Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio CD ROT, Red Book CD-DA data recovery, Disc Rot (Read 15432 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio CD ROT, Red Book CD-DA data recovery, Disc Rot

Project: recover precious audio CDR from set of four that are rotting (using manual methods to maximize quality of recovered data)

In about 1996, my mother recorded herself singing 1940s folk songs with her brothers and sister. In about 2000, my cousin with a "recording studio" made a set of CDRs.

The CD copies worked when they were new. Now they are all badly rotted -- they look fine, but will not play. The CDs are greenish with full inkjet-printed labels. The ring is printed "119-H.002062194B09." (Does this tell who made the disc and when? It seems to be a serial number -- each disc has a different number, but the first part is always the same.)

This is my first experience with this type of bit rot. (If only I had known about the problem when it started!) Since this is precious material, I will spend endless hours trying to recover it as exactly as possible. I have not found any good tools or instructions for how to do this, so I will try to describe my plans and experiences here, in case they are helpful.

These CDs are almost impossible to read in an ordinary way. Occasionally it is possible to see the TOC. But EAC seems useless because even the lowest error-check setting seems to be too picky, and makes no progress reading the data.

I tried a pile of various CD/DVD drives in the hope that one would be magic, but no luck. The only drive that ever sees the TOC is a Rosewill ROD-EX001 which contains a Teac DV-W28S-R 1.0B. The drive only sees the TOC when it is cold, under 60-degF. Perhaps 40-50degF is best? Why does cold help?

It seems like the ideal way to recover data from severe disc rot would be to make micro-photo images and process the images. I don't have that technology, and have found no discussion of such serious forensics.

I found no tools for reading raw CD data, when the disc does will not "mount" (there seems to be some sort of auto-scan when the disc is inserted in the drive, and everything seems to hang until the drive is happy). Since EAC seemed unwilling to give me bad data, I discovered that fre:ac is more willing to give raw data. I could not use any included cdparanoia features, but was able to use jitter correction.

Out of the four discs, I was able to read one five times and one two times, so I have seven sets of 34 tracks. In general, they sound noisy, but the original sound is very audible. The rot seems worst at the beginning, and somewhat at the end.

The only relevant processing tool I have found so far is Audacity. There are various ways I could auto-process this data, but I want maximum control and understanding of the process. I am faced with an overwhelming quantity of data. To reconcile all these bits manually could take years!

I am starting with a short track in good shape. Audacity is usable (though inconvenient) for comparing tracks to see the differences. Because I am dealing with digital errors, I was expecting big, radical noise, that would be easy to spot. Wrong. The errors are quite subtle -- the hidden error correction is doing a very good job of guessing. This would be great if I were willing to just average the waveforms together or pick the best. But since I'd like to try to delete the errors, and use the "good parts" as much as possible, the fact that the errors are so minor will make finding them much harder!

It looks like the sound is not truly stereo - one track seems about one sample delayed and slightly different in amplitude compared to the other. I hope that the error correction did not know about this, and processed each channel independently. (Is this true?) My next step is to cross-correlate the channels to find the exact time-shift relationship, and figure out the amplitude relationship. Then when I am processing the data, and get to a point in dispute, I can use the level of discrepancy between the channels within a dataset to flag which data points are likely to be more unreliable. Well, that's my hope... I expect I'll have to write programs in BASIC to explore these approaches. Any better ideas? Do any programs exist for reconciling multiple sets of nearly-identical audio sound files? (Currently working on a not-powerful WindowsXP computer.)

Reply #1
Cross-correlating the left and right channels of track 23 shows that the first (left) channel lags behind by almost two samples (actually somewhere around 1.7 samples, but I'd rather avoid interpolating samples for now).

The next step is to try to do a x-y scatter plot of the left-right channels, offset by this optimal 2-sample correlation peak, to get a feeling for how closely the channels match and whether it seems worth using the ratio of sample values as a measure of data validity.

This ugly little BASIC program was used to do the cross-correlation. It shows that for a simple LPCM .wav file it is easy to just skip over the header bytes and access the data area.

