IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
foo_onewaysync, Copy playlists and files to your portable player with a single click
zimjo
post Apr 3 2014, 00:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 115309

Fellow foobar users,

as I got tired of manually moving playlists and their files to a portable player, I decided to create a component to simplify this task. Now, after many nights of fighting with the SDK and testing, I'd like to share my work with you.

foo_onewaysync adds menu commands that will copy selected playlists and the corresponding files with a single click. Plus the option to convert lossless files to mp3 on the fly. The lossy files will be stored also in the folder of the source file for later use. When choosing this option, I recommend to exclude the generated lossy files from foobars media library by adding the exclusion rule '*.lossy.mp3'.
A context command is also available under File Operations, in case you want to copy only a selection of files and not entire playlists.

Happy testing! smile.gif

Disclaimer: The component has been tested in foobar 1.3.1 on a Win7 machine and I did not encounter any problems. Nevertheless, I am not responsible if this component damages your files, crashes your computer or has any other undesired effects. Thank you.

Download
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mudlord
post Apr 3 2014, 08:55
Post #2

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 49165

Is it possible to support other encoders than LAME?
I've been wanting to write a component like this for some time for my Sansa Clip Zip for syncing files both ways between my player and reencoding files.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by mudlord: Apr 3 2014, 09:05
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 3 2014, 09:49
Post #3

Which encoder are you thinking of?
In principle, you can use any command line encoder able to handle PCM input, if it takes the two arguments source and destination filepath. The component does not care what is called, but it should produce a foobar compatible file at the expected location. However, some hardcoded command line options probably have to be adapted.
+Quote Post
detmek
post Apr 3 2014, 16:10
Post #4

Member No.: 54802

Any chance to support DSP during conversion and lossy-lossy conversion?
I listen my music on phone which does not have crossfeed so I convert files using DSP Crossfeed into AAC. Source format is FLAC, AAC or MP3.
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 3 2014, 22:04
Post #5

Good idea! I've added lossy-lossy conversion, since it is reasonable in case a portable player does not support certain file types.
DSP functionality, however, is beyond the scope of this component. Maybe you can find an app for your phone which has a crossfeed feature...
+Quote Post
chamber32
post Apr 4 2014, 00:12
Post #6

Member No.: 27852

It would be great if one could specify max total size to copy.

c32

--------------------
http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/gimme.cgi?wid=81d303534
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 4 2014, 11:07
Post #7

What is the benefit of this? You would not be able to prioritize which playlists or files get copied. So the behaviour is similar to right now, copying stops if space in the destination runs out. In particular, every time you run the onewaysync command the same files are copied. The proper way to do this is imho to limit the length of playlists. If you want more refined control over size of playlists I suggest to look into foo_random_pools.
+Quote Post
q-stankovic
post Apr 6 2014, 15:20
Post #8

Member No.: 31251

If there is no playlist checked in "sync commands and options" then foobar2000 crashes when calling a command from main menu -> file -> onewaysync.

I've sended the crash report by foobar2000s crash dialogue.

Edit:

In preferences under the components page foo_onewaysync appears 4 times in the listing

Edit2:

I've sended two crash reports mor. The component crshes often when applying commands from Context menu

This post has been edited by q-stankovic: Apr 6 2014, 15:44

--------------------
german support forum: www.foobar-users.de / user: qwert73
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 6 2014, 23:09
Post #9

Thanks for your feedback. Should all be fixed in newest version. Please let me know if you still experience crashes, in particular when using context command.
+Quote Post
q-stankovic
post Apr 7 2014, 18:26
Post #10

Thank you for the component!

Before i come with some small suggestions and a feature request let me ask for the difference of the two commands in context menu "default" and "select..."

At first running the "default" command opens the same pop up dialogue like "select..." and then not. I don't understand that? What means "default" exactly?. And wouldn't it be enough just to have a "sync to..." command in file operations submenu?

Another point: isn't it possible to get by sdk the commands of the convert submenu? So it would be possible to grab that commands from the "process destination files with"-list and to take full advantage of fb2k's converter capabilities (edit: see mudlords and detmeks requets)

Edit: i would regard it as elegant if the context menu of one way sync would act like the other file operations commands: you start with "sync to..." and could use the dialogue for synching or saving a preset. Doing the latter would then turn "sync to..." command into "sync to -> submenu (presets + ´...` for calling the sync dialogue)"

Edit2: Ok, that was a very spontaneous request with the recreation of context menu and leads to the idea (if making it work like copy and move to) to having the general sync options in the "playlist to device"-window.

This post has been edited by q-stankovic: Apr 7 2014, 19:17

--------------------
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 8 2014, 09:50
Post #11

I agree with you that it would be most elegant to use the built in foobar converter functionality. However, there is no interface to it in the SDK, in particular there is no way to get handles of the generated files.

The context menu commands should probably be made more intuitive. "Default" actually means last used setting. I will rename this and think about your suggestion for saving presets.
+Quote Post
q-stankovic
post Apr 8 2014, 21:25
Post #12

Thank you for considering! I think apart from having commands in fileops submenu that are acting same the biggest advantage is to have the socalled "general sync options" defined seperately in each preset. So you can reflect that different devices act differently, f.e. one device can play a file format that the other one cannot. Global options are restricting in that case and only meaningful if having only one device. Edit: for the same reason i think it would be better to have these "general sync option" also preset specific in foobar2000 preferences so that the main menu actions could be adressed to different devices

Two smaller suggestions for improving usability:

1. The name "Playlist to Device" for the popup windows is irritating: when running it the first time from context menu i thought that not only the selection would be copied but the whole playlist. Why not "Files to device"?

2. In preferences the "new" button at first adds the standard expression and then you have to click it for editing. Would be easier if the "new" button calls directly the editing window.

This post has been edited by q-stankovic: Apr 8 2014, 21:28

--------------------
+Quote Post
q-stankovic
post Apr 8 2014, 23:04
Post #13

QUOTE (zimjo @ Apr 8 2014, 10:50) *
I agree with you that it would be most elegant to use the built in foobar converter functionality. However, there is no interface to it in the SDK, in particular there is no way to get handles of the generated files.

I think you misunderstood me: i don't mean access of converter component directly by sdk but its commands in context menu - they are missing in the list of "process destination files with" list in ythe preferences. as far as i know that could be possible since i saw th access to dynamic submenus realized in several components. Wouldn't that do the trick?

This post has been edited by q-stankovic: Apr 8 2014, 23:05

--------------------
+Quote Post
zimjo
post Apr 9 2014, 10:37
Post #14

No, as I stated above there is no way for my component to know where converter places the generated files. The key purpose of the component is to export playlist files, and store lossy conversions of lossless files, such that they don't need to be converted every single time. Both of which is not possible with what you suggest, at least not with the current SDK.

Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that the user interface is not perfectly polished, yet. Maybe I'll find time on the weekend to do that. smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 22:33