Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Files "invisible" after transfer to new drive (Read 2680 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Files "invisible" after transfer to new drive

My hard drive crashed but I was able to use a USB case to copy the files to a new computer. However now some  (10%?) of flac files aren't showing up in foobar. When I look in the folder they are there, with flac file names, but they won't play.

Is there anything I can do to make these files playable?

Edit: tested on my J3 and while it shows up, it doesn't play and says "invalid file."

Am I doomed?

Reply #1
There's a flac tester with flac I believe. Use that and see what it says. It sounds like the data is screwed though.

Reply #2
If the hard drive failed, it's likely that the data is simply corrupted and you're out of luck.

There are data recovery tools out there, but I've never used them. And I suppose the recoverability of errors depends on what the specifics are - sometimes its just the file system that gets corrupted, sometimes the disk head actually crashes into the platter and physically scrapes the surface of the disk.

It's possible that the data's just gone.