Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 player software that allows entering/filtering/playlists by my own (Read 3275 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 player software that allows entering/filtering/playlists by my own

I'm looking for an mp3 player that will allow me to add multiple descriptive tags to my mp3s so that I can then filter/make playlists based on which ever particular style takes me fancy.

I don't know if there are spaces in mp3 files for this kind of thing, or if there are any players that can make this kind of use of the tags. Or perhaps there's an alternative that I haven't considered? I'm on Vista. Cheers.

*edit* It cut the end of the title off, and I can't seem to edit it now. Gah!

Reply #1
I'm not sure...  I don't quite understand what you mean by "multiple descriptive tags".  I have a feeling that even if you can customize your tags, you won't find a player that knows what to do.

ID3.org has the ID3 standards, so you can check what's valid.  And, MP3tag[/u] allows you to edit your tags in just about any way that's "legal".  I believe FLAC & Vorbis tags offer more freedom than ID3.  But again, if you do something non-standard,  the player is going to be the issue.

I don't know if this is similar to what you're trying to do, but I have a few songs (a few hundred, actually) that qualify as both rock and halloween music (i.e. Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult or Devil Woman by Cliff Richard).  I simply have duplicates in a haloween folder with the genre tagged as "haloween" instead of "rock".  But like I said, this is only for a few songs.

Reply #2
I want to be able to go through my collection and put in descriptors so that one track would be 'deep', 'dark' and 'tribal', for example, while the next would be 'deep' and 'heavy'... the next 'heavy' and 'tribal'... etc etc. So that when I want to specifcally listen to any 'deep' tracks, I can.

I have MP3tag so I could conceivably put them in any field really, it's playing them that's the problem.

That said, I use a program called Mixmeister Fusion and you can assign labels exactly as I want (which it stores outside of the music files itself), but it doesn't function as a standard player very well at all.

Reply #3
I know someone is bound to roll their eyes around here but iTunes can do this.  Put your description in the comments and you can set iTunes up to create multiple smart playlists where it will automatically group together all of the songs you want based on the comments you add.  So you can have one smart playlist that is made up of just your tribal music, you can have another that brings in all of the songs that have dark in the comment, and you can have another playlist that is made up of songs that have both tribal and dark in the comments.  Those are just some examples but iTunes would be able to do this.  Of course, you would have to go through and edit the track tags for all of your songs but you can also mass edit tracks in iTunes (though you can't mass amend the comments).  I think iTunes even works with the comments field in MP3tag.

Reply #4
Foobar will do this as well.

Reply #5
Mediamonkey allows the use of custom tags. And then you can set up smart playlist(s) that includes or discludes (is that a word?) them.

Reply #6
Thanks guys, it's appreciated. I've heard Foobar mentioned in high regard before, so I think I'll try that one first. Cheers!

Reply #7
I'm looking for something that'll do this, but on an Android / Windows phone. Anyone know of anything?