Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software Psychoacoustic processing? (Read 15719 times) previous topic - next topic

Software Psychoacoustic processing?

Reply #25
I'm wondering if there is a practical way to involve the effect into "mass encoding" to any file format of choice like ogg, or mp3, once you have found the settings that gives you the best result for you equipment and personal taste.
That way one could use that special version of the music collection for use on portables like ipod, iriver or whatever.

Sure. Rip to .wav + .cue, load the .cue to foobar2000 and use it for grabbing data from freedB, enable DSPs you need (and make sure that you check "Use DSPs" in diskwriter settings) and encode to your format of choice.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #26
I'm wondering if there is a practical way to involve the effect into "mass encoding" to any file format of choice like ogg, or mp3, once you have found the settings that gives you the best result for you equipment and personal taste.
That way one could use that special version of the music collection for use on portables like ipod, iriver or whatever.

There's no need to do so for the iRiver devices. Well, at least if you like this "SRS" / "TruBass" processing it can do. It's been designed for listening with headphones.

I've an H120 and turned TruBass+SRS on with my personal parameter settings.
But it does not sound so well in case of Intensity Stereo coded MP3s/oggs if you drive the first SRS parameter too high.
Anyway this kind of processing should be done online if possible. not before encoding IMHO.

bye
SebastianG

Reply #27
Thanks Tigre, thanks Sebastian.

There's no need to do so for the iRiver devices. Well, at least if you like this "SRS" / "TruBass" processing it can do.

Currently I still have a CD based mp3 portable, without TruBass+SRS options or something similar (although I'm thinking of purchasing a h140). So encoding the effect could be solution for my current equipment.

Anyway this kind of processing should be done online if possible. not before encoding IMHO.

OK, I agree that processing your "untouched / original" music files stay more flexible for the exchange of equipment and for other listeners, but I am usually the only one who uses my portable with my in-ear buds. Also encoding another mp3 version for the portable from my flac files is not the point (lame became quite fast recently  ).
As far as I understand, working with the correct HRTF data would be something taylormade...
Did you try and compare both versions? Does irivers solution outperforms a "hard encoded" in front effect ? - What sounds better to you?

To be honest, I'm currently not sure if I really want to get the "sound out of my head"  , but I like to play with that option, listen and decide then (Tigre made me curious with a post on "AudioHQ" and I followed several posts until I came to that thread here - thanks tigre).
One more question: does the quality of the effect depend on the input material, i.E. classical, jazz, hard rock, ... or the stereo quality of the source?
What I mean is, can the effect become different or unpleasant with different source files, or is it always a simulation of the same listening place in front of a fixed pair of speakers in the same room.