Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DivX 5.2 released (Read 27710 times) previous topic - next topic

DivX 5.2 released

DivX 5.2, DivX 5.2 Pro and Dr. DivX 1.05 released.

http://www.divx.com/divx/

http://www.divxnetworks.com/products/

New:

* Localized versions for French, German and Japanese
    * Bi-directional coding using an adaptive method
    * Fully adaptive multiple consecutive B-frames
    * MPEG-2/H.263 quantization choice
    * Built-in bitrate calculator
    * Update checking tool
    * Automatic update notification for the DivX encoder
    * Fast mode, revamped for better performance, compression and quality
    * Feedback mode which is now multithreaded, taking advantage of HyperThreaded or dual CPU for better efficiency
    * Intel SSE3 (Prescott) Optimizations
    * 3 point GMC support in the DivX decoder

Changed:

* "Slowest" mode removed as the quality differential with "Slow" mode was insignificant, yet the performance differential was massive
    * DivX Pro Adware bundle replaced by DivX Pro 6-month free trial

Improved:

* Smooth playback supporting multiple consecutive B-frames
    * Quantizer, now using quant scale in video packets

Fixed (Encoder):

* A rare issue where rate control sometimes inserted Q=31 frames in video combining low light conditions, high bitrate and specific motion patterns
    * Fastest mode to respect the user-specified average bitrate (Old "Fastest" behavior can be obtained by disabling profiles and performing 1-Pass, Quality-based encoding with Q=3)

Fixed (Decoder):

* A crash occurring in some rare cases with clips that have dimensions divisible only by 2 and use YUY2 color mode
    * Black screen when decoding old buggy MPEG-4 clips that lack VOL header
    * Internal flush operation with "Smooth playback" feature
    * Intra inverse quantization (type 1)
    * Support for generic MPEG-4 (XVID and 3ivX)
    * Data partitioning clip
    * Deblocking to no longer cause solid blocks to appear during playback
    * DivX decoder to always play DivX video

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #1
Anyone knows if the free version is really free? I mean, no adware nor anything like that? Can't find the info.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #2
Anyone knows if the free version is really free? I mean, no adware nor anything like that? Can't find the info.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DivX (non-pro) is really free, but of course lacks some more or less important [a href="http://www.divxnetworks.com/products/divxpro.php]features[/url]. DivX Pro is an ad-free 6-month trial. Guess they're getting a load of money from licensing now...

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #3
DivX (non-pro) is really free, but of course lacks some more or less important features. DivX Pro is an ad-free 6-month trial. Guess they're getting a load of money from licensing now...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226361"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess so: My friend on Doom9, who is not a DivX supporter but a regular member, was given a free serial by Gej via PM. He told me that some other Doom9 regulars who are mostly more interested in xvid rather than DivX, are also privately offered gifts, like official serials and even hardware DVD players by Divxnetworks.
I suppose there´s a chance taht you probably won´t be writing too much critique after getting a DVD player, who knows what nice gifts you´d miss in the future. 

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #4
New:

I noticed that this makes no mention of 3-point GMC in the ENCODER, indicating they're still using 1-point, which is still suboptimal. From what I've been told, 1-point GMC is completely worthless. (In fact, if Xvid calculates that a frame only needs 1-point GMC, it's encoded as a regular P-frame. Apparently there are some things that you can do with a P-frame that you can't do with a GMC-frame)

They probably just added that to support decoding Xvid correctly. 3-point GMC and multiple B-frames were the two major problems decoding Xvid with Divx, and I see that they've both been fixed.

I use Xvid exclusively, but I suppose it's good that all the things I've encoded are supported in more decoders.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #5
What does it mean when they say 6 month free trial?  Does it mean that after 6 months, it stops working and asks you to buy it?

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226357"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DivX is completely free - it has no adware at all.

The DivX Pro 6 month trial is also completely free. It also has no adware, and you can use all of the DivX Pro features.

Both bundles contain the Google Toolbar, but its 100% optional. You don't have to install the toolbar to take the trial, and uninstalling the toolbar doesn't affect your trial period either. If your system is compatible with the Google Toolbar, it will be offered to you during installation. You can say no if you don't want it, its completely up to you

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #7
from the changelog it sounds like I'll use the good old 5.1.1 pro-adware (made non-extrusive) codec for a long time to come, aslong as there are no fundamental encoding changes.
good bye pro-adware    it was only a matter of time though I guess    understandable from their point of view.
competion pushes development, let's see how it goes.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #8
Whenever we do releases or have extra devices we send out serial numbers and toys to people in the community that are great at providing feedback.  No better way to get both feedback and also no better way to say "thanks".

Darrius
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226384"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great, but isn´t a DVD player quite an expensive gift before even any feedback has been given, and the new product is only few hours old? And why do you keep this private?
Who knows how many DVD players you would have given to people if I hadn´t posted my message so early.
At least I´d like to know which person got a DVD Player from Divxnetworks when reading comments about it..

