Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting flac 24bit/96k to MP3 vbr, receiving unwarranted results (Read 6208 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting flac 24bit/96k to MP3 vbr, receiving unwarranted results

I'm converting a group of .flac through the custom Lame with "--noreplaygain -V 1 --lowpass 19.7 - %d".  With these high quality files, my result is 48Khz (perfect), 32bit float (weird), and a 16kHz cutoff (WOAH!).  I am not sure why LAME V 1 is deciding to do this.  Does anyone know how I can get around this?  BTW, I'm using LAME 3.100alpha2.  Thanks guys.

Just tried it with 3.99.5 with the same results.

Reply #1
Figured out that part of my problem was a song with insignificant data beyond 16kHz.  I'm was using Smashing Pumpkins- Tonight Tonight.  I'm new to formats about 44kHz so please forgive me.  I'm not using a test song with data througout the allowed range, and it is now being cut off at my parameter.

I'm still confused why Lame is choosing 32bit float.  I still need some straightening out, thank you all.

Reply #2
Figured out that part of my problem was a song with insignificant data beyond 16kHz.  I'm was using Smashing Pumpkins- Tonight Tonight.  I'm new to formats about 44kHz so please forgive me.
FWIW, all music files will have insignificant data beyond 20-22kHz.

I'm still confused why Lame is choosing 32bit float.  I still need some straightening out, thank you all.
Lossy formats don't have a bit depth. Where did you see that number? Probably the output bit depth of your player or the bit depth of your audio workstation project?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
Okie Dokie, that answers me question.

Reply #4
FWIW, all music files will have insignificant data beyond 20-22kHz.

I get your point and absolutely agree, but nevertheless I've seen many graphs of albums gotten through HDTracks (and the like) where frequency content stops at 22khz or less and the analyzed dynamic range was the same as the first CD version. In other words, a scam. I believe there were discussions in this site on the matter.

Edit: here you go.

Reply #5
I never put in doubt that HDTracks offerings are mostly scam. On the contrary, I tried to point out exactly that.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #6
I never put in doubt that HDTracks offerings are mostly scam. On the contrary, I tried to point out exactly that.

Yeah, I only wanted to say it out loud. Maybe I expressed myself wrongly, apologies. I know you know.