Code: [Select]
' CDrot.bas (SmallBASIC FLTK 0.10.6 Windows XP)
' CD disc rot processing
' kd 24 jan 2012

DIM LL(9),RR(9),LR(9)
? "THIS IS A TEST of CDrot.bas"
?
F=FREEFILE
OPEN "N1.wav" FOR INPUT AS #F
I=0
J=0
SM=0
ISM=0
ILR=0

WHILE NOT EOF(F)
  I=I+1
  L1=BGETC(F)
  L2=BGETC(F)
  R1=BGETC(F)
  R2=BGETC(F)
L=L2*256+L1
IF L>(2^15) THEN L=L-(2^16)
R=R2*256+R1
IF R>(2^15) THEN R=R-(2^16)

IF I<13 THEN 199

INSERT LL,0,L
  DELETE LL,10  
  INSERT RR,0,R
  DELETE RR,10  

FOR T = 1 TO 9
  LR(T) = LR(T) + LL(5)*RR(T)
  NEXT T
  ILR=ILR+1

IF (L=0) AND (R=0) THEN 199

SM = SM + L*R
ISM = ISM+1
'  PRINT I;": ",L,R,"  ";ISM;" - ";L*R;" - ";INT(SM/ISM);" - ";SM,,ILR;LR

J=J+1
IF J>20 THEN
  PRINT ILR;LR
 '  INPUT "WAITING"; I$
  J=0
ENDIF

199 WEND
? "END TEST of CDrot.bas"
STOP

Reply #2
Well, I am sorry, you're out of luck there - but now you know why people make backups.
You could try professional data recovery services, maybe they can do something about it. In the mean time, try making image files of disks even with bad sectors, because rot won't go away.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #3
To ask the bleeding obvious, what format were these recordings in from 1996 to 2000? Does that still exist?

Sunlight, or any light, seems to be quite effective at erasing some CD-Rs, while others remain fine.

I wonder if it's possible to adjust normal CD readers to make them more sensitive etc to better work with damaged discs? I have no idea what form the damage takes.

Another obvious question: have you tried google? You can't be alone (in fact I have similar discs myself!) - so if it is possible to recover them, someone will be charging for the service somewhere.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
You could try professional data recovery services, maybe they can do something about it. In the mean time, try making image files of disks even with bad sectors, because rot won't go away.

This would be a perfect opportunity to test professional data recovery services, since I have four copies to send to four services -- but I am not rich, and that would be very expensive, and risky... I have found no detailed technical description of what such services really do in a case like this.

Red Book audio CD format seems to be quite different from CD-ROM data formats. I don't know about any free programs that make image files of audio CDs, particularly with bad sectors -- do you?

Reply #5
To ask the bleeding obvious, what format were these recordings in from 1996 to 2000? Does that still exist?

Sunlight, or any light, seems to be quite effective at erasing some CD-Rs, while others remain fine.

I wonder if it's possible to adjust normal CD readers to make them more sensitive etc to better work with damaged discs? I have no idea what form the damage takes.

Another obvious question: have you tried google? You can't be alone (in fact I have similar discs myself!) - so if it is possible to recover them, someone will be charging for the service somewhere.

Cheers,
David.

I have some pre-2000 cassettes that may contain the material. But rescuing old analog tape sound and re-mastering the tracks etc would be so complicated that I am trying this digital approach first.

I don't think these copies were stored exposed to sunlight.

I agree, it seems like it must be possible to adjust CD drives to be more sensitive, but I have not stumbled on any description of such hacking experiments.

I spent many hours googling every aspect of this before deciding I would have to invent my own process. The lowest price I found was about $100. Most seem to cost a lot more -- they don't like to give prices -- I guess if you care about the price you can't afford it? And you would of course have to take the risk of sending them your original copies...

Reply #6
HOW TO USE AUDACITY TO COMPARE TWO CHANNEL TRACKS

Unfortunately, Audacity seems to have no function to automatically optimally align two waveforms (time-shift, amplitude, DC offset) for comparison purposes. And no way to visually superimpose two waveforms to see discrepancies.

Here is a manual proceedure for Audacity:
* Split stereo to mono
* Normalize each track. (If the amplitude match does not seem perfect, you could manually reduce the amplitude of one channel to improve the match.)
* Time-shift one channel as needed. To do this, zoom in on high-amplitude sections. Look for crisp-clear zero crossings that you can time-align. Keep zooming in until you clearly see individual samples that you can align exactly.
* After time-aligning, Invert one channel, then select both channels and apply "Mix and Render".
* Study and ponder this difference waveform. Can you think of any adjustments that would have yielded a smaller result? You can re-do the process with different amounts of time shifting, to see what is the best match, with the minimum difference.

So, I did not really need to write a BASIC program to do the cross-correlation -- this tedious manual process with Audacity would have been quicker.

And now that I see the resulting difference between the left and right channels, it looks like there is more stereo content than I had hoped. It does not look like I'll be able to identify bad data points very well by comparing the left and right channels. I'd still be curious to see an X-Y scatter plot of the channel values to study the degree of correlation, but that approach doesn't seem worth pursuing for now.

My plan is to proceed to write a BASIC program to find sets of data points that are different among the 7 copies, and see what ideas emerge from pondering them.

