Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools DB (Read 292839 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools DB

Reply #100
Greg:
In ideal world CTDB shouldn't depend on AR at all

I understand that you trust your own software & that you want to be independent from Spoon.

It's not that. I think that users would benefit from my cooperation with Mr. Spoon, and if he decides to work together on CTDB and add CTDB support to dbPoweramp that would be great. But databases should be separate, because they are too different to depend on each other.

Have you been in contact with spoon. Posts on his forum indicate this is not a priority. However, maybe he would be willing to work with you to implement it in dBpoweramp? Please contact him. I would LOVE to have CTDB in dB.

CUETools DB

Reply #101
Mr. Spoon obviously reads this topic. I don't see the point in reminding him each day  Putting pressure on a developer usually doesn't help. Let him think about it.
CUETools 2.1.6

CUETools DB

Reply #102
Yes, its clear he reads it. My thought was if you were interested and he was willing, that you do the development of CTDB for integration with dBpoweramp. It does not seem that thats where he wants to dedicate his effort at this time, however, maybe if you were willing to do the development he would be more interested.

CUETools DB

Reply #103
Even without working together, now that we're in June, it would be nice if we could have both a new version of Cuetools & an update of the AR database ... say before the 13rd of the month ! (with the cuetools update coming slightly before the AR database update, it would be perfect ) ... not that I want to force you both with anything but as it seems that if write down my wish here, it will not fall in the ears of deaf developers, (even if once again off-topic), I thought that I would authorize myself to speak aloud so that I can, maybe, be fulfilled  It seems reasonnable no ? specially as there was no May AR update & even if the Cuetools update is minor. Nevermind if I ask too much (I just thought the timing was good).

CUETools DB

Reply #104
Thx to Spoon, the June update of AR is now online  if you plan to update Cuetools, Greg, plz do it spoon because the monthly update of my non-AR(2) rips will spoon begin

[Any update regarding silent tracks inconsistent handling & .toc support for enhanced CD would be specially welcomed !]

What does it have to do in the CTDB thread you ask ? ... well nothing except that I will check my damaged rips very spoon too.

Edit: Some accidentally added p typo have been striked through

CUETools DB

Reply #105
I'd like to help populating the database:

I have a few thousand CDs ripped (with dBpoweramp), stored as one-.flac-per-track, one-folder-per-disc. Is there a command line way to script "submit to CTDB" based on folder without running AR verification on each track, which would take a couple of weeks on my hardware?

If so: which ones should I exclude? I can identify the following:

- discs ripped with known errors -- "insecure" in dBpoweramp (or worse, getting an unrecoverable error in Secure mode and hence burst-ripped only to get a sound file out) will only pollute the database, right?

- discs Secure (Warning), i.e. re-ripped until 10 identical hits (where the max # of re-rips is sometimes set so high as 9999) -- if I include all these, the probability of at least one error would be fairly significant. Still worth submitting, or should they be left out?

- discs Secure but Inaccurate (i.e., different pressings). I could try to verify by CueTools first, is that any good for the purpose of submitting to CTDB? Should they then be offset-corrected? What about those which fail to verify -- different pressings sometimes do differ in bits?

- discs defective-by-design? Would be good if these deficiencies could be actually fixed in the database, but I cannot imagine there is any authorative way to tell which rip is "the right" for these.

- discs with HTOA, stored as track #0 (dBpoweramp's behaviour). Would I e.g. need to pre-generate a cuesheet?

- discs with data tracks.

CUETools DB

Reply #106
Hi,

I'm currently verifying my rips with CUETools.

I am getting some very strange results. Most of the times there are a lot of results in AR db and I'm lucky if there is any in the CTDB, and some other times there are even more results in the AR db and almost as many in the CTDB. Can this be explained?

