Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 5.1 FLAC decoding (Read 5538 times) previous topic - next topic

5.1 FLAC decoding

I have received a FLAC file containing 5.1 audio data in six discrete channels.
FLAC Front-End successfully decodes this to a .wav file.
WMP will not play either the FLAC original or the decoded .wav file.
Winamp will play the .wav file - apparently in 2-channel stereo

My old version of Cool Edit 2.1 will import the wav file as a multi-channel file and shows six separate waveforms when imported. In multichannel mode, I can play any one or several of these channels, but these are all panned by default as Centre and are labelled 1 to 6 with no indication which is which.

It is of course very easy to tell which of the six channels is the LFE (or sub-woofer) track; surprisingly, this shows up as Channel 4 of 6 (I would have thought 6 of 6 would be normal).
It is not so easy to tell which of the other five channels is which.
I am not familiar with the material, but by listening carefully to the Winamp playing, I can more or less tell which is Left and which is Right, but I am not really sure which is front and rear and even less certain which is Centre channel.
Is there a standard methodology for the channel arrangement?
If not, what other detection methods work reliably.
What I hope to do eventually is to upsample the bitrate and resolution to 96/24, edit the material in Cool Edit then encode and burn the six channels to DVD-A using Disc Welder.

Any tips?

5.1 FLAC decoding

Reply #1
if the 4th channel is lfe, it's probably the standard 6ch assignment (fl, fr, fc, lfe, sl, sr)
see channel assignment: http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#frame_header
if it has a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK tag you can figure it out from that

5.1 FLAC decoding

Reply #2
Thanks Josh,
I guess I'll take it that the file is standard and work from there.
Thanks for the link.
I tried a couple of things to discover whether the file has the tag you mention and what it contains if it exists, but I don't know how to do this.
I can't find any reference in the "explain" feature for FLAC and none of the references on a web search helps.
Still, I am fairly confident I won't need to know.
Presumably, if I want a 2-channel stereo mix of this, I pan the Left front channel 100% Left, pan the Right front channel Right and leave LFE in the centre. I am guessing I won't need the Centre channel as this is usually derived from LF and RF anyway. The rear channels are essentially echo from the front channels, so I would not want to try to mix those in at all. Is that Correct, Nearly correct, or Close enough for government work?

Regards

5.1 FLAC decoding

Reply #3
you can use
Code: [Select]
metaflac.exe --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT

to show all the tags, or just
Code: [Select]
metaflac.exe --show-tag=WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK

5.1 FLAC decoding

Reply #4
Thanks again, Josh.
As it happens, I think the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK tag is missing from the file.
The only tag data types are Streaminfo, Vorbis_Comment and Padding and the only Vorbis tags are Length, Vendor string and (5) Comments containing text details of the recording.
A Streaminfo tag confirms the data is 6-channel but that's it.
Anyway DVD-R blanks are 35¢, so if it doesn't come out right I'll re-do it.

Regards