Reply #7
I'd still be curious to see an X-Y scatter plot of the channel values to study the degree of correlation, but that approach doesn't seem worth pursuing for now.

My plan is to proceed to write a BASIC program to find sets of data points that are different among the 7 copies, and see what ideas emerge from pondering them.
  With an audio editor, you can easily subtract one file from another, or subtract left from right. 

Most audio editors have a "vocal removal" effect which subtracts left & right to remove the "center channel" (everything that's the same, and in-phase, in the left & right channels).  With Audacity, I believe vocal removal is one of the optional Nyquist plug-ins.   

Or, audio mixing is done with addition.  So, if you invert one channel (or one file) and mix them, you will get the difference.  (Most audio editors have the ability to invert phase/polarity.)

Reply #9
I have some pre-2000 cassettes that may contain the material. But rescuing old analog tape sound and re-mastering the tracks etc would be so complicated that I am trying this digital approach first.
I think you'll find that copying a tape to CD is far easier than what you're trying to do!

In terms of "increasing the sensitivity" - CD-Rs use burning of a chemical within the disc to darken a small area to prevent reflection. When CD-Rs degrade, the burned and unburned areas become effectively identical. There's nothing left to read. What once was data is now black again.

In pressed CDs, it's the reflective layer that rots. The pit dimensions of pressed CDs are still there - there's just no easy way of seeing them. But in CD-Rs, the only thing that contained the data can vanish completely.

I guess you can find CD-Rs in an intermediate state - with the burned data too faded to be read normally, but still detectable by some means.

However, given that you have the original cassettes, it'll be far far easier to go back to those, rather than to retrieve something from CD-R that either a) isn't there at all any more, or b) needs NASA level technology to recover. Whereas all you need is a cassette deck and a sound card!!!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #10
I totally agree with 2Bdecided.  Play the old cassettes and see how they sound.  They may not have deteriorated at all.  It is conceivable that you could do a better transfer to digital now than was done in 2000.  You have nothing to lose testing the old tapes, and much to gain.

Reply #11
I have had luck in the past with ISOBuster.
...  http://www.isobuster.com/unreadable-cd-dvd-recovery.php
I believe it does audio CDs, but won't swear to it.

ISOBuster does claim to do audio CDs, but is not free... I have not found detailed descriptions of what exactly it does with defective audio CDs. It would be interesting to read feedback from people who have tried to use it in cases where the TOC can not be read!

Reply #12
I totally agree with 2Bdecided.  Play the old cassettes and see how they sound.  They may not have deteriorated at all.  It is conceivable that you could do a better transfer to digital now than was done in 2000.  You have nothing to lose testing the old tapes, and much to gain.

Unfortunately, most modern laptops lack line-input ports (only have headphone out and mic in). I have bought an Xitel INport USB adapter, and do expect to try re-digitizing at some point. But as an amateur perfectionist, I'd much rather work on trying to recover an exact copy of the audio CD digital data then have to struggle with the details of trying to make an impossible "perfect" new digital copy of the aged analog recording.

Reply #13
BASIC PROGRAM TO MEASURE CORRELATION OF LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNELS IN .WAV FILE

Although I am putting aside the idea of using localized L-R correlation as a measure of validity of data points in my audio CD data recovery research, it still seems potentially interesting to measure the total L-R correlation in each raw copy of the data, as a clue to which copy might be more valid overall.

I don't know of any way to do this measurement in Audacity. It is possible to manually time-align the channels, and then subtract them to produce a difference waveform, which can be judged by eye -- but I don't know any Audacity function to quantify the total or average amplitude/energy/power of the resulting waveform.

Here is a BASIC program that produces such summary numbers, and stores them in a results file, based on the simpler version I wrote a couple days ago. The main thing I've learned is that this measure is almost identical for my data sets -- the peak correlation totals vary by only about one part in 15,000. It looks like turning on jitter correction in fre:ac helped, and that reading at 16x was optimum -- but the differences are so small that they probably don't mean much. The BASIC program takes a few minutes to process each 50 second .wav file. So even though there are many ways it could be much more efficient and run much faster, there is no need to bother yet.

