Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HOW TO: synchronise your last.fm playback stats with foobar (Read 380973 times) previous topic - next topic

HOW TO: synchronise your last.fm playback stats with foobar

Reply #1000
this looks to be a limitation of the component and obviously nothing can be done about it. i don't think the developer ever posted here and even the site it was hosted on is totally gone now.

Reply #1001
i'm fairly certain a selection change wouldn't cause my script to force a redraw of the whole layout. i think it's more likely to panel stack splitter causing that.

You were right, I've finally found the cause of the flicker - somehow the option named "titleformat mode on startup" in PSS was changed from "now playing" to "follow cursor". I must've changed that accidentally because I don't even know what is its purpose.

Reply #1002
Hey marc, thanks for the great script. ive been using it for a while but there is one thing i cant seem to get working. when i love a track on lastfm it syncs to my library but it does not work the other way around. when i "customdb love 1" a track in my library it doesnt carry over to lastfm. i checked the console but it doesnt say anything (playcount works fine).

edit: When i play a song that has love status in my library but not on lastfm it removes the love again.

Reply #1003
you're not supposed to use the context menu on tracks in the playlist. they exist only because the script needs them to work.

you love/unlove tracks by clicking the heart icon on the panel itself and the context menu options are then triggered on a successful response from last.fm's servers.

Reply #1004
oh right, i bound my buttons to the wrong command. how do i bind a button in my playback toolbar to the heart icon?

Reply #1005
that's not possible. if it was, i would have mentioned it in the readme...

Loving/unloving tracks

Just click the heart icon to love a track. The local database is only updated on a successful response from Last.fm. Check the foobar2000 console for confirmation or errors. If a track is already loved, clicking the button will simply unlove the track. Tooltips indicate what will happen before you click the button.

Reply #1006
Hey - thanks a lot for this tool. After searching far and wide this seemed to be the only thing available that could easily copy my iTunes playcounts into Foobar (via LastFM) - I even tried writing a python script to modify my iTunes Library XML file by copying the playcounts into the comments field but that didn't work. Quick question though - the playcount syncing didn't seem to grab everything for me. It got a good number of items in my library but for others it doesn't seem to get the playcount until I successfully scrobble the track and then it syncs - i.e. it goes from 0 to 10 upon playing the track. I should also mention I'm using the default LastFM desktop app for scrobbling. Any ideas what's going on? Obviously I wouldn't like to have to play everything to get all my playcounts

edit: whoops, think I figured it out. Turned off last fm auto correct in Foobar and on the website settings, re-synced and it looks like it grabbed everything. Annoying, but I guess I can turn it back on now and be good to go yeah?

Reply #1007
edit: whoops, think I figured it out. Turned off last fm auto correct in Foobar and on the website settings, re-synced and it looks like it grabbed everything. Annoying, but I guess I can turn it back on now and be good to go yeah?

i'm pretty sure changing this setting does not affect previous scrobbles so it shouldn't have made any difference?? 

Reply #1008
i'm pretty sure changing this setting does not affect previous scrobbles so it shouldn't have made any difference?? 

Here's the problem in a nutshell: I had tracks by "Above and Beyond". Last FM classified these as "Above & Beyond". When I tried to Library Import, the LASTFM_PLAYCOUNT_DB was unknown for my "Above and Beyond" tracks, but when I played them in full it would go from unknown to 6 or whatever. I think this was because upon playing it would sync with the Above & Beyond scrobbles it DID have. But obviously I didn't want to have to play all the tracks where I had differences vs Last FM autocorrect just to get the correct playcount stats. Turning off the autocorrect told last FM the scrobbles were actually "Above and Beyond", taking care of all the "unknown" tracks.

Reply #1009
everything is working fine here and there have been no outages reported on the last.fm status page.

make sure you're running the latest version of my script. right click one of the panels>Update script. if the update fails, you download this file and save it inside your foobar profile\marc2003 folder. do this while foobar is closed. if you get any kind of script errors on startup, the scripts in your panels might be out of date in which case you'll need to import the latest from the full download.

also, you can try opening internet explorer, going in to internet options>browsing history>delete>temporary internet files.

if all this does nothing, try a new panel and import either the musicbrainz or discogs script into it. these scripts also use JSON feeds and it might help determine if the problem is just last.fm related or not.

