Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Variations of --alt-preset standard (Read 3032 times) previous topic - next topic

Variations of --alt-preset standard

Hi ..

I've encoded several cd's with it --alt-preset standard and i'm perfectly happy with the bitrate. So far it has been totaly transparant to my ears. I'm impressed by your work Dibrom, great job !

Now my questions:

I've got some recordings on my hd that i want to compress to mp3.

recording type 1:

Some rare  fm recorings (yeah i know fm sucks).
FM has a limit of 15kHz so a lowpass of 15.4 should be used.

--alt-preset standard -Y lowpass 15.4 ?

-Y because i want to ignore sfb21 shaping. Right or not ? Or is there a better setting ?

recording type 2:

Cabaret recorded from tv. Very much vocal stuff with here and there some music and songs.

--alt-preset standard -b 32 ?

When i look at the histogram in razorlame i noticed that the minimum bitrate was at 128 with the cd's i encoded (-b 128 in the preset ?). Is it wise to use -b 32, or is it to agresive with the other settings used in --alt-preset standard ? Silence's in the show are probably not real digital silence's because of low-frequency distortion from my tv/radio card.

recording type 3:

Concerts recorded from tv. When i look at the spectral view in cool edit (as far as i read/view it correctly) there is more high frequency stuff than with FM broadcasts.

--alt-preset standard ?

Does anybody know the exact cut-off frequency of tv ?

That's about it.  Thanks.