' CD disc rot processing
' kd 26 jan 2012
' CROSS-CORRELATE LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNELS

DIM LL(9),RR(9),LR(9)
? "START of CDrot-CROSS-26JAN12.bas"
?
F=FREEFILE
FILNAM$="E1.wav"
OPEN FILNAM$ FOR INPUT AS #F
I=0
J=0
SM=0
ISM=0
ILR=0

WHILE NOT EOF(F)
  I=I+1
  L1=BGETC(F)
  L2=BGETC(F)
  R1=BGETC(F)
  R2=BGETC(F)
L=L2*256+L1
IF L>(2^15) THEN L=L-(2^16)
R=R2*256+R1
IF R>(2^15) THEN R=R-(2^16)

IF I<13 THEN 199

INSERT LL,0,L
  DELETE LL,10  
  INSERT RR,0,R
  DELETE RR,10  

FOR T = 1 TO 9
  LR(T) = LR(T) + LL(5)*RR(T)
  NEXT T
  ILR=ILR+1

IF (L=0) AND (R=0) THEN 199

SM = SM + L*R
ISM = ISM+1
 ' PRINT I;": ",L,R,"  ";ISM;" - ";L*R;" - ";INT(SM/ISM);" - ";SM,,ILR;LR

J=J+1
IF J>999 THEN
  PRINT ILR;LR
 '  INPUT "WAITING"; I$
  J=0
ENDIF

199 WEND
CLOSE #F
? "EOF"
PRINT "FILE: ";FILNAM$;"  ";DATE$;"  ";TIME$
PRINT ILR;LR

OUT=FREEFILE
NEWLINE$=CHR(13)+CHR(10)
OPEN "CROSS-OUT.TXT" FOR APPEND AS #OUT
PRINT #OUT, "FILE: ";FILNAM$;"  ";DATE$;"  ";TIME$;"  CDrot-CROSS-26JAN12.bas";NEWLINE$
PRINT #OUT, ILR;LR;NEWLINE$

FOR T = 1 TO 9
  LR(T) = INT(SQR(LR(T)/ILR))
  NEXT T
PRINT "SQRT of AVG: ";LR
PRINT #OUT, "SQRT of AVG: ";LR;NEWLINE$;NEWLINE$
CLOSE #OUT

? "END of CDrot-CROSS-26JAN12.bas"
STOP

Reply #14
Unfortunately, most modern laptops lack line-input ports (only have headphone out and mic in). I have bought an Xitel INport USB adapter, and do expect to try re-digitizing at some point. But as an amateur perfectionist, I'd much rather work on trying to recover an exact copy of the audio CD digital data then have to struggle with the details of trying to make an impossible "perfect" new digital copy of the aged analog recording.

The CDRs have deteriorated and may have unrecoverable errors.  The tapes may not have deteriorated at all.  You have the hardware to digitize, apparently.  I think it's worth spending a few minutes testing the tapes.

Reply #15
isobuster can be downloaded and installed and used free for some recovery. For other conditions it will test and tell you if it sees anything to recover -- once you pay for the program.

If you decide to try the cassettes, first check that the pressure pads are present and intact. Then rewind the cassettes to get the tension more even so the playback speed will be more stable.

Reply #16
Have you tried out ExactAudioCopy yet ? http://exactaudiocopy.de/  This is also free / shareware.

This software keeps re-reading the bad sectors until eventually it gets a correct checksum and then moves on.

Quote:
In secure mode this program either reads every audio sector at least twice or rely on extended error information that some drives are able to return with the audio data. That is one reason why the program is slower than other rippers. But by using this technique non-identical sectors are detected. If an error occurs (read or sync error), the program keeps on reading this sector, until eight of 16 retries are identical, but at maximum one, three or five times (according to the selected error recovery quality) these 16 retries are read. So, in the worst case, bad sectors are read up to 82 times! But this effort will help the program to obtain the best result by comparing all of the retries.

Also, you may want to try an older (slower CD drive) which may also help to recover the data.

just my 2 cent worth

Reply #17
Have you tried out ExactAudioCopy yet ? http://exactaudiocopy.de/  This is also free / shareware.
Also, you may want to try an older (slower CD drive) which may also help to recover the data.

Yes, EAC is what I usually use, and the first thing I tried -- but I could not find any way to turn the error-checking down enough to get it to make any process with these rotted CDs. And yes, I also was hoping that older slower CD drives might help, but nothing in my pile of old drives worked at all...

Reply #18
BASIC PROGRAM UTILITY TOOL
TO INSPECT BLOCKS OF DIFFERENCES
IN MULTIPLE SETS OF ALMOST IDENTICAL .WAV FILES

The following BASIC program analyzes a set of nearly identical .wav files, finds block-chunks areas of difference and displays a grid of numbers for interactive inspection. It analyzes each such block and collects summary statistics into a results file.

I am experimenting with a set of 7 copies of a track from a set of audio CDs that have become unplayable (rotted). I was only able to get data from 2 discs: 5 copies from one disc and 2 copies from another.

