Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Prefrences for Cover Art / Metadata... (Read 7236 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Prefrences for Cover Art / Metadata...

Hey guys, can anyone explain to me why I sould use the "Scale large image" feature in the Cover Art Prefrences of XLD ?

If there is coverart, wouldn't I want that at it's maximum size / resolution if I'm not worried about space on my external hard drive... ?

Or is there some other reason I would want to scale down any images?

Screen Shot of XLD, Prefrences, Cover Art

Reply #1
Some artwork is available in 16 megapixel resolutions and more. For albums with many small tracks the embedded artwork could take more space than the music itself. Some people consider this overkill and for those there is this option.

I never use more space than 120kB per Track myself, which is already quite much. High resolution artwork can be saved in a separate folder. It is needless to multiply it by embedding it into the tracks.

Reply #2
Did you really make a topic for this? It's just for personal preference in case a user wants all images a specific uniform size.

Reply #3
What happens if you just choose not to embed the artwork in the files ?

Reply #4
Then artwork does not get embedded. 

Reply #5
Where /  how would I ever see the artwork embedded in the files ?  (I know i'm an idiot) 

Reply #6
Where /  how would I ever see the artwork embedded in the files ?  (I know i'm an idiot) 

Well in itunes, songbird or whatever player you use, as well as in the finder!

Reply #7
So if I don't embed the artwork, when I convert the FLACs to MP3s the artwork wouldn't show up in Itunes. Got it.

Is there any reason / advantage to not have the artwork embedded besides saving space?

Reply #8
Instead of starting another thread I have a question that relates to the above topic (sort of).  I've ripped lots of cds to .aiff over the last 3 years but somewhere along the way XLD stopped getting the album artwork when it got the rest of the metadata from Musicbrainz or Gracenote.  I persisted in ripping cds as I didn't care that much but I regret that now.  Is there any way I can add artwork retrospectively?  Each cd is ripped to its own folder with a log file.  Recently I have started to find the artwork separately and drop it on the XLD artwork zone.

Thanks!