Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping to HD-AAC? (Read 4092 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping to HD-AAC?

Pretty self-explanatory - how do I rip CDs into the new "HD-AAC" format that the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits ("Fraunhofer") announced a while back?

According to Fraunhofer, HD-AAC offers better-quality than CDs, in smaller file sizes... I currently maintain a massive (by consumer standards) music collection in 320kbs, however due to storage limitations, we're about to buy a second NAS (network attached atorage) server with lots and lots of storage that will be used exclusively for music (the current NAS server shares all our data) and I want to re-rip all of my CDs into something much better quality.

Extensive research has shown that in theory, HD-AAC is the best choice because it is backwards-compatible with AAC and natively supports full metadata - I was considering FLAC a while back, but I had a few problems with the metadata and album artwork...

Anyway, I seem to be turning a simple question into an essay, so I'll leave it at that - how do I rip CDs into HD-AAC?

Ripping to HD-AAC?

Reply #1
There is no lossy format that offers "much better quality" than 320 kbps. Try instead to solve your issues with FLAC, or choose a different lossless format.

Ripping to HD-AAC?

Reply #2
My understanding is that HD-AAC is hybrid lossless/lossy. The "better than CD" quality claim is related to support for 24 bit / 192 kHz sampling, but that won't improve quality when ripping CDs, the ripped files will remain 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. The advantage over FLAC (if I got this right) is that AAC-aware players will be able to play the lossy part even if they don't support HD-AAC.

In order to rip to HD-AAC, you need to find a command-line encoder (do they sell one?) and set up a custom command line in the "encoder" field of your ripper of choice (EAC or whatever).

What problems were you having with FLAC?