Just eyeballing the grid of numbers, with the differing values highlighted, the first impression is that this data recovery project looks hopeful. In many cases the errors are isolated and should be easy to weed out. The blocks of errors are mostly not long runs. Usually there are not more than two values appearing for a given sample.

This 50 second stereo track is somewhat over 2,000,000 L-R 16-bit sample pairs. Running the program on all 7 copies produced this (highly edited) output:

E1.wav  E2.wav  E3.wav  E4.wav  E5.wav  N1.wav  N2.wav
2200888 BLOCK 8363: BLKLINESBAD 1938[1853,3677,2247,222,220,70,17,12,10]35 OVERS, MAX 1938
, VALSMAX 2[0,8216,144,2,1,0,0] // TOTMINMAX 3[3085,4054,1176,46,2,0,0]

Interpratation:
2200888 samples processed
8363 blocks (chunks) of errors
1853 blocks contained 1 line of differing samples
3677 blocks contained 2 lines of differing samples
2247 blocks contained 3 lines of differing samples...
35 blocks contained over 9 lines of differing samples
the longest block contained 1938 lines of differing samples

Each set of samples is analyzed to count how many different values appear, and count the total of "minority" values (how many values are different from the one that is most common). Each block has a max result for those two measures; these results are tallied for all the blocks.

8216 blocks contained a max of 2 different values for any one sample
144 blocks contained a max of 3 different values for any one sample
2 blocks contained a max of 4 different values for any one sample
1 blocks contained a max of 5 different values for any one sample
Usually there were only 2 different values, and there were no cases of 6 or 7 different values.

3085 blocks contained a max of 1 minority value for any one sample
4054 blocks contained a max of 2 minority value for any one sample
1176 blocks contained a max of 3 minority value for any one sample...
There were only 48 cases where the most common value was not in the majority, and no cases where all the values were different -- there were always at least two of the same value.

E4 and E5 were made by fre:ac without jitter correction. The other copies were made by fre:ac with jitter correction. It was not feasible to get any data with cdparanoia enabled in fre:ac. EAC was also unable to make any progress (it is very difficult to get any data at all from these rotted CD-Rs). Excluding E4 and E5 produces this output:

E1.wav  E2.wav  E3.wav  N1.wav  N2.wav 
2201472 BLOCK 7524: BLKLINESBAD 588[1716,3405,1914,194,187,49,13,10,9]27 OVERS, MAX 588
, VALSMAX 0[0,7412,110,2,0,0,0] // TOTMINMAX 0[2688,4801,35,0,0,0,0]
OVERS:,10,11,10,10,23,10,10,11,14,10,12,13,10,31,13,10,10,11,10,425,11,10,11,10,10,11,588

The number of bad blocks of data has decreased by 8%. The number of blocks that had over 9 bad lines has decreased from 35 to 27. Only 35 blocks contained a case of 3 "minority" votes (out of 5), so the count of "majority-minority" blocks has been reduced from 48 to 35. The new "OVERS" output shows that almost all the blocks contained no more than 14 bad lines; the exceptions were 23, 31, and one big run of 425. (The 588 seems to be exactly one CD sector of glitch in the junk at the end of the track.)

The program takes about an hour to run on these sets of 50 seconds tracks, on an underpowered WinXP computer. Not good, but tolerable considering this is a free BASIC interpreter, that is pretty easy to use to test ad hoc changes, to get this utility tool to do what you need...

I've spared you the details of the grids of numbers that are output, which are really the simplest and most useful feature of this tool. It only takes the program about a minute to start producing such output. Staring at the numbers will give you a good idea whether this approach is likely to be fruitful for your data recovery project.

It seems like just auto-picking the median value would be a very effective approach to reconciling these test copies. The next step is to find a way to evaluate that idea. Access to the numerical realm is fundamental, but also having access to the associated waveforms graphics would be much better.

' CD disc rot processing
' kd 27 jan 2012
' FIND DIFFERENCES IN .WAV FILE AND DUMP DATA BLOCK
' DUMP3 - BEFORE AND AFTER DATA BLOCK VERSION, WITH BLOCK STATISTICS AND OUTPUT FILE

PRINT DATE$;" ";TIME$;" START of CDrot-DUMP3-27JAN12.bas"
?
OUT=FREEFILE
NEWLINE$=CHR(13)+CHR(10)
NEWLINE$=CHR(13) ' TRY TO FIND A WAY IN WINDOWS FOR TEXT FILES TO WORK IN BOTH NOTEPAD AND WORDPAD
OPEN "DUMP3-OUT.TXT" FOR APPEND AS #OUT
PRINT #OUT,;NEWLINE$
PRINT #OUT, DATE$;" ";TIME$;" START of CDrot-DUMP3-27JAN12.bas";NEWLINE$

