Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is adding to old posts frowned upon? (Read 3463 times) previous topic - next topic

Is adding to old posts frowned upon?

As a new user here, i have tons of questions. I'm spending lots of time doing searches to see if topics have already been covered to avoid starting up new topics. 

However, there are some topics that i've felt like asking for clarifications on or making an addition to. Do people here frown on adding to "dead" topics that are old?  if so, how old is too old?
If i missed this in the TOS, please point my nose at it.

For what it's worth, i've looked for this question and can't find an answer on the boards.

Thanks.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #1
So long as you're on-topic and relevant, there should be no problem. However, make sure that you're adding something worthwhile or not asking about something already covered in the thread. That's what irks us.

Reply #2
People seem to have a hard time deciding whether their addition to a dormant thread is really on-topic, IMHO. I do really like the fact that we can revive old threads, but I wish the board would pop up a message if someone tries to add to a thread that hasn't been touched in a long while. It could advise them to click Yes to start a new thread if their post is along the lines of "I want to ask a different but related question, not continue the old discussion," or click No to go ahead and add to the current thread. Or something like that.

Reply #3
You don't need to worry that much about it. Try, and if you did it wrong, you'll get a warning and us moderators will handle your mess. If you did it right, congratulations, you maintained continuity across the aeons.

Reply #4
laughs @ Canar. Also, as regards to your sig, i didn't do it.

Thanks all.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile