Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good cans (Read 17561 times) previous topic - next topic

Good cans

so... any? i have sony mdr-v300 that i've had since x-mas of '02, so its a good while old , one headphone is falling apart, the cable is too long, its uncomfortable with long listening sessions, and while sound is good it could be much better. contendors?

Good cans

Reply #1
Grado SR-80.

Good cans

Reply #2
i need something that's comfortable, i heard they aren't very. and while grado's may be good, i want something that wont make me look like an absolute phreak (these look like they are from the 1980s)

Good cans

Reply #3
i need something that's comfortable, i heard they aren't very. and while grado's may be good, i want something that wont make me look like an absolute phreak (these look like they are from the 1980s)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They can actually be quite comfortable depending on the size of your ears etc. And if it's not for portable use, the looks shouldn't matter too much. I was very close in getting the SR-80's, but in the end I landed on the new Sennheiser HD 595

Good cans

Reply #4
some people find canal phones very comfortable.  ive heard very good things about the shure E2c, and they are in your price range.  imho, whey would be much more stylish than the big "cans."  im actually wanting to get a pair.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Good cans

Reply #5
i found my grado SR-60's (same external design i think) to be painfully uncomfortable and i wore them for 4+ hours every day for 2 years so it wasnt like the band wasnt broken in, when i eventually replaced then with some sennheisers i was so glad as there really comfortable.

Good cans

Reply #6
i eventually replaced then with some sennheisers i was so glad as there really comfortable.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sennheiser HD515 
I have no personal experience with these but I am thinking about buying them.  I've read only good things about them.

[a href="http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=newHD-1]http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/produ...transid=newHD-1[/url]

...pretty easy to find a pair for less than MSRP as listed on the above link...maybe $50-70 or so.

Good cans

Reply #7
i duno why i put this in mp3 general -- wrong forum -- sorry. feel free to move it moderators

Good cans

Reply #8
Another vote for Grado SR80.

I've had a pair for about a month now, found them comfortable enough right out of the box, and find them a delight to wear now that they've had a chance to "loosen up" a bit. Soundwise, they are sensational.

One caveat, though: they really do need some sort of dedicated headphone amp to drive them properly. I'm using an RCA SA-155 Integrated Stereo amplifier, available for $59.99 here or through your local Radio Shack, and in terms of "bang for the buck" I recommend it highly.

EDIT: The SR80's come with a 6' cord. HCM Audio has them at a package price of $95.00, including a 12' extension cord and free shipping.

Regards,
Madrigal

Good cans

Reply #9
I can only agree with the fact that Grados can be extremely painful to wear for a prolonged period of time. Some this seems to differ from person to person so it might depend on the anatomy of ones ears.  However before buying a pair I would definitely recommend testing them on your ears for a few hours in a row.

Furthermore Grados should actually not need a dedicated headphone amp.  They have very low impendance (32 ohms) and it should be possible to drive them with most headphone outs.

Good cans

Reply #10
"If you're using an amp and would like to take a slight step up in Grado sound quality from the SR60, try the SR80. They have good sound quality, with fair bass, articulate mids and highs. They can be a bit uncomfortable, but fine if you bend the headband to fit. They can be powered by a portable, but an amp is necessary for higher quality sound."

Source: HeadRoom

Regards,
Madrigal

Good cans

Reply #11
I have Etymotic ER-4Ps. They are just excellent.

Good cans

Reply #12
I have Etymotic ER-4Ps. They are just excellent.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289677"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ER4P's are a bit more than $100 Well worth it.

the ER6 is closer to that price range.

Scott

PS - Grado's are OK for some Music, not others, they are OPEN cans too, so you can hear envoirnmental sound with them on, and everyone around you will hear your music.

Got to Audiocubes.com the Audio-Technica A500's are supposed to be good, I have the A900's and LOVE them.

Good cans

Reply #13
They are well under your price range, but the Beyerdynamic DT231s sound good and are very comfortable. I heartily recommend them. They do have one failing however - even though they are closed phones they don't attenuate background noise much, so they aren't ideal for a noisy environment.

Good cans

Reply #14
 Wouldn't the "Audio Hardware" forum be a more suitable place for this thread? 

Good cans

Reply #15
Wouldn't the "Audio Hardware" forum be a more suitable place for this thread? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289704"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i duno why i put this in mp3 general -- wrong forum -- sorry. feel free to move it moderators
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289650"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good cans

Reply #16
some time ago I decided to buy headphones in the price range equal to yours 100$
..I searched reviews on net and decided to go for Sennheiser HD515 or Grado SR80, so couple of days ago I went into the store to try these two
...and I left the shop (suprised myself to) with a pair of Philips HP-1000!
They are much more comfortable that Senheiser and sound is just great, I don't know about other Philips headphones but in this price range it is a big recomend from me

strange but this is only proper link I could find about them
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=...ofile/08philips
a frag a day keeps the doctor away

Good cans

Reply #17
I have the Grado/Alessandro MS-2 and whilst i am happy with them they are not comfortable.
The headband is extrememly inadequet for the weight and after a while will give you a bit of a headache (i have a shaved head, no hair to cushion them) also the band requires some bending so not to clamp your head to tight.

