Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Backup and move foobar2000 to another computer (Read 27512 times) previous topic - next topic

Backup and move foobar2000 to another computer

What is the simpliest way? Without loosing all preference changes, playlists and components.

Thanks!

Reply #1
Make a backup of the profile folder.

Reinstall on the new machine.

Copy profile folder to new location.

You should be done. That is what I did when I reformatted & reinstalled.

Reply #2
Make a backup of the profile folder.

Reinstall on the new machine.

Copy profile folder to new location.

You should be done. That is what I did when I reformatted & reinstalled.

Where is it located?

Should i use the shift button when clicking File in the archive menu then choose Save Configuration?

Reply #4
Shift-click the file menu, and select Browse Configuration folder.

You are now in a foobar2000 folder.

That's the one you need to backup.

Reply #5
quoting myself from other thread, posted just 4 days ago:
You have to save contents of folder "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000" on Windows Vista\Windows 7 (note that "AppData" is hidden folder so you have to enter it's name in addres bar to enter it or show hidden files in Windows Explorer to click on it). Then you can overwrite with this folder any other configuration wherever you want to use your own settings. On Windows XP you have to save "C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\foobar2000" (note that Local Settings is hidden - as above). Depending on the way that you have installed external components (manual installation by copying components files) you may need to additionally copy contents of "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components" if you are using x64 system. If you installed them using foobar2000 interface in Preferences Dialog, then you only need to copy AppData / Local Settings folders.

and quoting Andreasvb:
To easily go to AppData, just type %appdata% in Run.  (press Win logo and "R")

Reply #6
Should i use the shift button when clicking File in the archive menu then choose Save Configuration?

Well THAT was an eye opening experience. Should I start trying <shift>-click in all my Windows apps,
or this something specific to foobar?  I can't believe I never knew about this, I've been using foobar
at least since 2004!

Reply #7
Should I start trying <shift>-click in all my Windows apps,
or this something specific to foobar?

It's foobar-specific. A lot of these commands are never needed via the mouse and best accessed with a shortcut key, like seeking.

Reply #8
I can't believe I never knew about this, I've been using foobar at least since 2004!

It has been introduced in foobar2000 v1.0:

Holding down shift while opening a menu - with both context and main menu - will bring up menu commands that are normally hidden, so you no longer need to go through the preferences page to access obscure commands that are hidden by default.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #9
I did the backup/install/copy over as described in this thread, but I only got some settings transferred correctly. Specifically, the GUI configuration was not preserved (no album art, all display in columns rather than combined columns/rows, etc.), but all other settings (replaygain settings, folders to monitor, etc.) were transferred correctly. Anything obvious I might be doing wrong?

Edit: it was a couple stray components I needed for the configuration folder inside the Program Files/... repository. (I assumed all installed extensions would appear in the %appdata% directory since abx and dr_meter appeared to...)

Reply #10
I've tried everything but I cannot get it to work. I'm going from a 1.1.13 version to 1.2.9 also one pc is 32bit and the other 64bit

Reply #11
Can someone help with this. The playlists load with no artwork and will not play. However if I load a playlist manually,ie: New Playlist; Add Folder; Rename etc it will work. I have 240 playlists. The pc needs to go back for a new DVDRom drive but if I can't work out how to backup and reinstall my playlists I might just forget about sending it back for the DVDRom incase they format the C drive.  I don't need a DVDRom drive for foobar.

Reply #12
Paths in Playlists are hardcoded, so if the paths are different on your 2nd PC, then they won't work. You can probably fix this with
foobar_playlist_revive.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Re: Backup and move foobar2000 to another computer

Reply #13
Old thread revival!

I'm having real problems with this, copying of the Foobar appdata folder just gives a pile of rubbish. Nothing like what I'm seeing on the original computer.
The last time I did this there was an Export/Import feature in the shift menu that took all settings to new comp. no probs.
I don't care about playlists, I just want my display layout and all plug-ins/components to carry over intact.

