Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Should I correct the speed of my Vinyl rips? (They're all a bit sl (Read 21956 times) previous topic - next topic

Should I correct the speed of my Vinyl rips? (They're all a bit sl

Reply #25
So I was used to all my records playing slightly too fast - the correct speed sounded too slow.

My solution? Wrap some tape around the motor pulley!

Hehe.. This reminds me of a particular song that I originally heard at 45rpm's instead of 33 (it was mixed with another), and when I got one Mp3 of it some years later, i used to play with +12% speedup with a pitch change plugin in Winamp XD

(Yes, this made a very big difference)

Reply #26
Hi,

I have done some very precise work at audio recovery.  I suppose I am more exacting because I have background working in a radio studio.

Over the past ten years I spent a great deal of time recovering audio which in most cases originated from vinyl.  Sometimes the route was in-direct (as the vinyl was no longer around and it had been transfered to analog audio tape.) That obviously added another area of recovery... but in regards to adjusting speed,  this certainly became an issue as often the original recording deck did not match the current playback unit.

Concentrating on speed,  I am fortunately a musiican so I got in the habit of taking out a reliable pitch source,  in this a case an accordion.  It's easy to hold a steady note.  Utilizing software that can increase or lower the pitch of audio which has been transfered to digital medium one can match slightly off-tones to see just how far off the speed of your recording became through it's various stages of dubbing.  Of course one does not need an accordion,  and I would not recommend that you try this with an acoustical instrument (they are not pitch reliable),  as an accordion is actually a metal reed instrument.  Tuning fork,  electric tuners,  I assume will be less pricey and available to the average person.

There is an exception to this.  It is obvious that there have been some moments in which studio engineers have decided for one reason or other to manipulate the recorded pitch which is mastered in a recording. Always,  there are exceptions.

It could get worse.  I have had a few precious recordings in which the audio speed either varied constantly due to an off-center support hole in an analog disk.  I have been dreaming of an inexpensive software solution to that.

And of course,  perhaps you grew up with these recordings sounding precisely off-key as they are now that you have transferred them.  I personally found listening to RCA's 8-track version of "Fat Angel" by the Jefferson Airplane",  which brings to memory the Chipmunks and Mickey Mouse,  a bit amusing and thereby fond to my heart.

Reply #27
My bottom of the range 80s table runs a tad slow at 33 1/3 and pretty much spot on at 45.

Reply #28
Heh - I'm reminded of a Schoenberg record I have that skipped/locked grooves in precisely a position that made it seem like it was a deliberate part of the music. Schoenberg meets John Cage, I tell you!

Reply #29
Bear in mind there are different kinds of resampling.  Some will speed up the song but not change the pitch (not what you want).  Some will change the speed and pitch the same amount... essentially saying the song was recorded at 43 khz in stead of 44.1 for example.

Many turntables (adjustable ones anyway) have a pattern with lines of dots on the edge of the platter and a neon bulb shining on it strobing at 50 or 60 Hz (depending on your country).  WHen the speed is right, the dots for that speed appear to stand still.

For other turntables you could get a paper disk with a similar pattern to put on top of the platter. This one was on wikipedia.  Maybe you can find one online for 60 Hz that you can print out.