I would also assume that iTunes on a PC can play ALAC.  There is also a chance that installing iTunes will install a CODEC that also works with WMP.

Reply #3
I would also assume that iTunes on a PC can play ALAC.

yep.

There is also a chance that installing iTunes will install a CODEC that also works with WMP.

nope. 

FWIW, the shark codecs/WMP tag plus/apple lossless combination works as expected on my windows 7 system so perhaps there is something funky with 8/8.1 going on.