DIM PAST$(9) ' STORE PAST DATA LINES
SAMECNT=999 ' COUNT SUCCESSIVE LINES OF ALL-SAME DATA
BLOCK=0 ' COUNT DATA BLOCKS DUMPED OUT
BLKBAD=0 : MAXBLKBAD=0 ' COUNT BAD LINES IN A DATA BLOCK
VALSMAX=0 ' MAXIMUM NUMBER OF DIFFERENT VALUES IN ONE CHANNEL SET
TOTMINMAX=0 ' MAXIMUM NUMBER OF MINORITY VALUES IN ONE CHANNEL SET
DIM VMAX(1 TO 7),TMAX(1 TO 7) ' ARRAYS OF VALSMAX AND TOTMINMAX BLOCK RESULT TALLIES
BLKBADOVR=0 : BBOVR$="" : DIM BLKBADA(1 TO 9) ' TALLY BLKBAD RESULTS
N=0 ' COUNT THE INPUT/OUTPUT DATA SAMPLES

REM OPEN INPUT FILES
DIM INFILE$(9),F(9)
INFILE$(1)="E1.wav"
INFILE$(2)="E2.wav"
INFILE$(3)="E3.wav"
' INFILE$(4)="E4.wav"
' INFILE$(5)="E5.wav"
INFILE$(6)="N1.wav"
INFILE$(7)="N2.wav"
INFILES=0
' N=15000 : PRINT  "SKIPPING SAMPLES: ";N
FOR I = 1 TO 9
  IF INFILE$(I)<>""
    PRINT INFILE$(I);"  ";
    PRINT #OUT, INFILE$(I);"  ";
    F(I)=FREEFILE
    OPEN INFILE$(I) FOR INPUT AS #F(I)
    INFILES += 1
    REM SKIP OVER FILE HEADERS
    JJ=11 : IF LEFT(INFILE$(I),1)="N" THEN JJ=JJ+588 ' 588 SAMPLES ARE ONE SECTOR SHIFT
    JJ=JJ+N ' SPEED UP START
    FOR J = 1 TO 4*JJ
      DISCARD=BGETC(F(I))
      NEXT J   
    ENDIF
  NEXT I
PRINT : PRINT INFILES;" INPUT FILES" : PRINT
PRINT #OUT,;NEWLINE$ : PRINT #OUT, INFILES;" INPUT FILES";NEWLINE$

REM READ AND PROCESS ONE SET OF SAMPLES FROM EACH INPUT FILE

K215=2^15 : K216=2^16 : KBIG=K216+K215
DIM OUT$(9)
DIFF=0

L$="" : R$=""
LD=0 : RD=0
LOLD=KBIG ' INITIALIZE WITH INVALID SAMPLE VALUES
ROLD=KBIG
DIM LA(9),RA(9) ' ARRAYS OF LEFT AND RIGHT VALUES
FOR I = 0 TO 9
  LA(I)=KBIG : RA(I)=KBIG
  NEXT I
FOR I = 1 TO 9
  IF INFILE$(I)<>""
      L1=BGETC(F(I))
      L2=BGETC(F(I))
      R1=BGETC(F(I))
      R2=BGETC(F(I))
      LL=L2*256+L1
      RR=R2*256+R1
      IF LL>=K215 THEN LL=LL-K216
      IF RR>=K215 THEN RR=RR-K216
      LA(I)=LL : RA(I)=RR
      IF LL<>LOLD THEN LD=LD+1
      IF RR<>ROLD THEN RD=RD+1
      LLL$="  " : IF LL<>LOLD THEN LLL$=" *"
      RRR$="  " : IF RR<>ROLD THEN RRR$=" *"
      LOLD=LL : ROLD=RR
      L$=L$+LLL$+FORMAT("#####0",LL)
      R$=R$+RRR$+FORMAT("#####0",RR)
    ENDIF
  NEXT I

N=N+1 : ' IF N>15 THEN 900
LLL$=LEFT(" *********",LD)
RRR$=LEFT(" *********",RD)

'IF (LD>1 OR RD>1) THEN PRINT N,L$,R$

INSERT PAST$,0,(FORMAT("##,###,000",N)+L$+" /"+R$)
DELETE PAST$,10
SAME = NOT (LD>1 OR RD>1)

