Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Create playlists out of every album (Read 2567 times) previous topic - next topic

Create playlists out of every album

As title says:

Is there a way to create a playlist for every album in my media library? I don't wanna go through 50gb of music  manually, will take forever.

*edit*
The main reason for this is to be able to "play" those playlists from the launchy applikation. As it is now, if I pick an album in launchy and press enter, it opens up an explorer window containing all music from that album. I want the whole album to open up in foobar instead. The only way I can imagine this is possible is to use playlists to open from launchy. */edit*

Reply #1
As title says:

Is there a way to create a playlist for every album in my media library? I don't wanna go through 50gb of music  manually, will take forever.

*edit*
The main reason for this is to be able to "play" those playlists from the launchy applikation. As it is now, if I pick an album in launchy and press enter, it opens up an explorer window containing all music from that album. I want the whole album to open up in foobar instead. The only way I can imagine this is possible is to use playlists to open from launchy. */edit*

http://rapidshare.com/files/89351108/Gener...ylists.zip.html

This is a program I made to generate playlists. It works best if you have your albums and tracks organized strictly the way I have them, which is: "root music folder/genre/artist/year-album/track-title.extension". It may work with other folder structures as well, but I haven't tested it. (Playlists by year require the year-album folder naming though, obviously.)

You'll need an existing folder where it will put your playlists. (Warning: this folder will have its content erased.) If you want playlists by year as well, you'll need another (different) folder for that. (Same warning.) (The playlists by year will be put in the main folder, but it needs this one as a temporary folder.)  Finally, if you have manually made playlists that you want to use, you need yet another folder and put the playlists in there. (This one will not be erased. )

You can have multiple root music folders, the program will merge them. If it encounters the same album twice, the first one will be used. (This is nice if you have lossless and lossy versions of the same albums. Put the lossless version first and that's the one that will be used. Folder and file names have to be the same but the extension can vary.)

The program generates .m3u8 files.

Final optional step is using the playlists folder as your "My Music" folder in the start menu. Use Tweak UI for that.

No guarantees that it works. I've been using it for like a year (upgrading it now and then) without any problems, but I'm rather anal about folder structures for my music.

No viruses either, but I can hardly expect anyone to trust me. Hell, I wouldn't trust me myself. No source code because it's at home.

Reply #2

As title says:

*edit*

http://rapidshare.com/files/89351108/Gener...ylists.zip.html

This is a program I made to generate playlists. It works best if you have your albums and tracks organized strictly the way I have them, which is: "root music folder/genre/artist/year-album/track-title.extension". It may work with other folder structures as well, but I haven't tested it. (Playlists by year require the year-album folder naming though, obviously.)

You'll need an existing folder where it will put your playlists. (Warning: this folder will have its content erased.) If you want playlists by year as well, you'll need another (different) folder for that. (Same warning.) (The playlists by year will be put in the main folder, but it needs this one as a temporary folder.)  Finally, if you have manually made playlists that you want to use, you need yet another folder and put the playlists in there. (This one will not be erased. )

You can have multiple root music folders, the program will merge them. If it encounters the same album twice, the first one will be used. (This is nice if you have lossless and lossy versions of the same albums. Put the lossless version first and that's the one that will be used. Folder and file names have to be the same but the extension can vary.)

The program generates .m3u8 files.

Final optional step is using the playlists folder as your "My Music" folder in the start menu. Use Tweak UI for that.

No guarantees that it works. I've been using it for like a year (upgrading it now and then) without any problems, but I'm rather anal about folder structures for my music.

No viruses either, but I can hardly expect anyone to trust me. Hell, I wouldn't trust me myself. No source code because it's at home.

Cool, i'll check it out when I get home, thanks!

*edit* It works! Thanks