Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the best method to deocde/burn WAV files? (Read 3872 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best method to deocde/burn WAV files?

Hi,

Seem like I'm doing too much posting here, but as a newbie I have much to learn. This is my first excursion with mp3.

I've been using Nero for Cd burning of all types, and now that I've been collecting mp3's I want to convert them to wav files and burn them to listen to in the car and office.

I've just been using Nero, which converts them on the fly to wav and burns them.

Should I continue this process? I really care about sound quality and have serious audiophile gear. Is there some other better way?

I installed the MAD plug in for winamp for listening to mp3's on my computer and it sounds great. I'd have no idea on how to use it to deocde/burn wav files if it turns out to be the best.

I'd love to hear what rig you all are using.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Blue

Reply #1
converting MP3 to WAV using Winamp
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Yes, winamp is one way, using the DiskWriter output and your MP3 decoder of choice.  One thing to be careful about when you do this though is to make sure that all DSP plugins and EQ's are disabled unless you actually want the decoded file to carry those altered attributes over to a .wav file (which most people don't want).

Another possibility (my preference) is to use Razorlame to queue up a bunch of mp3 files and decode via LAME.

Take your pic.

Reply #3
Hi,

Thanks for both responses.

Last question, are the two above methods any better than Nero? Is decoding with the same encoder always better?

If I use winamp with the MAD encoder, is this the same decoder?

Thanks, Blue

Reply #4
MAD ís a decoder.
And yes - many believe that MAD is a better decoder so you can use that instead.
It should be better at handling what is called clipping.

Jan.

Reply #5
If you wanna use MAD for decoding to wav files, I recommend that you use my MAD frontend. It's much easier to use for this job than Winamp. http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/mad_frontend.htm

Reply #6
Hi,

Thanks for the tip on your frontend. I d/l it and will try it today.