IF NOT SAME

SORT LA ' GROUP SAME VALUES IN ORDER
  V=LA(0) : LA(0)=1 : I=1 ' REPLACE THE VALUES WITH A COUNT OF SAME ONES
  WHILE I<=UBOUND(LA)
    IF LA(I)=V
      DELETE LA,I
      LA(I-1) = LA(I-1)+1
    ELSE
      V=LA(I) : LA(I)=1 : I += 1
    ENDIF
  WEND
  DELETE LA,UBOUND(LA) ' DELETE LAST VALUE WHICH IS COUNT OF INVALID KBIGS
  SORT LA ' SORT THE VALID COUNTS OF SAME VALUES
  VALS=UBOUND(LA)+1 : IF VALS>VALSMAX THEN VALSMAX=VALS
  TOTMIN=SUM(LA)-LA(UBOUND(LA)) : IF TOTMIN>TOTMINMAX THEN TOTMINMAX=TOTMIN

SORT RA ' GROUP SAME VALUES IN ORDER
  V=RA(0) : RA(0)=1 : I=1 ' REPLACE THE VALUES WITH A COUNT OF SAME ONES
  WHILE I<=UBOUND(RA)
    IF RA(I)=V
      DELETE RA,I
      RA(I-1) = RA(I-1)+1
    ELSE
      V=RA(I) : RA(I)=1 : I += 1
    ENDIF
  WEND
  DELETE RA,UBOUND(RA) ' DELETE LAST VALUE WHICH IS COUNT OF INVALID KBIGS
  SORT RA ' SORT THE VALID COUNTS OF SAME VALUES
  VALS=UBOUND(RA)+1 : IF VALS>VALSMAX THEN VALSMAX=VALS
  TOTMIN=SUM(RA)-RA(UBOUND(RA)) : IF TOTMIN>TOTMINMAX THEN TOTMINMAX=TOTMIN

ENDIF

SAMEMAX=3
IF SAMECNT=SAMEMAX ' POSSIBLE END OF DATA DUMP BLOCK
  IF SAME
    SAMECNT += 1 ' YES- END OF BLOCK
    IF BLKBAD>9
      BLKBADOVR += 1
      BBOVR$=BBOVR$+","+STR(BLKBAD)
    ELSE
      BLKBADA(BLKBAD) = BLKBADA(BLKBAD)+1 ' TALLY RESULTS
    ENDIF   
    IF BLKBAD>MAXBLKBAD THEN MAXBLKBAD=BLKBAD 
    VMAX(VALSMAX)=VMAX(VALSMAX)+1 : TMAX(TOTMINMAX)=TMAX(TOTMINMAX)+1 ' TALLY RESULTS
    PRINT "BLOCK ";BLOCK;": BLKLINESBAD ";BLKBAD;BLKBADA;BLKBADOVR;" OVERS, MAX ";MAXBLKBAD;
    PRINT ", VALSMAX ";VALSMAX;VMAX;" // TOTMINMAX ";TOTMINMAX;TMAX
    PRINT "OVERS:";BBOVR$ 

PRINT #OUT,N;" BLOCK ";BLOCK;": BLKLINESBAD ";BLKBAD;BLKBADA;BLKBADOVR;" OVERS, MAX ";MAXBLKBAD;;NEWLINE$
    PRINT #OUT, ", VALSMAX ";VALSMAX;VMAX;" // TOTMINMAX ";TOTMINMAX;TMAX;NEWLINE$
    PRINT #OUT, "OVERS:";BBOVR$;NEWLINE$ 

JUNK$="" : ' IF VALSMAX>2 THEN    INPUT "WAITING  ";JUNK$
    IF JUNK$="STOP" THEN 900
    VALSMAX=0 : TOTMINMAX=0 ' RESET FOR NEXT BLOCK   
  ELSE
    SAMECNT = 0
    PRINT PAST$(0) ' NOT END OF BLOCK - KEEP DUMPING
    BLKBAD += 1
  ENDIF
ELSEIF SAMECNT>SAMEMAX ' NOT CURRENTLY OUTPUTTING
  IF SAME
    SAMECNT += 1 ' SAME BLANKNESS CONTINUES
  ELSE
    SAMECNT = 0 ' START DUMPING A BLOCK OUT
    BLOCK += 1
    PRINT "BLOCK ";BLOCK
    PRINT PAST$(3)
    PRINT PAST$(2)
    PRINT PAST$(1) 
    PRINT PAST$(0)
    BLKBAD=1 ' START COUNTING BAD LINES IN THIS BLOCK
  ENDIF
ELSE 
  IF SAME
    SAMECNT += 1
  ELSE
    SAMECNT = 0
    BLKBAD += 1
  ENDIF 
  PRINT PAST$(0) ' CONTINUE OUTPUTTING
ENDIF

