Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp and Protected WMA (Read 3498 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp and Protected WMA

What was the first version of Winamp capable of playing protected WMA?  I know this is kinda offtopic, but there's really no category that fits more.  I really dislike the bloat in the later versions, so I try to use the earliest builds I can.

Winamp and Protected WMA

Reply #1
I really dislike the bloat in the later versions, so I try to use the earliest builds I can.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325925"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know wich was the earliest build that could play protected WMA, but you know you can choose wich components to install during setup, right?. What do you blame of causing this "bloat", btw?, the media library, the shoutcast support, faster ripping and/or  encoding, the visualizations?
we was young an' full of beans

Winamp and Protected WMA

Reply #2
Honestly I don't know, but the lite versions have gone from 300k to 500k (2.95) to 1 mb, and I've noticed more memory consumption and it feels slower on my Thunderbird.  The interface as a whole feels a little less responsive.  Maybe just me, but I like the older versions.  Any help w/ the WMA's?

Winamp and Protected WMA

Reply #3
I actually have noticed the higher memory consumption too, also, the newer versions take a longer time to start up, even though i don't even use the media library so there's nothing to load at startup, even using the classic skin mode it takes a while, anyway i use MAC as my media library. I have no idea to what version was the first to play protected WMA, but be aware that up until the latest releases like 5.08, WMA playback was fixed of stuttering and pausing (so says the version history).
we was young an' full of beans

Winamp and Protected WMA

Reply #4
Correct.  Winamp really blew WMA support for numerous later versions.  It's best to stay with a current build.  It's 2005 and Winamp is far from "bloat" even in it's almost abandonded state.