Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SACD Ripping (Read 61211 times) previous topic - next topic

SACD Ripping

Reply #76
In order to avoid any possible differences caused just because of a different performance of the DAC at different sample rates, it's better to play processed files always at 24 bit 96 KHz.

I mean, get the 24/96 files, convert them to 16/44.1, and back to 24/96, and compare them with the originals, in order to test just the differences caused by reduction in bitdepth and bandwitdh.

A test like this was performed some time ago, with interesting results:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....opic=17118&st=0

SACD Ripping

Reply #77
my webspace is up again!

you can download the track here:
Hollister - Bismarck (full 24-96 original unmastered).wv

have fun
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333593"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice dry recording! I like the song in a way, only the drums are a bit "childish", if you know what I mean. The piano at the end (or synthesizer) could be more stereo. But I like it!

Regards,
jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.

SACD Ripping

Reply #78
Nice dry recording! I like the song in a way, only the drums are a bit "childish", if you know what I mean. The piano at the end (or synthesizer) could be more stereo. But I like it!

Regards,
jacco
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the credits go to OnyxRev who offered us this track here:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35624]Full 24/96khz unmastered track for tests/analysis, Full res material for misc. use.[/url]

i think track-related things should be discussed there
member of the "i have a cat-avatar"-group ;)

SACD Ripping

Reply #79

Regards,
jacco
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the credits go to OnyxRev who offered us this track here:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35624]Full 24/96khz unmastered track for tests/analysis, Full res material for misc. use.[/url]

i think track-related things should be discussed there
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333646"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, you are right. But I am happy to read over there that it was indeed not a real piano (Roland), as I thought to hear before I read that thread.

Regards,
Jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.

SACD Ripping

Reply #80
I think that SACD definitely sounds better than CD, based on my experience listening to a good number of Sony releases in both formats. Not all are strictly comparable in terms of who did the mastering - but in general I hear more detail, particularly in quiet passages. Also more dynamics. When the music gets loud and lots of instruments are playing, SACD seems to maintain a clearer representation of the instruments without loss of their individual voices.

As for mastering at 24/96 - I just got myself a M-Audio Audiophile 192 card, and transferred my first LP side to digital. I actually recorded at teh highest sampling rate (192KHz) and played around with the waves a bit - then I downsampled to 96Khz and used Audio DVD Creator to create a DVD-V with hi-res stereo that I could play on my Sony DVD/SACD player (I don't have DVD-A nor the tools to create a DVD-A). The sound was great and indistinguishable from the LP. I played them sid by side and switched from one to the other - I could hear no difference at all.

I really didn't need to record at 192 KHz, but I was just messing around. I like the idea of burning DVD-Vs of old LPs at 24/96 resolution. I could try doing DVD-As at 192 KHz but I doubt I would gain much, and I'd need to get a player and the software tools. I don't even know what software can do DVD-As.

SACD Ripping

Reply #81
well, your preference of sacd vs. cd will be only due to the different masterings.
As you have the knowledge to make your own 24/96 recordings, you could participate in the testing, get something in 24/96 stereo as original, even  your vinyl recording would be fine,
and then make 1 comparison track:
1. 24/96 downsample to 44.1/16 (including dithering) -> 2. upsample to 24/96 again.

Compare these 2 24/96 tracks in A/B trials on your HiFi, if you think you hear a difference, try ABX to exclude placebo.