Here are some examples: note how Aphex Twin CD has a fairly big number of rips in AR db and none in CTDB, and how Animal Collective CD has a lot of rips in AR db, matched by an equal number in CTDB

.\Allen Toussaint - 2009-04-20 - The Bright Mississippi\Allen Toussaint - 2009-04-20 - The Bright Mississippi.cue: unable to locate the audio files.
.\Animal Collective - 2005-10-18 - Feels\Animal Collective - 2005-10-18 - Feels.cue: AR: rip accurate (84/84), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 79.
.\Animal Collective - 2007-09-11 - Strawberry Jam\Animal Collective - 2007-09-11 - Strawberry Jam.cue: AR: rip accurate (97/97), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 90.
.\Animal Collective - 2009-01-20 - Merriweather Post Pavilion\Animal Collective - 2009-01-20 - Merriweather Post Pavilion.cue: AR: rip accurate (238/238), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 238.
.\Aphex Twin - 2001-10-23 - Drukqs (disc 1)\Aphex Twin - 2001-10-23 - Drukqs (disc 1).cue: AR: rip accurate (85/85), CTDB: disk not present in database.
.\Aphex Twin - 2001-10-23 - Drukqs (disc 2)\Aphex Twin - 2001-10-23 - Drukqs (disc 2).cue: AR: rip accurate (80/80), CTDB: disk not present in database.
.\Arcade Fire - 2004-09-14 - Funeral\Arcade Fire - 2004-09-14 - Funeral.cue: AR: rip accurate (598/600), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 585.
.\Artifacts - 1994-10-25 - Between a Rock and a Hard Place\Artifacts - 1994-10-25 - Between a Rock and a Hard Place.cue: AR: rip accurate (3/3), CTDB: disk not present in database.
.\Arts the Beat Doctor - 2007-07-12 - Transitions\Arts the Beat Doctor - 2007-07-12 - Transitions.cue: AR: rip accurate (1/1), CTDB: disk not present in database.
.\At the Drive-In - 2000-09-12 - Relationship of Command\At the Drive-In - 2000-09-12 - Relationship of Command.cue: AR: rip accurate (36/36), CTDB: disk not present in database.
.\Audioslave - 2002-11-19 - Audioslave\Audioslave - 2002-11-19 - Audioslave.cue: AR: rip accurate (545/803), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 513.

And those two CDs are the most strange to me:

.\Audioslave - 2005-05-24 - Out of Exile\Audioslave - 2005-05-24 - Out of Exile.cue: AR: rip accurate (581/589), CTDB: verified OK, confidence 513.
.\Audioslave - 2006-09 - Revelations\Audioslave - 2006-09 - Revelations.cue: AR: rip accurate (454/458), CTDB: disk not present in database.

CUETools DB

Reply #107
I'd like to help populating the database:

I have a few thousand CDs ripped (with dBpoweramp), stored as one-.flac-per-track, one-folder-per-disc. Is there a command line way to script "submit to CTDB" based on folder without running AR verification on each track, which would take a couple of weeks on my hardware?

I also have a few thousand discs I have personally ripped w/ dBpoweramp. All of them are accurate/secure. Mine are ripped as single files and all stored as FLACs (no cues, TOCs are in FLACs as metadata). A utility to scan my library and submitt to CTDB would be nice.

CUETools DB

Reply #108
Gregory, would you consider creating an exe that another ripper could use to access CTDB? In the case of dbpoweramp, it has the option to run a DSP called "run external" ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp-dsp.htm ). This would allow an external exe to scan the results of the rip as well as read the log file. If the rip is accurate it could be added to the CTDB. If it needs to be repaired and its in the CTDB this option could be given. It could also add results of confirmation for accuracy to the log and possibly to the meta-data of the ripped files. It doesn't sound like spoon will be adding support any time soon, but this may be a way to get it in there.

CUETools DB

Reply #109

A utility to scan my library and submitt to CTDB would be nice.

CUETools already does half of this (not the scanning part, but perhaps some clever bloke could write a script for that?), just verify your albums with Submit selected in the pulldown menu.

CUETools DB

Reply #110

A utility to scan my library and submitt to CTDB would be nice.

CUETools already does half of this (not the scanning part, but perhaps some clever bloke could write a script for that?), just verify your albums with Submit selected in the pulldown menu.

