Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABBA's Dancing Queen (Read 6832 times) previous topic - next topic

ABBA's Dancing Queen

I've read that the best CD source for ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 2 pre-remaster. (Source) I've read that "Dancing Queen" has inverted stereo. (Source) I also believe I've read somewhere that the Gold version had stereo anomalies and the Greatest Hits Vol 2 version was pretty much the same without the anomalies.

So my question is this: Can I essentially get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 version of "Dancing Queen" by simply swapping the channels of the Gold version, or is the anomaly more complicated than just a left/right swap?
Project Leader of DDResampled

ABBA's Dancing Queen

Reply #1
I have ABBA Gold, and I never noticed anything wrong.

I wouldn't know if left/right were reversed.  I have no idea how the group sets-up physically, and it's not something I even think about...

ABBA's Dancing Queen

Reply #2
There have been a number of different remastetrings of ABBA Gold over the years.

1992 Tretow - Remastered by Michael B. Tretow. Original dynamic range intact although rather bright EQ at times
1999 Astley - Terrible EQ, heaps of compression and a whole lot of Noise Reduction
2008 Jonsson - Very very loud, no noise reduction and better EQ than Astley.

Dancing Queen sounds different in all of these versions, and also sounds different again in the Greatest Hits Vol. 2 CD.

Rudolf Ondrich, I am the webmaster of http://www.abbajustlikethat.comyr.com/

ABBA's Dancing Queen

Reply #3
http://www.abbajustlikethat.comyr.com/1_4_...ile-Corner.html

Wow - I never knew!

(I knew some Abba CDs sounded awful, but I didn't know the story was even worse than The Beatles CDs!)

Thanks for posting that Rudolf. Back to the vinyl then! (though sadly that isn't always in the best condition - people actually played their Abba records!  )

Cheers,
David.

ABBA's Dancing Queen

Reply #4
I've read that the best CD source for ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is ABBA's Greatest Hits Vol 2 pre-remaster. (Source) I've read that "Dancing Queen" has inverted stereo. (Source) I also believe I've read somewhere that the Gold version had stereo anomalies and the Greatest Hits Vol 2 version was pretty much the same without the anomalies.

So my question is this: Can I essentially get a Greatest Hits Vol 2 version of "Dancing Queen" by simply swapping the channels of the Gold version, or is the anomaly more complicated than just a left/right swap?

I have the original copy from the album, Arrival. Sounds great to me!