Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 ACM codec for x64 systems (Read 8154 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 ACM codec for x64 systems

Hello all,

I'm currently evaluating a software (Vegas Pro 10) that requires ACM codecs for encoding the audio inside the video streams (AVI)
Under a 32 bits operating system, with a 32bits build of VP10, it's quite easy to find codecs that can produce MP3 and actually work.

But it is much more problematic to find usable codecs when using an x64 operating system (Win7 in that case) with a 32 or 64 bits build of VP10.

The nice people at rarewares.org provide a 32bit ACM build for LAME 3.98.4 (http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php) but despite having instructions for registering in a x64 operating system, the codec is not usable. It is seen by VP10, but when it tries to use it, it either crashes or tells there was a problem using the codec. Maybe it's the codec that has a problem, or maybe it's me doing stupid stuff, but I cannot use it on a just installed system inside a virtual machine.
And it's even worse when using a 64bits build because the ACM codec is then not seen at all, as one would actually expect because a 32bits codec is not usable by a 64bits process.

So I went around looking for solutions and after trying lots of different options (each time resetting the test virtual machine), I stumbled upon that page:

http://www.looprecorder.de/tut_l3codec.php

having tested it, I can say it works!
Apparently, it seems that with windows media player 11, Microsoft has got a license for the MP3 codec from Fraunhofer but does not install it by default.

In the end, once you have created those registry keys and rebooted, a new codec appears in the list with the same name as one that was there before , that is "MPEG Layer-3". But this time it proposes a list of possible encoding formats and VP can use it just fine to do the rendering.

Funny thing is that this l3codecp.acm file was mentioned in numerous threads in this very forum, along with equivalent registry instructions but I had not noticed it at all. Maybe that was because I was specifically looking for x64 instructions.

Anyway, this solution is not as good as using the LAME codec as it does not offer as much encoding options but it has the advantage that it works with 64 bits applications.
I hope that some day there will be usable ACM codecs for LAME as it would mean better control on the output format. I still have the virtual machine available for testing, should a developer want to send me a build to test.

I hope it helps others

Regards

MP3 ACM codec for x64 systems

Reply #1
Great! Works perfectly.
Thanks for your post.