Reply to this topicStart new topic
Emailing MP3's.
haylo
post Dec 18 2006, 01:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 36910

Hi,

I've recently started using LAME after finding out that it's better than the Fraunhoeffer encoding process. There's still a lot I don't understand about it....I've checked out the FAQ on various LAME settings, but it's a little overwhelming. For my own general use, I've settled on some switches that have been recommended.

Can anyone recommend a good setting to use for emailing MP3's? What annoyed me with the Fraunhoeffer MP3 process, was that by the time I got the quality down to where it would attach to an email, it had that terrible warbly sound.

I'm assuming that with LAME, there's a pretty good ABR setting for this. From what I've read so far, VBR is good for higher bitrates, and ABR is good for lower bitrates. I haven't messed with ABR yet, though.

So if someone could make a suggestion: in your experience, what is the LOWEST ABR setting you can get before you start hearing artifacts? Since it's for emailing music clips, I understand that a little bit of sacrifice in quality might be made, but I'd like to learn how to exploit the LAME process for the best quality, lowest bitrate to attach to emails.

I know about that chart with all the various settings on it, but honestly it confuses me. Just wondered if anyone could share their personal preferences, to give me a ballpark starting point.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dreamliner77
post Dec 18 2006, 01:29
Post #2

Member No.: 2427

You might be better served by a codec that's tuned for lower bitrates.

--------------------
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight." Neil Peart 'Resist'
+Quote Post
n3tfury
post Dec 18 2006, 01:32
Post #3

Member No.: 19096

or both sign up for gmail accounts which have a 10mb attachment limit. plenty of room for good sounding files. also, gmail has a built in player, which is nifty.
+Quote Post
haylo
post Dec 18 2006, 01:55
Post #4

Member No.: 36910

My email provider allows 10 MB attachments--I guess it's pretty common now--but I had just gotten frustrated, because I tried to attach a song that was longer than an average 3 minute track, and that's when I started having trouble. What do you mean by a codec tuned for lower bitrates? Thanks.
+Quote Post
odious_m
post Dec 18 2006, 02:15
Post #5

Member No.: 31428

QUOTE (haylo @ Dec 17 2006, 19:55) *
What do you mean by a codec tuned for lower bitrates?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=50888&hl=

EDIT: Or try -V 5 --vbr-new or -V 6 --vbr-new with LAME.

This post has been edited by odious_m: Dec 18 2006, 02:24
+Quote Post
senab
post Dec 18 2006, 11:43
Post #6

Member No.: 23690

Don't send large files by email, instead upload the file to a free file host (eg Rapidshare, etc.) and email the URL to the person. Large files on email clog up email servers across the world.

--------------------
::.. www.senab.co.uk
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 18:09