The pads arnt uncomfy just not comfy, my ears arnt too big but i imagine big ears to be very bad combination.

I like the retro design but the design could definatly be improved for comfort without much effort or bumping up the price. (unless you diy which might cost a bit)

I also find the sound to be fairly fateuging? after a while. burning in helps a bit.

I wouldnt bother amping grado's lower than sr225 imo the improvement does not justify the cost.

I find myself listening to Koss sporta pro's daily which sound very good for the price, they are light portable and comfy, the sound is also non fatiguing?

Good cans

Reply #18
anyone have experience with sony mdr-v600 or mdr-v700 dj ?

Good cans

Reply #19
The "pro" level Sony MDR-7506 are superb and the band can be bent out so they just lightly rest on the head with no clamping (I have a big head).  I heard they were very popular with movie and music mixers but didn't really believe it until I actually saw them on the production audio guys heads in backstage videos, etc.  These are the same as the old V6, but NOT the same as the subsequent V600 which were lacking in mids/highs.

I have been using 7506's for about 10yrs.  When the pads on both my pair were flaking I decided to try something else.  I tried Sennheiser 600, wow they were superb in every way EXCEPT cymbals did not sound right (I'm a drummer) - they were slightly muted, unbelievable so I returned them to the headphone.com ppl (they were very understandable and heard this before and I think suggested Grado's).  So I then tried the more expensive Sony MDR-7509 thinking those would sound better - but NO they had too much, unrealistic bass.  So I found a place  http://www.trewaudio.com  that sells replacement 7506 earpads and kept the beauties. 

Note that I also have Etymotic ER6 which are also superb, sound just like the 7506's BUT the only negative is they hurt my canals after repeated insertions/removals.

I think the 7506's can be found for around $100 if you shop around.  I see Trew has a sale on them but they don't show the price:
http://www.trewaudio.com/sony_mdr7506_esale_details.htm

Good cans

Reply #20
anyone have experience with sony mdr-v600 or mdr-v700 dj ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've had MDR-V600 for some five years and they are the best 'phones I ever tried. I cannot agree with markeau about the mids and highs - they are quite adequate IMO. To me, the real strength of the V600 is the accuracy of the sound reproduction. I bought mine for $100, but I haven't seen them anywhere for a long time now.

While I did walk around with them on a few occasions, I can't help feeling their size makes you look a little strange out-doors, though the design makes up for that  somewhat. They can be a bit hard on the ears after about two-three hours of continouos wear. So these days I stick to Sony's [a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=HOJh9c7SO2ph5Yy4JUtr_oHcg5meCujlqU8=?ProductSKU=MDREX71SL&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_Headphones_FontopiaEarbud]MDR-EX71SL[/url]s.  The sound is not as detailed or refined as with the V600, but is more than fine for use with portables (mine is an iRiver iFP-799). And best of all, I hardly feel them, ever. I lost count of how many times I felt asleep with them in and only woke up because the iRiver started poking me into the ribs after some turning in my sleep, heheh.

Their huge bass may not be to everyone's taste, so you should audition them before making the final decision, if possible. Note that I'm no big fan of either Sony or "big bass" but these 'phones sound pretty natural to me - admittedly I haven't tried Etymotics, but those are well out of the discussed price range =).

Good cans

Reply #21
Sennheiser HD-590s, or virtually any of the Sennheiser HD series.
They're very comfortable, have long cords, and several are open-design so they're great for wearing in an office environment where you still need to be able to hear the phone ring or someone talking to you.

Good cans

Reply #22
I'll cast a vote for my awsome sounding Grado SR-80s.

They're just like the SR60s, but with better base reproduction.  These have to to be the best unamplified cans I have heard.  Don't bother with an amp until you hit the 125/225/325 series, it's not worth it.

As for comfort.... I'm sure you could find more comfortable phones, but they've never really bothered me in the 1 1/2 years I've had them.

Oh btw, I like the retro look of the Grados.  It's like some old style 60s reproduction or something.  Cool.

I do have an opinion on the Sony v600s... they are inferior to the old v6 model.  So don't buy them.  Get something different as the above 7506 discussion outlined.

Sen 590s are also very cool.

Good cans

Reply #23
so... any? i have sony mdr-v300 that i've had since x-mas of '02, so its a good while old , one headphone is falling apart, the cable is too long, its uncomfortable with long listening sessions, and while sound is good it could be much better. contendors?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=289629"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I highly recommend the Sony MDR-7506, a.k.a. MDR-V6(Not MDR-V600). However, while it is a very accurate headphone in my comparisons to particular live feeds using linear measurement microphones(and according to John Dunlavy of Dunlavy Labs in similar comparisons), it may not be musically pleasing to some people. It is made very well(better than most headphones, regardless of price) and is comfortable if you remove the thin narrow rings found under the grill cloth(the rings press against your ear cartilage-they are removed easily). It should be available from several online sources that will allow you to return for a full refund if you dont like them. It is often available at  local professional audio stores.

-Chris

Good cans

Reply #24
I have a Philips HP-1000 too and it´s extremely comfortable. I don't have any experience with other headphones of it's price range (I believe it's less than US$100) to make a comparison of sound quality. I find them very good. As good as or better than in some aspects than my Tannoy MX-2M speakers. I'm really pleased with this headphone.