A step by step idiots guide would be very much appreciated if possible?

Reply #14
Panic over, worked it out.

For any future reader...

1) Updated old comp's. Foobar to latest vs
2) Installed same on new comp.
3) Copy contents of Components folder (not the folder, in my case it corrupted every time) and paste into new folder, except for the "extract" files (these also caused problems if replaced)
4) Copy the appdata folder as described in previous posts.

y voila!

Reply #15
Glad to hear you got it sorted :)

I periodically do an Export Theme from Display -> Default User Interface, and take a copy of my window title, status bar and notification tooltip formatting strings.

Have you tried the foo_jesus component, which does autosave and autobackup of config & other data and preserves backup copies?

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_jesus
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,68528.0.html

I now do all my fb2k installs as Portable installs, so I can just make a copy of the entire folder. Makes no difference to their operations and makes them incredibly convenient.
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #16
Have you tried the foo_jesus component, which does autosave and autobackup of config & other data and preserves backup copies?
Great component, but if you do use foo_jesus be sure to go to Preferences > Advanced > Tools > Autosave & Backup > Files and directories to back up and update the playlist folder name to "playlists-v1.4" or "playlists*" and any other files/folders you want to backup that may not be listed.

Reply #17
I'm trying to transfer my settings, but I have Foobar installed as a Win10 app (from MS Store) and I can't find the settings folder - there's nothing in %AppData%. Would appreciate some help as I don't want to reinstall it as a usual program.
0_o

Reply #18
I now do all my fb2k installs as Portable installs, so I can just make a copy of the entire folder. Makes no difference to their operations and makes them incredibly convenient.

I agree 100%, makes backups a breeze.  I never have to worry about trying out some new view/GUI setup and getting hopelessly messed up--just sigh and replace the "good try" with the one-folder backup I made just before.  And have at it again  :))

Reply #20
Probably not by default as portable is not supposed to touch system settings. But you could probably point the associations to the executable manually.

Reply #21
Probably not by default as portable is not supposed to touch system settings. But you could probably point the associations to the executable manually.

Yes, you can use the Windows "Open With" dialog from right-click context menu, browse to foobar2000.exe, and check "always use selected app. with files of this type".  Then it stays associated until you change it to something else.  At least, this is how it works with Windows 7 SP1.

Reply #22
Do file associations still work if you install as "Portable"?
As a seaman, I travel a lot, and always carry one of my music files backups.
I use a 2Tb portable disk where I installed  both my music AND FB portable.
So I can use it on any host PC, without disturbing its own file associations.
Indexing the relative path has been done once, and now it works like a charm, and very fast.
I've been using Foo_jesus to copy my setup.

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)
"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

Reply #23
I take a flash drive to work to use on the PC there and was appalled to see the installation wiped clean when I upgraded; of course, once I'd read this thread, I found out how simple it is to recover everything - but a warning might be nice.  Or just not scorching everything in the config with portable installs.

It was interesting to find out about shift clicking menus, I've been using FB2K for about 14 years now since giving up on Winamp and had no idea this was a feature.

My flash drive is only 64 Gb so room is at a premium, and I notice that my playlist files were by far the largest, at about 1.5 Gb all on their own, so I just didn't bother - they probably just refer to file paths on the PC anyway, thus useless on another machine.

Reply #24
Panic over, worked it out.

For any future reader...

1) Updated old comp's. Foobar to latest vs
2) Installed same on new comp.
3) Copy contents of Components folder (not the folder, in my case it corrupted every time) and paste into new folder, except for the "extract" files (these also caused problems if replaced)
4) Copy the appdata folder as described in previous posts.

y voila!
[I am closer to purchasing new PC. I will be going from a 32-bit to 64-bit PC and don't know if this complicates things]
Steps 3+4 above confuse me. The Foobar2000 folder under %appdata%\Roaming has a "components-updates" folder, but not a "component" folder. What is this? It seems as if you are going to just copy over this when you do the entire folder copy?