Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which cheap soundcard to choose? (Read 13961 times) previous topic - next topic

Which cheap soundcard to choose?

Reply #25
One swindled me!
I believed to buy a SB 128 PCI but I bought a SB vibra 128 (pci card...)

from creative driver download:

* Sound Blaster PCI128 (Model No. CT4700, CT4750 & CT4751)
* Sound Blaster PCI 128 (Model CT5808)
* SB 16 PCI (CT4740)
* Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (CT4810, CT4811, CT4812, CT4815 & CT4816)
* Vibra 128 (CT4810, CT4811, CT4812, CT4815 & CT4816)
Music is my first love.

Reply #26
Not sure which PCI128 I have, except it's a PCI128 "digital" and the drivers CD is © 2000 (I think that was the year I bought it).

I haven't updated the drivers in quite a while, mostly because the newer ones add absolutely nothing new, as far as I can tell.  Sometimes I'm happy not to be a gamer... what a PITA to keep up with the latest video cards, drivers, sound cards, DirectX versions... augghhh.. 

Reply #27
I also consider buying a new soundcard (I only have a very bad on-board soundcard ). What would be a better choice, 'Creative SoundBlaster Live Player 1024' or "Creative SB 128 PCI"?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #28
I also consider buying a new soundcard (I only have a very bad on-board soundcard ). What would be a better choice, 'Creative SoundBlaster Live Player 1024' or "Creative SB 128 PCI"?

I personally would go for Live! Player 1024 (because of kX Project drivers).

Reply #29

what are "kx Project drivers"?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #30

what are "kx Project drivers"?

Link in my signature - these are alternative drivers for all Creative or E-mu soundcards based on EMU10k1 and EMU10k2 DSPs.
And they work very good and aren't bloated (like CL drivers originally).

Reply #31
What about the Terratec 128i PCI? Has anyone owned/heard this sound card?
Is it able to drive 250 Ohm headphones without an extra amplifier?
All I need is good quality pure stereo sound for very little money...
Is the 128i a good choice?

Thanks for any info

Reply #32
Just wondering...

I have a SB PCI 16 in one of my XP machines.  I've just been using the generic driver that Windows installs.  What does the Creative Drivers have to offer?  (What I'm really looking for is an eq in the windows mixer to compensate for the poor speakers with that machine)
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #33

Ok, I just got the SoundBlaster Live Player 1024 (CT4760). I hope that it was a good choice . Should I install the newest 'KX' drivers? Will these drivers slow down my CPU? 'Cause I thought that a soundcard would rather increase the speed of my CPU since there is a separate chip only for processing the sound...

Reply #34
From different soundcards I've tested with my amp and speakers, I found the best soundcard to be a cheap one, which is surprising, because all the other soundcards in the same pricerange I've tested (SB128, SB64, various PCI and ISA soundcards...), are actually a dull experience. This nice discount soundcard, I'm talking about is the "Artis Jetway 738S1", which retails for less than $20.
Try search on google for a store that sells it : http://www.google.com/search?hl=da&ie=UTF-...F-8&q=738S1&lr=

And here's a review on the soundcard : http://www.backshelf.net/default.asp?dir=r...=reviews/738S1/

Reply #35
Ok, I just got the SoundBlaster Live Player 1024 (CT4760). I hope that it was a good choice . Should I install the newest 'KX' drivers? Will these drivers slow down my CPU? 'Cause I thought that a soundcard would rather increase the speed of my CPU since there is a separate chip only for processing the sound...

Yes, use 3528.

Reply #36
Isn't there a problem with the drivers (WDM) for the PCI128 for Win98/ME/2000 ?
I have/had an old CT4700 with an 5507-chip lying around someplace which I had some problems with (don't remember what it was). A search told me that I wasn't alone and Creative had given it up.
Have now an cheap CMI8738-board, analog isn't that god, but digital I/O is without resampling.

Reply #37

Yes, use 3528.

Ok, I just downloaded the package, but I only installed the "Kx Project Audio Drivers (3529)". For what do I need all that other stuff? I couldn't find any description...for instance do I need to install "Windows 98 SE Quick Fix for AC-3 Playback"? I'm using Windows 2000 SP3...What is the difference between these "Kx Drivers" and the original CL drives? I mean there must be a reason why the creator of the "kx drivers" is doing all this...

Reply #38

Yes, use 3528.

Ok, I just downloaded the package, but I only installed the "Kx Project Audio Drivers (3529)". For what do I need all that other stuff? I couldn't find any description...for instance do I need to install "Windows 98 SE Quick Fix for AC-3 Playback"? I'm using Windows 2000 SP3...What is the difference between these "Kx Drivers" and the original CL drives? I mean there must be a reason why the creator of the "kx drivers" is doing all this...

3529 is pretty unstable (you can get wrong feeling about kX).
kX has free routing, summs, peaks, it is mainly for musicians (but very good for generals use too) and it is 2MB whole package.
98 AC3 quick fix you don't need if you use 2k.

Reply #39
if i've got it right the good pci128's are the ones based on the original ensoniq chip (es13xx range i believe).

i've got one here, es1371 i think
Dan

Reply #40
What about the Terratec 128i PCI? Has anyone owned/heard this sound card?
Is it able to drive 250 Ohm headphones without an extra amplifier?
All I need is good quality pure stereo sound for very little money...
Is the 128i a good choice?

Thanks for any info

It's much worse than AC'97 onboard sound. Much more aliasing audible on test signals, high background noise (weird: everytime you stop a song playing the background noise sounds different). Directly plugged to the card my HD 530 are hardly much louder than my computer fan.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #41
Yeah, agreed. I have had a 128i for nearly 3 years now, and it's really pesty. I loved it when I knew nothing about audio because of its fancy 3D effect , but as soon as I plugged in headphones or ran a frequency sweep I started to hate it. (It garbles everything >16kHz...)

(Actually, does it resample to 48kHz or not? I have no clue )

Reply #42
Probably it does. If you creat identical test signals like frequency sweeps the 48kHz samples sound better than the 44.1kHz. (I'd rather say 44.1kHz sounds even worse.  )
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #43
Just to let you guys know: Creative Sound Blaster Live Player 1024 is awesome! It even comes with a digital output! (CT4760)...and I got it for only $15

Reply #44
if i've got it right the good pci128's are the ones based on the original ensoniq chip (es13xx range i believe).

i've got one here, es1371 i think

My PCI-128 is an ES1371... the default 3-D effect comes from the latest drivers, which are shite (3-D effect can be turned off, but comes back on everytime Windows reboots!).  If you can find an older driver version (for Win9x anyway) try it...

Reply #45
When will America get the new Terratec line of cards?! I want a Terratec Aureon Space 7.1.

http://www.jdsound.com/    i ordered my Space 7.1 the other day. this is the only place i have found the new terratec cards, and believe me i searched everywhere!!!.

GL

Reply #46
Is SB128 PCI so really good than everyone keeps on telling here? If so, I'm going to have to thank my dad big time

What about SB64? Is it any good? I have it on my second comp (actually it's my sister's) and would just want to know.

Reply #47
Would also go for a Terratec.

Have only had bad experiences with the SoundBlaster Prodducts.

Replaced my old SB Live! with a Six Pack and was never happier with the Sound I have on my computer.

Creative really sucks big time in my opinion, but maybe thats just me and I just had bad luck.  Am sure there are people out there who can get along perfectly well with their SoundBlasters.