Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio equipment recommendations? (Read 2326 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio equipment recommendations?

For one, I'm just new to HydrogenAudio--if I'm commiting any faux pas here, let me know!

I'm a music education student and I'm heading back for another year at school in a few months. I have a rather small dorm room, which I will share with another person. I want to look into getting some decent audio equipment for my dorm so I can have something better than my stock Dell Inspiron laptop speakers.

I listen primarily to classical music, as that is what I mainly study--and enjoy. I have everything either in FLAC format or in the form of the original disk. I can't have anything too loud, either--dorm rules and all.

What would you all recommend for a medium-sized college dorm with the intent of playing higher quality classical music--on a budget of around a hundred dollars or so, I can have some wiggle room if needed.

Reply #1
I would go with a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 headphones for around $100.

Reply #2
I can't have anything too loud, either--dorm rules and all.
Wow!  When I was in college (in the stone ages) the goal was to have a sound system that could be heard across the campus! 

OK...  As always, if you are picky about sound quality I recommend that you go to the store and listen.  All headphones & speakers sound different, and you can't really go by specs or recommendations.  As a general rule, headphones are more economical, and a good quality $100 pair of headphones might be as good-sounding as a $500 pair of speakers. 

I have a pair of HD280s, and they are usually highly-rated for their price range.  But still, go listen before you buy.

With a computer, you need an amplifier.      The amplifier is built-into "computer speakers", or you can get "active" (or "powered") studio monitors which also have an amp built-in.  (But, you won't find real monitors in your price range.) Regular hi-fi speakers need an amplifier (or receiver,etc.) between the computer and speakers.

Reply #3
I have a pair of HD280s, and they are usually highly-rated for their price range.  But still, go listen before you buy.
They're really my optimal price-point. Beyond that, you get diminishing returns. I'm another happy HD280 owner.

In the end though: Use your ears! Don't let any of us sell you on anything. It's the only way to get to know a pair of phones: listen. Don't worry about "breaking them in" or anything.