Hi marc

I've also been getting json errors, I've done all the steps you just mentioned (checked update, made sure I've done it properly), and the discogs and musicbrainz scripts seem to work fine

My last.fm username is bbm-ng and I'll get a console output that looks like the following: http://pastebin.com/RJFsF2Kr

I do have a huge last.fm profile (300k+ plays), could it be that the json is just too big to parse or something? It doesn't always fail at 1200, sometimes it's 1400 for example.

Any suggestions?

Reply #1010
i tested your username and it worked ok - i got 1 page error but the rest was fine. i've uploaded the database file here... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2280132...tomdb_sqlite.db

make sure foobar is closed and then save this in your foobar profile folder making sure you overwrite the existing file.

Reply #1011
i tested your username and it worked ok - i got 1 page error but the rest was fine. i've uploaded the database file here... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2280132...tomdb_sqlite.db

make sure foobar is closed and then save this in your foobar profile folder making sure you overwrite the existing file.

Cool, seems to have worked fine.

Cheers!

Reply #1012

thanks! I had the same problem. your solution added playcounts to over 2000 tracks which hadnt any yet.

Reply #1013
Hey marc,

I'm looking to revert back to using tags for my playcounts.
Is there any existing way to convert your db to a playcount tag on each file?

Thanks,

Reply #1014
Library menu>search

Code: [Select]
%LASTFM_PLAYCOUNT_DB% PRESENT

select all results>right click>properties>right click playcount tag>format from other fields>enter %LASTFM_PLAYCOUNT_DB% as the pattern

Reply #1015
Library menu>search

select all results>right click>properties>right click playcount tag>format from other fields>enter %LASTFM_PLAYCOUNT_DB% as the pattern

Ah, should have thought of this.

Thank you so much!

Reply #1016
Afternoon all, I could use some help on this issue, I've been having some crashes on FB2K, now, I do not know if it's related to foo_customdb or this script.

Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/aJbRF6GB

I have noticed that it happens, not everytime, but sometimes when the Song Length reaches 50%.

Reply #1017
Afternoon all, I could use some help on this issue, I've been having some crashes on FB2K, now, I do not know if it's related to foo_customdb or this script.

I have noticed that it happens, not everytime, but sometimes when the Song Length reaches 50%.

In the mean time, I would suggest create a portable installation of foobar beside your current one. Pull your library file over if it's very large, but slowly re-install each component and attempt to simulate the error each time. If you hit Online Troubleshooter in the help menu, it will be one of those components that is causing the issue. You have many components that seem to have something to do with playback, so it is definitely one of those. Check for new updates for each of those components too, many components are not a part of the auto-update system and can update without warning. (Though more likely they haven't, because foobar components seem to be dying out except for those maintained by koda.)

Reply #1018
are you using the foo_customdb.dll.cfg that i supply with the download? with that, the component has been perfectly stable for me - and i think everyone else.

if you edit the database settings manually so you can use foo_customdb for other things, it may well be that. foo_customdb is notoriously unstable if you use the default settings.

but rather than try and troubleshoot by removing other components, i'd just remove foo_customdb and see how you get on.

Reply #1019
I bought a new computer and foobar just wont start with foo_customdb.dll. If i start it in compatibility mode for Windows7 or before, it just works without any hassle.

Reply #1020
very nice job on this, i like it alot!
<--adamf9898-->

Reply #1021
I bought a new computer and foobar just wont start with foo_customdb.dll. If i start it in compatibility mode for Windows7 or before, it just works without any hassle.

i guess i must have missed this post before but my old computer was running windows8.1update1 and i'd not had any issues like that. it just worked. i've not been able to try any newer versions of windows because i'm currently stuck with a piece of junk only capable of running windows XP. 

Reply #1022
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but is there any way for the playcount grabbed from last.fm to be combined with/transferred the foo_playcount (aka playback statistics) component?

Reply #1023
i think the only way you can do that is by manually transferring the foo_customdb values in to the play_count tags inside the files. then you can import from the files into foo_playcount.

assuming all your tracks are monitored as part of foobar's library, you can use the Library menu>Search

then select all the results>right click>properties. create a new tag play_count tag>right click>format from other fields and use %LASTFM_PLAYCOUNT_DB% as the pattern.

click ok to close the properties dialog. then with all the files still highlighted, you should find some import option for foo_playcount on the right click menu.

Reply #1024

Regarding this problem, I have re-installed the custom db, and so far had no issues, thank you for the tips