Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD—which mode is best out of CDParanoia, XLD Secure Ripper, or Burst? (Read 13798 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD—which mode is best out of CDParanoia, XLD Secure Ripper, or Burst?

Was wondering for the CD rip settings do you guys use CDParanoia III 10.2, XLD Secure Ripper, or Burst???

Which one is the best???

I use LAME 3.99 @ 320 kbps and just wanted to know which settings the best.

Reply #1
I use XLD Secure Ripper because it was designed specifically for the software by the developer.

Ripping to lossless is my preference (for archival purposes,) but that setting is my recommendation FWIW.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #2
Yes, that mode is superior to the others. Briefly, burst mode performs no checking or correction for errors; and CDParanoia is outdated, not as robust, and may potentially stress the drive if I remember correctly.

Reply #3
Yes, that mode is superior to the others. Briefly, burst mode performs no checking or correction for errors; and CDParanoia is outdated, not as robust, and may potentially stress the drive if I remember correctly.

Correct. I only add that XLD uses AccurateRip verification, so if a CD is found in its database one could safely use the faster burst mode and revert to Secure should the verification fail.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #4
...XLD uses AccurateRip verification, so if a CD is found in its database one could safely use the faster burst mode and revert to Secure should the verification fail.
How much faster would that be?
Perhaps it would make a handy XLD option to start a rip in burst mode and automatically switch to a secure mode if AR verification fails.

Reply #5
...XLD uses AccurateRip verification, so if a CD is found in its database one could safely use the faster burst mode and revert to Secure should the verification fail.
How much faster would that be?

Roughly twice or three times faster, without a real measure ever taken by me. Let's say faster enough to say: wow, it's waaay faaaster!

Perhaps it would make a handy XLD option to start a rip in burst mode and automatically switch to a secure mode if AR verification fails.

This would be waaay smarter! The optimum would be an option to automate completely the process of choosing a ripping mode and falling back to another according to AR db presence and verification result track by track.
Is the developer, which if I'm not wrong is (was?) an HA member, listening?
... I live by long distance.