As much as I would like to help the database I don't plan to manually go through thousands of albums. If I am missing a way to do this w/ CT please let me know.

CUETools DB

Reply #112
As much as I would like to help the database I don't plan to manually go through thousands of albums. If I am missing a way to do this w/ CT please let me know.

Just select a folder with your rips, choose 'Verify' action and 'submit' from the list below.

Looks like CTDB could now be more fully integrated by an outside developer as spoon has opened the DSP architecture:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85243

That would be very nice. I'll be glad to help.
CUETools 2.1.6

CUETools DB

Reply #113
When trying to validate a rip, I get this error:
The specified path, file name, or both are too long.

Maybe the output path (for the log) was too long - the default template places it somewhere like C:\Documents and settings\username\My Music\.... which can easily get too long. I'll think how to handle this case better, maybe by abbreviating artist/album names to something shorter when generating a path.

1. Was this fixed?

Even with the information about the output path, the total path still seems less than 260, so I can't figure this out.

2. Are the names for album and tracks taken from the filenames or from the tags? I ask because I shortened the filenames and folder names significantly, yet I still see the error.

Thanks.

CUETools DB

Reply #114
Looks like CTDB could now be more fully integrated by an outside developer as spoon has opened the DSP architecture:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85243

That would be very nice. I'll be glad to help.

Gregory, are you indicating your intention to work on/develop a DSP to bring CTDB to dBpoweramp or your willingness to help a developer do so. Its just unclear to my how to read your response. Hopefully you intend to develop the DSP as no one has the knowledge set you have re CTDB.

CUETools DB

Reply #115
Gregory, there have been recent discussion regarding consistent errors from drives, rippers, or discs. What information does CTDB store about the source of its data? Is the submitting drive and/or ripper stored? What about the source (previously ripped, vs cd ripper, etc...)

CUETools DB

Reply #116
Do you have to rip the disc using CueTools Ripper for a disc to be submitted or is disc submitted when using verify in CueTools?

CUETools DB

Reply #118
Gregory, can CueTools read the CD TOC tags used by dbpoweramp? Many CDs I have are not recognized as being in the AccurateRip DB when they are. Likely, because there are no CUE files. However, the songs are tagged with the CD TOC tag and that should be enough to recognize the disc in the AR DB.

CUETools DB

Reply #119
Gregory, can CueTools read the CD TOC tags used by dbpoweramp? Many CDs I have are not recognized as being in the AccurateRip DB when they are. Likely, because there are no CUE files. However, the songs are tagged with the CD TOC tag and that should be enough to recognize the disc in the AR DB.

I am not sure if CDTOC contains sufficient information, but the ACCURATERIPDISCID tag should?

CUETools DB

Reply #120
Gregory, another question for you. How does CTDB identify unique discs? Pressings of the same data with different offsets are, basically the same discs. But what if a disc is remastered but has the same number of tracks with same tracks lengths, but different audio because its remastered?

CUETools DB

Reply #121
Gregory, are you indicating your intention to work on/develop a DSP to bring CTDB to dBpoweramp or your willingness to help a developer do so.

The latter.

Gregory, there have been recent discussion regarding consistent errors from drives, rippers, or discs. What information does CTDB store about the source of its data? Is the submitting drive and/or ripper stored? What about the source (previously ripped, vs cd ripper, etc...)

It does store the submitting drive and unique user id hash. So it's possible in theory to eliminate erroneous submissions if a certain drive is found to be malfunctioning. In practice this hasn't been used yet. CTDB's purpose is not so much to tell a good rip from a bad rip, but to provide user with means to fix his copy, when he is certain that his copy is damaged and there is an undamaged one in database. It's up to user to decide on those things.

Do you have to rip the disc using CueTools Ripper for a disc to be submitted or is disc submitted when using verify in CueTools?

Currently, apart from CUETools ripper you can submit a disc using verify in CueTools if you select 'submit' mode explicitly. By default CUETools doesn't submit anything. Also, as the number of ripper submissions grows, i will disable CueTools submissions at a certain point.