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #9
hmm. I like that new calculator thingie. that comes in handy without having to  use external calculation apps.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #10
Well, very nice of Mr. 66.146.163.164 to flood HA registration system, apparently using *@divx.com and *@divxnetworks.com email addresses (responding to validation emails too). Multiple clones (incl. one obvious troll) banned, topic split in progress.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #11
New:

They probably just added that to support decoding Xvid correctly. 3-point GMC and multiple B-frames were the two major problems decoding Xvid with Divx, and I see that they've both been fixed.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226372"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I filed that bug report several months ago.  Good to see that they fixed it.  I guess it was somewhere about divx 5.1 when they decided that they wanted to make their decoder support all sorts of other mpeg4 codecs. 

BTW it isn't a big deal that divx does not support 3-warp GMC encoding since it really isn't that helpful.  Sure it is a lot better than 1 warping point but the quality boast is quite minimal in XviD considering that the slowdown is quite big.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #12
New:

Yes, I filed that bug report several months ago.  Good to see that they fixed it.  I guess it was somewhere about divx 5.1 when they decided that they wanted to make their decoder support all sorts of other mpeg4 codecs. 

BTW it isn't a big deal that divx does not support 3-warp GMC encoding since it really isn't that helpful.  Sure it is a lot better than 1 warping point but the quality boast is quite minimal in XviD considering that the slowdown is quite big.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226393"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From what I know none of the MPEG-4 codecs have optimal or near-optimal GMC implementations. I recall one of the XviD developers saying "GMC is fairly useless. The quality boost is negligible and the encoding/decoding performance is greatly impacted." or something to that effect.
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #13
I've had a play of it and tried setting my clock forward to see what happens.  It just comes up with a message saying the Pro version has expired and the Pro features are disabled....so it becomes the free version.

I think I will also continue using 5.1.1 (adware-supported) or switch to Xvid *shrugs*

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #14
New:

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226393"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what I finally decided after trying to find optimal encoding settings. The slight advantage is outweighed by the additional 20% CPU usage during decoding (encoded at 704x480, 24fps on a P4 1.5GHz).
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #15
or switch to Xvid *shrugs*

Why *shrugs* ?

I was under the impression that Xvid is a very competitive codec...
Wanna buy a monkey?

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #16
Well, very nice of Mr. 66.146.163.164 to flood HA registration system, apparently using *@divx.com and *@divxnetworks.com email addresses (responding to validation emails too). Multiple clones (incl. one obvious troll) banned, topic split in progress.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226390"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are you talking about zZzZzZzzzzzZzzzzzZZzZ?

you don't let multiple people from one company sign up on the forums?

thekid...
check out DivX Labs for the latest DivX Technology

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #17

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226407"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In his defense, it looked kind of suspicious to get four consecutive new members from that IP in such a short time. Especially since you first registered Taisho. Please keep such gimmick accounts to yourself.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #18

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226407"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In his defense, it looked kind of suspicious to get four consecutive new members from that IP in such a short time. Especially since you first registered Taisho. Please keep such gimmick accounts to yourself.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226408"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

those where four different people signing up to reply

Ryan - the crazy japanese replying guy (we will tell him to stop)
Ben - me, thekid, the sarcastic one
Darrius - he's the straight forwar guy
and Al - he's the hunky boy band type

There were no fake accounts created

thekid...
check out DivX Labs for the latest DivX Technology

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #19
Ok, please continue on-topic now.
Juha Laaksonheimo

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #20

Why *shrugs* ?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The *shrugs* was meant to say I'm undecided on whether to switch to Xvid or not.  It does have quite a lot of options which I'm not familiar with.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #21

Why *shrugs* ?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Xvid actually won the codec shootout on doom9 a while back, and that was beta.  Now it's final and really rocks.  I am looking forward to an good test between the new divx 5.2 and xvid >= 1.0.1 even though I will probably always use xvid  .  AutoGK and Xvid = free and easy, the way I like it  .

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #22
from the changelog it sounds like I'll use the good old 5.1.1 pro-adware (made non-extrusive) codec for a long time to come, aslong as there are no fundamental encoding changes.

From change log
    * Fully adaptive multiple consecutive B-frames
    * MPEG-2/H.263 quantization choice

This two items will make HUGE differences to the previous version of DivX. This is my speculation since I switch to XviD since its 1.0 beta. (and never look back)

In XviD, consecutive b-frame help improve compression ratio (and overall quality in the end) since b-frame is significantly smaller than P-frame. (previous version of DivX support only 1 consecutive b-frame)

MPEG quantizer is definetely A MUST for high bitrate encode (>900kbps for D1 resolution), you will get a lot shaper image from MPEG quant.

If you really hate adware (I do), you should consider XviD. Better quality if you config it correctly. BTW XviD interface is a lot better and easier to understand since 1.0.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #23
If you really hate adware (I do), you should consider XviD. Better quality if you config it correctly. BTW XviD interface is a lot better and easier to understand since 1.0.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why? DivX 5.2 has no adware in any bundle

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #24
 Not available for Mac yet!