Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: possible to generate an artist list in .txt? (Read 3399 times) previous topic - next topic

possible to generate an artist list in .txt?

hey,
my hdd seems to have died, so i was wondering if it is possible export a list of all artists/albums of sorts that i had on there to compare it to my backups and check what i need to rip or download again.
is there a script or something like that?
the paths are all still in foobar so it should be possible right?

also if somebody knows a way to automaticly compare the given artist/album list to the music folder on my backup hdd that would be great.

greetings from germany and thanks in advance

/e: with text tool it seems to only work with single tracks, what i would like would be a list of the folder structure as it was in my folder. so eg folder: fields of the nephilim subfolder: elizium and so on.

Reply #1
no one?

..yes i would compare by hand but that would take ages. had 300gb on music on that hdd (no flac).

Reply #2
I guess you could try editing 'Preferences/Advanced/Display/Legacy/Copy command' to something like %path%, so it would copy the folder structure.

The database is stored as database.dat in foobar's main folder, you might want to back that up just in case (and/or uncheck monitor for changes while running in Preferences/Library).

Reply #3
Install the add-on called 'Text tools' foo_texttools.zip is the file.
Highlight your whole library in Foobar.
Right click on it and select 'Utilities' => 'Text Tools' => 'Advanced...'
Fill in 'Track pattern' with the variables for the fields you want to see.
      Mine looks like this  %title%|%codec%|%bitrate%|%artist%|%album%|%tracknumber%
Then look in the 'Results:' , if you like what you see, click on the 'Copy' button and paste the results into a text editor or spreadsheet program.

Reply #4
I guess you could try editing 'Preferences/Advanced/Display/Legacy/Copy command' to something like %path%, so it would copy the folder structure.

The database is stored as database.dat in foobar's main folder, you might want to back that up just in case (and/or uncheck monitor for changes while running in Preferences/Library).

hm i changed that but then how do i copy? if i highlight my db it just copies "all music"
btw i didnt find that data file.

Install the add-on called 'Text tools' foo_texttools.zip is the file.
Highlight your whole library in Foobar.
Right click on it and select 'Utilities' => 'Text Tools' => 'Advanced...'
Fill in 'Track pattern' with the variables for the fields you want to see.
      Mine looks like this  %title%|%codec%|%bitrate%|%artist%|%album%|%tracknumber%
Then look in the 'Results:' , if you like what you see, click on the 'Copy' button and paste the results into a text editor or spreadsheet program.

i tried text tools already. it works but the problem is, that it copies every single song, which given the size of my db makes up a huge list.

another possibilty would be to sort my db by date / recently added.

found this:

How can I make a playlist containing files recently added to the media library?

One of the information which the official playback statistics component (foo_playcount) collects is the time a file was added to the Media Library. This data is accessible by the %added% field, so you can search by a query such as %added% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS in Facets, Album List, or Media Library Search.

but where is that "%added%" field?

Reply #5
"but where is that "%added%" field? "

I think you need to have installed foo_playcount (playback statistics) in order to have this available to you and  then have added your albums.

If you have a spreadsheet program (there are legitimate free ones for download), you can take your full list and "unique it" by whatever columns you want. Unique it means only show unique occurrences, hide the entries with similar values in whichever columns you choose.

Reply #6
I would recommend using dnuos for this.

https://bitheap.org/dnuos/

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see the part about your hard drive dying.

Reply #7
/e: with text tool it seems to only work with single tracks, what i would like would be a list of the folder structure as it was in my folder. so eg folder: fields of the nephilim subfolder: elizium and so on.

You can condense the text tools output by using the "advanced" option in the context menu. Then enter something like
Code: [Select]
[%album artist%] - [%album%]

and be sure to check the box next to "Skip duplicate/repeating lines". Do this with a playlist of both directories and create a diff of the sorted lists with any capable text editor/text comparison tool (e.g. Notepad++, jEdit, WinDiff).