CUETools doesn't support this tag currently. If CD TOC tag contains enough information, e.g. length of each track in frames including the last one, this should be enough to identify a disc, so i will keep that in mind.

I am not sure if CDTOC contains sufficient information, but the ACCURATERIPDISCID tag should?

If i remember correctly, CUETools recognizes this tag.

Gregory, another question for you. How does CTDB identify unique discs? Pressings of the same data with different offsets are, basically the same discs. But what if a disc is remastered but has the same number of tracks with same tracks lengths, but different audio because its remastered?

So far, i've never seen remasters having the same TOC. If this happens, those discs will have the same Id, but database can handle several entries with same Id. When correcting a rip you will be presented with a list of entries with this id, but will be able to use correction only with one of them. The other entry will look like it has too many differences with your disc to be used.

There's a similar example currently in database. I seem to remember that there are two sets of pressings for original CD release of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Probably this: http://db.cuetools.net/index.php?tocid=Md6...IFPA3GiDVrsn5c- Those are not remasters, but differ slightly, perhaps in several hundred samples. One variant has AR confidence of 233, the second one - 530. My guess is, one of the master discs for this CD contained inaudible errors, and about 30% of all produced CDs have exactly the same errors. Using CTDB you can switch back and forth between those two variants and try to find out which one is 'right'. I wasn't able to hear any difference in the sound at the locations indicated by CTDB, but perhaps you can find out by looking at the waveshapes using Audacity or something like that.
CUETools 2.1.6

CUETools DB

Reply #122
Gregory, are you indicating your intention to work on/develop a DSP to bring CTDB to dBpoweramp or your willingness to help a developer do so.

The latter.

Thanks for the answer. Maybe if you find the time you could lay the groundwork with an open source DSP plug-in for CTDB. Honestly, I don't think anyone but you has the expertise and interest to get the project off the ground. I am very thankful spoon opened up the DSP architecture, now hopefully some developers take advantage of this.

CUETools DB

Reply #123
I'm new to this forum.  I have had a bug about good rips since I started about 10 years ago.  I have taken Spoon's advice on hardware and software with great success.  One of his recommendations was Plextor Drives.  I bought the Plextor Premium which has Plextools.  This program gives me the ability to analyze my discs and measure the C1, C2 and uncorrectable errors.  I have ripped over 3,000 CD's.  I use EAC to rip all my CD's.  I predate the accurate rip DB.  What I have found is about 10% of the new CD's I purchase will be a very poor pressing with High C1, C2 and uncorrectable errors.  Frankly, I believe that the record companies know that they are selling garbage.  I take the reports to the retailer and return defective discs all the time.  I've given up on exchanging them for the same disc because every time I have, the replacement has been defective also.  Some artists have even sued the record companies for putting out junk. 

In a nutshell, I find that it is the individual tracks that need to be replaced.  Most of the CD is acceptable except for one or two tracks.  With accurate rip I add (def) to the track name so I can identify it latter. 

I believe that if you have the ability to correct the errors on a given CD (to minimize size of the DB) it may be possible to address the individual tracks as a subset and correct only those tracks that need to be.  Ideally we would all have tracks that are comparable to the master itself.  The greatest challenge will be to have a bit perfect copy to use as the master.  I am looking forward to testing all my CD's and check the quality of my rips especially for those that I ripped prior to accurate rip.  BTW If you have a bad pressing even the accurate rip DB may be wrong.  I have over 40,000 tracks and I am sure I will be adding to my list of defective tracks.

I am enthusiastically in favor of these efforts and I will be happy to contribute any way I can.

Tunetyme

CUETools DB

Reply #124
I ran verify and submit on my Rock Collection over 2,200 CD's.  I copied the info from the results pane.  It would be nice if there was a log file that organized the info and recommend a course of action to address each of the exceptions.  All have been ripped with EAC secure mode and about half predate accurate rip.

