Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC (Read 89044 times) previous topic - next topic

Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC

Reply #125
The donation has ended!

A huge thank you to everyone who donated! When we thought about setting up a donation, we weren't sure that we would ever reach the original limit of 1150 Euros. We thought that if we would ever collect the necessary amount of money, it would take 2 or 3 weeks at the very least. But on the first three days you already proved us wrong, we received lots of donations and eventually reached the limit in no time. The level of support was unbelievable. On the last few days, we still reveived PayPal donations and also received a couple of bank donations, pushing the status bar to a stunning 150+% above to the original limit.

There were some very generous donations, but it's not the most important thing who donated what. No matter how much you put in, you showed your support and appreciation, and we thank you wholeheartedly for that. Over the last couple of days, i've been in steady contact with Frank Klemm, and i'm discussing every detail with him to make sure the new PC fits his every needs and he can just put it to good use from the beginning. We will now start ordering the hardware for a PC which won't require compromises anymore. Watch this thread for updates about the PC.

Again, thank you so much to everyone who donated and everyone who supported this idea. We are glad that we can help Frank like this now and prove that his work is really appreciated. It's a great day for MPC.

Reply #126
I was one of those who laughed at the idea.
I still cannot believe that what the developer needed was a brand new free PC to crank some new code.
This will be one of the things that will stand out in codec history in both a good and bad manner IMHO.
Dimitris

Reply #127
I was one of those who laughed at the idea.
I still cannot believe that what the developer needed was a brand new free PC to crank some new code.
This will be one of the things that will stand out in codec history in both a good and bad manner IMHO.

Well, Frank didn't request anything like that. ChristianHJW had the idea to start this donation as a way of "giving back" and showing him that we care. That he will also be able to be productive with a new PC that's freshly installed again, yes, you can call that a deliberate side-effect. 

Reply #128
Frank. Enjoy your brand new PC. We all did it because this is the least we can do for this great format (MPC) and we all love you. I remember, since I tried Mpc. I never went back to anything else. We would like to thank all your working hours, and more important, the time of your live devoted to MPC and us, that wont come back. We appreciate that, and all you do for the past, the present and the future of MPC!. Period! 

Reply #129
Now let's start a donation for the LAME, Vorbis, AAC and other developers, so they can get a new PC to develop on also (and some new inspiration maybe)
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #130
It uses the Cirrus Logic SoundFusion CS4624 DSP. I should hope this is adequate, quality wise, for your needs. It is the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 in case you were wondering.

I read in specs, that this soundcard has opt. dig in & out, which is very fine.
The sampling freq. is up to 48 kHz.
it has 20 bit at out, 18 bit at inputs.

I dunno, if this soundcard isn't too limited for developemnt purposes, though. Wouldn't be 96 kHz, 24 bit capable soundcard better for dev. purposes ?

And what's about the upsampling issues like Soundblasters ?
Does somebody know, if at least this Hercules soundcard is able to output 44.1 kHz at dig. out without upsampled 48 KHz ?

Internal sampling is much higher, 96khz, as with every AC97 compliant sound card I've seen as of recent.  It can output 44.1 khz, so no probs there.  As for the sampling issues with SB Lives, that is an inherent flaw in the DSP, to the best of my knowledge.  The optical outputs are AC-3 passthroughs, and I know it doesn't have hardware accelerated outputs for them, they are pretty much at the mercy of software driving them.

Reply #131
i believe it is spase who owns musepack.org

...now a dead site

rip

Spase = pumpkinz99 = Erik Ramseth
email: pumpkinz99 <at> aol.com, space <at> outerspase.net
TZ: -0500+DST
owned: http://musepack.org/, http://mpegplus.outerspase.net/, http://www.musepack-source.de/

Indeed.

It seems I no longer own musepack.org.... http://www.pir.org/whois_search/

I pretty much just forgot to renew the domain and now it's gone.

Odd...

Yes I still own outerspase.net, but I never owned musepack-source.de

The AOL email address is no longer valid really... I never use it.

spase <AT> outerspase.net or ramseth <AT> umd.edu (both end up in the same inbox).

Anyways let me know if I can be of assistance in some way (as far as web design, admin, etc.)

Reply #132
This is going a bit off-topic, but a good friend of mine said something about ATI I thought I should post here:

if ( ((ATI GFX) && (LINUX)) || (ATI AIW)) TroublesAhead();
if (ATI AIW) SwitchDriversForDifferentUse();
if ((ATI GFX) && (LINUX) && (AMD64)) NoGoIn3D();
if ((ATI GFX) && (!ATI AIW) ShouldBePrettyOK();
if ((ATI GFX) && (MULTIMON)) OK(BusinessTrue, GamingNoGo, MixedUseWith3rdPartySW);
if (((ATIGFX) && (Gaming)) && (ATITYPE =>9500)) Great(ExcludeMinority);

Reply #133
He told me why he rarely visits web forums.

