Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Back up music files from iTunes to what & how (Read 3253 times) previous topic - next topic

Back up music files from iTunes to what & how

I can build a gaming rig, but this music saving software is OVER my head!

I lost all my itunes library in the last update, so I want to insure that does not happen again.  I struggled with trying to get DL CD to go from foobar to itunes (no title or song names listed), so I went ahead and installed in itunes and then dragged over to toolbar.  Now what?  Convert to MP3 or some other format somehow before moving to external HD?

Are these questions too elemental for this crowd?

Reply #1
I can build a gaming rig, but this music saving software is OVER my head!

I lost all my itunes library in the last update, so I want to insure that does not happen again.  I struggled with trying to get DL CD to go from foobar to itunes (no title or song names listed), so I went ahead and installed in itunes and then dragged over to toolbar.  Now what?  Convert to MP3 or some other format somehow before moving to external HD?

Are these questions too elemental for this crowd?

You can copy and paste the music files from their directory location to another location or drive using the same method you use to copy and paste any files. Right click the upper level directory in file explorer then paste it to where you want on (I presume) another drive connected via USB.

Reply #2
Yep I''ve moved the iTunes files to external HD fine.  It's just that they are still in itunes format.  Would it not be helpful to save them in a move versatile format?

Reply #3
Do you need them in another format? If not, there’s not much point in converting them. Transcoding reduces quality, and most people would recommend that you retain the originals anyway if you do transcode. M4A/AAC is not likely to go away, I don’t think, so it should be possible to find a compatibly hardware player in the future. As for now, I assume you still have some way to play these files, so I wouldn’t worry about converting them, at least until you have to.

Reply #4
Yep I''ve moved the iTunes files to external HD fine.  It's just that they are still in itunes format.  Would it not be helpful to save them in a move versatile format?

What do you mean by iTunes format?