Here is the letter A from my Rock Collection I am assuming that this is a representative sample of my entire Rock Collection with 74 CD’s.  Some discs had multiple print outs with listing 2 different songs.  The key question is what to do with the info and how do I address the ones that could not be verified?

Letter A Test of Cue Tools verification

AccurateRip: disk not present in database, will not submit.

\ABBA\Gold, Greatest Hits
\AC DC\Back In Black
\AC DC\Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
\AC DC\Highway To Hell
\Aerosmith\Done With Mirrors
\Aerosmith\Get A Grip
\Aerosmith\Get Your Wings
\Aerosmith\Greatest Hits
\AC DC\High Voltage
\Aerosmith\Nine Lives
\Aerosmith\Permanent Vacation
\Aerosmith\Pump
\Aerosmith\Rocks
\Aerosmith\Toys In The Attic
\Aguilera, Christina\Stripped
\Air Supply\The Definitive Collection
\Allman Brothers Band, The\A Decade Of Hits
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Brothers And Sisters
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Dreams Disc 1
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Dreams Disc 2
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Dreams Disc 3
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Dreams Disc 4
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Eat A Peach
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Idlewild South
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Live at Ludlow Garage Disk 1
\Allman Brothers Band, The\The Legendary Hits
\America\America's Greatest Hits - History
\America\Encore- More Greatest Hits
\Animals, The\The Best of the Animals
\Animals, The\The Complete Animals Disc 2
\Anka, Paul\His All Time Greatest Hits (30th Anniversary Collecti
\Ant, Adam\Antics in the Forbidden Zone
\Archies, The\Sugar, Sugar
\Argent\Greatest Hits
\Asia\Asia
\Asia\The Very Best of Asia- Heat of the Moment (1982-1990)
\Association, The\Greatest Hits!
\Astley, Rick\Greatest Hits
\Atlanta Rhythm Section\A Rock And Roll Alternative
\Atlanta Rhythm Section\The Best of Atlanta Rhythm Section [20th Century        Masters- The Millennium Collection]
\Atlantic Starr\Ultimate Collection
\Avalon, Frankie\The Frankie Avalon Collection
\Average White Band, The\AWB

recently verified: AR: database access error: Unable to connect to the remote server, CTDB: BadRequest.

\AC DC\Let There Be Roc
\AC DC\Powerage
\Adams, Bryan\Bryan Adams (Remastered)
\Adams, Bryan\Cuts Like A Knife
\Adams, Bryan\Into The Fire
\Adams, Bryan\On A Day Like Today
\Adams, Bryan\Reckless
\Adams, Bryan\Room Service
\Adams, Bryan\You Want It You Got It
\Adams, Bryan\11 (Deluxe Edition)
\Adams, Bryan\Waking Up The Neighbours

synchronization was lost.

\Action, The\Rolled Gold
\Adams, Bryan\So Far So Good
\Amboy Dukes, The\Loaded For Bear-The Best of Ted Nugent Ad The Amboy Dukes
\Ashford & Simpson\The Best of Ashford & Simpson

AccurateRip: confidence too low, will not submit.

\Amboy Dukes, The\Migration
\Animals, The\Animal Tracks (Japanese Edition)
\Animals, The\The Singles Plus Disc 1
\Association, The\Songs That Made Them Famous (1984)
\Atlanta Rhythm Section\Third Annual Pipe Dream

AR: offset X, rip accurate (X/Y), CTDB: disk not present in database, XY- has been uploaded.

\Allman Brothers Band, The\Beginnings
\Allman Brothers Band, The\Seven Turns
\Alpert, Herb\Definitive Hits
\Alpert, Herb\Going Places
\Ambrosia\Anthology
\Animals, The\The Singles Plus Disc 2
\April Wine\Best Of

recently verified: AR: rip accurate (X/Y).

\AC DC\For Those About To Rock
\Adams, Bryan\18 'Til I Die

CUEToolsDB: verified OK, confidence 112.

\a-ha\Hunting High and Low

AR: rip not accurate (0/2), CTDB: could not be verified, will not submit.

\Animals, The\The Complete Animals Disc 1

Tunetyme