' IF LD>4 THEN 900
' IF NOT EOF(F(1)) THEN 100
FOR I = 1 TO 9
  IF INFILE$(I)<>""
    IF EOF(F(I)) THEN 800   
    ENDIF
  NEXT I
  GOTO 100 ' LOOP BACK UP TO ANOTHER SET OF SAMPLES IF NO EOF
PRINT "EOF"
    PRINT
    PRINT N;" BLOCK ";BLOCK;": BLKLINESBAD ";BLKBAD;BLKBADA;BLKBADOVR;" OVERS, MAX ";MAXBLKBAD
    PRINT ",                  VALSMAX ";VALSMAX;VMAX;" // TOTMINMAX ";TOTMINMAX;TMAX
    PRINT "OVERS:";BBOVR$     
    PRINT #OUT,N;" BLOCK ";BLOCK;": BLKLINESBAD ";BLKBAD;BLKBADA;BLKBADOVR;" OVERS, MAX ";MAXBLKBAD;;NEWLINE$
    PRINT #OUT, ", VALSMAX ";VALSMAX;VMAX;" // TOTMINMAX ";TOTMINMAX;TMAX;NEWLINE$
    PRINT #OUT, "OVERS:";BBOVR$;NEWLINE$   
FOR I = 1 TO 9
  IF INFILE$(I)<>""
CLOSE #F(I)
    ENDIF
  NEXT I
PRINT #OUT, DATE$;" ";TIME$;" END OF CD rot DUMP3 27JAN12";NEWLINE$
PRINT #OUT,;NEWLINE$ : PRINT #OUT,;NEWLINE$
CLOSE #OUT
PRINT DATE$;" ";TIME$;" END OF CD rot DUMP3 27JAN12"
STOP

Reply #19
You might want to try the abandonware PerfectRip. It isn't going to be any more able to read your discs than any other ripper, but it does have a unique feature of outputting not just the audio image (raw PCM samples, no WAV header), but also C2 data, which is a separate file containing 1 bit for each sample to indicate whether the sample is suspicious. You can then use the audio image file and the corresponding C2 data file with a companion program, InterPol, to replace, via interpolation, suspicious samples. I've experimented with this on lightly scratched discs, and it does work. (PerfectRip has other features such as being able to dump the subcode to a file, but I've yet to get that to work on any of my drives.)

Reply #20
This software keeps re-reading the bad sectors until eventually it gets a correct checksum and then moves on.

It re-reads sections of audio containing sectors which are determined to be in error either because they give inconsistent results when C2 pointers aren't being used or are flagged by a C2 pointer when they are being used.  From there the section is re-read based on what was quoted.  The pass/fail criteria after re-reading is based on a threshold of consistency and when the threshold is not met, the most consistent data is used.

Note well: consistent data does not necessarily mean correct data.

Reply #21
A topic that facinates me:
Is it possible to get really low-level access to a CD-reader mechanism? I mean dumping the bits right after ADC conversion (or possibly prior to, using some higher clocked ADC). And is it possible to control the tracking directly (I think that CD use some feedback-loop to track the ... track).

I remember Pioneer having some 7(?)-track CD reader pickup in order to read CD-roms fast without doing ridiculous spin speeds. Would it be possible to hack such a drive so that it would sample at regular, small intervals, then try to make sense of the data afterwards?

This problem may become more relevant in years to come. Luckily (or not...) those albums that have sabotaged CRC in order to do "copy protection" are so plentiful that one is bound to be found that works for posterity.

-h

Reply #22
There are tools that allow low level reading for data CDs, but unfortunately, I know of no such tools for audio CDs. The most interesting feature used by such tools is a possibility to read the disk on one drive, skipping the unreadable sectors and then reread only the missing sectors on a different drive (or drives). This way it is often possible to achieve a complete recovery. One tool (dvdisaster) also allows to store incompletely read sectors and combining several such partial reads into a complete sector, but support for this depends on the drive firmware.

Reply #23

Especially if on metal tape. You may be able to do a better job than the initial transfers you are trying to restore.

Reply #24
You might want to try the abandonware PerfectRip. It isn't going to be any more able to read your discs than any other ripper, but it does have a unique feature of outputting not just the audio image (raw PCM samples, no WAV header), but also C2 data, which is a separate file containing 1 bit for each sample to indicate whether the sample is suspicious. You can then use the audio image file and the corresponding C2 data file with a companion program, InterPol, to replace, via interpolation, suspicious samples...

Thanks for those interesting tips -- hope I get a chance to try out PerfectRip! At this point, my experiments are leading me in the opposite direction from InterPol -- it looks to me like the interpolated samples in my data sets are most likely to be fake, and the others more likely to be valid...