IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
libfdk_aac for encoding AAC: Where and how do I get it, libfdk_aac needs faq or guide
J.Fleming
post Feb 13 2013, 09:51
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106606

According to various guides, like this one:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide

The best AAC encoder to use is libfdk_aac, the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library. FFMpeg supports encoding with it.

However, I have been searching Google for hours now on how to get the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library, to no avail. Apparently, no one wants it, or no one has ever asked about it? I'm VERY VERY confused.

Where would I go to purchase libfdk_aac? How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Can't for the life of me believe or understand why there isn't a single FAQ or guide written to explain this extremely basic and fundamental information.

Please forgive my attitude, I'm just VERY frustrated right now and I do realize I am probably being extremely idiotic and missing something VERY basic. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jplus
post Feb 13 2013, 10:15
Post #2

Member No.: 106471

If I'm not mistaken Fraunhofer AAC is included in Winamp.

Note that the FFMpeg page fails to mention a few other common AAC codecs. This relatively recent public listening test seems to indicate that QuickTime is at least as good as Fraunhofer. You can get all of its functionality on Windows with the QAAC tool if I'm right.
+Quote Post
bat_guano
post Feb 13 2013, 11:25
Post #3

Member No.: 105656

QUOTE (J.Fleming @ Feb 13 2013, 10:51) *
The best AAC encoder to use is libfdk_aac, the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library. FFMpeg supports encoding with it.

How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Hi
You would need to compile FFmpeg yourself configured with options including "--enable-nonfree --enable-libfdk-aac".
There's some information at the Zeranoe forum here ---> Zeranoe forum
But it's not an 'easy' job.

Otherwise, try to find the program "fdkaac.exe" using google, or compile it yourself. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Ubscene
post Feb 13 2013, 13:10
Post #4

Member No.: 93162

QUOTE (J.Fleming @ Feb 13 2013, 10:51) *
According to various guides, like this one:

https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide

However, I have been searching Google for hours now on how to get the Fraunhofer FDK AAC codec library, to no avail. Apparently, no one wants it, or no one has ever asked about it? I'm VERY VERY confused.

Where would I go to purchase libfdk_aac? How would I install and configure it to work on Windows with FFMpeg?

Can't for the life of me believe or understand why there isn't a single FAQ or guide written to explain this extremely basic and fundamental information.

Please forgive my attitude, I'm just VERY frustrated right now and I do realize I am probably being extremely idiotic and missing something VERY basic. sad.gif

You can easily create a working ffmpeg with this script https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers/ (in a linux box or linux VM). It really does not take a lot of effort, just read the readme, everything else is automatic.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 14:39