Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a good player application on Android (Read 7527 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a good player application on Android

OK, i know this might be very subjective, i also know this was asked before, but apps change as time goes by.
I'm looking for a good music player to put on an Android device (Samsung YP-GS1, it's not a smartphone but a "micro tablet"). I don't care free or commercial, i never understood why people can spend hundreds bucks to buy an Androïd device but can't spare 5 to support developpers 

I have a few requirements :
  • ReplayGain support (there are still many players out there without ReplayGain)
  • Ogg vorbis support
  • Support Playlist and "Library" selection
  • No automatic DSP to "enhance" your music that you can't even turn off
And a couple more "features" i'd like to see (in order) :

• Gapeless playback
  • Ability to read custom tags and use them for library browser
  • Low memory/battery footprint (well, as low as technically possible)
  • Automatic play/pause when connecting/disconnecting jack
  • Support A2DP (send audio signal over Bluetooth)
  • Widget to control playback
I don't care "nice" UI but i like functional UI and good features, on the PC my player is foobar2000.

I already tested a number of players but didn't found the "perfect" one yet. Probably there are little known players out there that would deserve more attention. That's why i posted this thread. 

OK : here are some players i found interesting and why i didn't settle for them so far :

• PowerAMP : probably the best i tested. Don't like the UI that much (why simulate round buttons for volume) but other than that, it looks like a very good player. I've read people are having issues with Bluetooth and i didn't got it working so far either.
  • Neutron Player : claims to be an "audiophile" player and i tend to be careful with those claims. My screen is too small for the UI (very small text as a result) and it keeps the Screen on while playing (battery drain) so i'll probably stay away from this one.
  • RockBox : Good old rockbox i loved on my Sansa has an Android port. That's great but it's still quite a beta.
  • DeadBeef : Good player but too much "playlist" driven for me. I miss some Library.
And that's it. I tested others but forgot their names as they were really not worth mentioning. Last one i wiped out of my Droid was DoubleTwist or something like this. Too much Apple-like for me, including painfull "features" that prevent you from accessing your SD card directly because it's designed to work with it's "desktop companion"!

Reply #1
I have a few requirements :

• ReplayGain support (there are still many players out there without ReplayGain)

I'm mostly using Google-play or whatever they're calling it these days (also have rockbox).

I got my first album (long, about 9.5 hours)  that I really feel needs replaygain (about +13 dB) and the Google player doesn't support it.  I found that on converting flac to mp3 foobar can put that in the mp3 file as real gain (instead of just tags), so that's how I'm going for the tablet.  Just a thought in case you find something you really like except for replaygain.

Reply #2
I use PowerAMP.  bluetooth works fine in my car, haven't tried anywhere else.  meets all the "requirements" you listed, and almost all of the "features".  just not sure if it reads custom tags and utilizes them for viewing.  tried rockbox, and the UI was WAY too small for me.

the only drawback (as far as I'm concerned) for PowerAMP with bluetooth (and maybe other outputs) is that it crossfades when manually changing tracks.  for exmple, if you press "next track" or "previous track" on a bluetooth device, it'll crossfade the tracks.  there may be a way to change that, but I haven't cared enough to check.

Reply #4
My favorite is the Deadbeef Player for Android.

I don't think it has a Library feature, although you can add folders or files to the playlist.

Gapless, replaygain, and even cue sheet support for flacs.

Reply #5
i use media monkey on my android device. it's still a beta, but have noticed no problems, maybe it has some of the items you need.

Reply #6
Have you tried winamp? FYI, 90% of android 'players' use androids built in features. IE built in library as well as vorbis support (since it's built into the OS by default). Rockbox will give you ultimate audio customizeability but it's still beta. If you dont need that winamp for droid is pretty good and gives you wireless synching with the desktop app if you use it.

Reply #7
Thanks for all answers.
I'll try GoneMAD. The features list is interesting. I completely forgot the Grandpa of them all  (WinAMP), i'll have a look too. Also, I'll dig further into the BT issue with PowerAMP.

Reply #8
Indeed, installing winamp for droid gave me a certain 'warm fuzzy' feeling, it plays anything android plays, has that 'good ol' winamp' look to it, AND bypasses jellybean's internal dsp completely.

Reply #9
I've installed Deadbeef on my Galaxy Ace 2 but the music folder on my SD card isn't showing up. How do I add it?

Reply #10
GMMP is good as for features but bad as for sound engine. The audio is very flat and inexpressive. Unfortunatelly there's not much more players playing Opus.

Reply #11
GMMP is good as for features but bad as for sound engine. The audio is very flat and inexpressive. Unfortunatelly there's not much more players playing Opus.

TOS 8 much?

Reply #13
I'm using Vanilla Music just now; it meets many of your requirements and worth a look.

Edit: Does require Android 4.x.

Reply #14
Another user of DeadBeeF here

Code: [Select]
Description
Player which can play many file formats + online radio (shoutcast)
* multiple playlists
* plays folders or specific files
* true gapless playback -- the player doesn't just skip silence, it calculates the precise amount of samples for each file, does sample-accurate seeking and playback, and gives sample-perfect result, just like CD players
* equalizer with 10 bands, it's possible to make your own presets
* viewing music file tags and album art
* replaygain
* shuffle tracks and shuffle albums mode
* last.fm scrobbling using last.fm or scrobbledroid apps
* plays many file formats - mp3, ogg, aac/mp4, alac/mp4, flac, ape, wv, wav, tta, mpc, sid, mod, s3m, nsf and many more
* automatic CUE support, with splitting images into tracks, and playing them gaplessly
* online streaming radio (shoutcast/icecast)
* full unicode support and automatic charset detection
* 4x1 widget (available as a separate download, search for "deadbeef player widget"
* you can choose one of three themes, Dark, Light and LCD
* works on android 1.6 and higher
* headset media buttons support
* plays files with up to 192KHz sampling rate, including 24 bit and multichannel files
* supports install to sd