I think I found another forum where FK has quite some posts too. I could be wrong but judging from the knowledge this user has (and the name of course) it must be him. Its the forum of the german loudspeaker factory Nubert:
http://www.nuforum.de/nuforum/viewtopic.php?p=9227#9227

Reply #134
He told me why he rarely visits web forums.

I think I found another forum where FK has quite some posts too. I could be wrong but judging from the knowledge this user has (and the name of course) it must be him. Its the forum of the german loudspeaker factory Nubert:
http://www.nuforum.de/nuforum/viewtopic.php?p=9227#9227

Aww and he's a "star"...how cute!

Reply #135
@ CiTay --> back to pc stuff:

i think its a good idea if you buy to equal HDs
and run them with RAID 1 (mirroring) because
i think that a headcrash or something won't be
good for development  .
than you don't have to think about backup everything etc.

Reply #136
@ CiTay --> back to pc stuff:

i think its a good idea if you buy to equal HDs
and run them with RAID 1 (mirroring) because
i think that a headcrash or something won't be
good for development   .
than you don't have to think about backup everything etc.

Yeah, but he'll get a DVD burner to make backups with. 

Reply #137
but that will just produce more noise for a hypothetical recovery...

(edit : about the double HD)

IMO the best for backup is a FireWire HD...

Reply #138
Update:

After some longer discussions with Frank, all parts were ordered and have arrived by now. Even Vertigo's donation, the Hercules Fortissimo III soundcard, is here now. I'm currently silencing the case and then i'll assemble all the parts. I'll also do some tests with different fan combinations and voltages later on, to achieve the best cooling at the lowest noise level. Finally i'll go about installing Windows XP and SuSE Linux, and configuring everything according to Frank's needs (i even have a detailed partitioning list, the guy's a perfectionist  ). By the way, the PC can't be delivered to Frank before ~ March 18th (2 weeks from now), because both Christian and Frank will be away for a few days until then. I'll keep you posted about further developments.

Reply #139
Can you upload pictures of the hardware CiTay?  I want to see all the dope gear  .
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #140
Can you upload pictures of the hardware CiTay?  I want to see all the dope gear  .

I will put up some pictures when it's far enough that you can recognize a PC... right now, stuff is still scattered all around the room, so there's not much to see yet.

Reply #141
Perhaps the separate parts is what he (and probably some others) would like to see. What's there to see if you hide all the important parts inside the case?

Reply #142
... because both Christian and Frank will be away for a few days until then. I'll keep you posted about further developments....

I'll go skiing with my family  !!!

Dont even think of stealing my snow, just so that the PC will arrive earlier at Frank, because he wont be here also during that time  .....

Reply #143
Yes, pics please, or else I call shens 

Reply #144
Pics coming very soon... 

Reply #145
May i present to you, Frank Klemm's new PC!

Without thumbnails (all on one page)

With thumbnails

I did many tests on how to achieve the lowest temps and the most silent operation. The temps are fine now and the noise is so low that i can hear my monitor. Yes, there's a slight hum coming from my monitor! When my own PC is running too, i can't hear when i turn this PC off or on. I have to look for the LEDs on the front. It has a defined airflow from the front intake to the back exhaust fan, both are regulated and on low-voltage. The CPU fan also has a lowered voltage and is regulated with a safeguard temp where the fan goes to a higher speed (would only activate in a very hot summer).

I did hours of stability test and function tests. It does everything to my full satisfaction, at high speeds. I already installed Windows XP. It will be configured and then the same will be done with SuSE Linux 9.

Reply #146
wow.. it looks like the shizzle bomb..  Awasome job.. where did you get the black sound dampening material that lines the inner sides of the case? just curious..

and you gonna take more pics when you deliver the puter to Frank?

Reply #147
wow.. it looks like the shizzle bomb..  Awasome job.. where did you get the black sound dampening material that lines the inner sides of the case? just curious..

Thanks. That material is from a german webshop that specializes on low-noise PCs. There should be shops like that in other countries too.

and you gonna take more pics when you deliver the puter to Frank?

Yes there will be more pics.

You might be wondering why his PC has a CD burner, if the DVD burner can burn CDs too. Well, Frank had that burner lying around and he sent it to me. I've talked about all the hardware with Frank for many days and this is what came out of that. And yes, it has 640 GB of hard disk space.

Reply #148
Some more data: The PC weighs a good 25 kilograms now. There isn't any vibration or mechanical instability anymore. The silenced front door greatly reduces CD/DVD reading noise. Front LEDs are blue and red and can be seen with the door closed. The PSU continues to power the fans for 3 minutes with low voltage after the PC has been turned off. The motherboard is an ABIT IC7-G.

Reply #149
Ok, now I want to see some bechmarks.