Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lower volume output to prevent clips (Read 36690 times) previous topic - next topic

lower volume output to prevent clips

Reply #50

Yes, maximizing features!

The scale command will require more work.  Why do you keep fighting this?

Coz, I want it to be as good as it can be

You still don't (or don't want to) understand. This will not be "as good as it can be". You are going to loos dynamic range. Not with mp3gain (or ReplayGain).

Maybe so, but rather have similar sound wave at a lower vol on the mp3.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't MP3Gain change the vol on different sections of the track, makin it more mixed ?

Reply #51

[--scale 0.95] will not be "as good as it can be". You are going to loos dynamic range. Not with mp3gain (or ReplayGain).

The only drawback I see is: You can't be sure about whether 0.95 will do the trick or not.
But I think I know what you mean by "loos dynamic range". This would be true if LAME quantizes the samples back to 16 bit integers after applying the gain. It does not. LAME imports anything to floatingpoint and then applies the gain.

Wooooops! I stand corrected! 

But again, why to use an "half solution" that doesn't give you any guarantee when you have the correct one, 100% guaranteed, at hand?

Unconprehensible... what do you mean?

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't MP3Gain change the vol on different sections of the track, makin it more mixed ?

Absolutely not! RTFM!

Edit: Again, the forum software doens't allow me to make two answers each after the other and consolidate the two in a single message. Sorry for the inconvenience. It isn't my fault! 
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #52

What I mean is:
The original is as it should be.
If I rip a track to a certain scale it will be more as the original but at lower vol
then changing the vol as mp3Gain thinks it should.

But maybe I'm wrong , maybe mp3gain just increases or decreases according to the highest peak level?

Reply #53

What I mean is:
The original is as it should be.
If I rip a track to a certain scale it will be more as the original but at lower vol
then changing the vol as mp3Gain thinks it should.

But maybe I'm wrong , maybe mp3gain just increases or decreases according to the highest peak level?
Yes, you are wrong. Yes mp3gain increases/decreases at your will: constant amplification, maximize peak ( i.e. normalize), target average album/track volume. As we all have tried to make you understand several times. BTW, have you noticed the headline under 2bdecided's avatar? Rewind to post #2... 

Edit: To be most more clear, in simple words: mp3gain IS a volume knob, exactly as you wish. It IS NOT a dynamic compressor/expander that alter the dynamic (shape) of your sound!
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #55
Do you know, even I wouldn't have the interest or patience to reply as many times as nzhk has!

All over something that both of us have admitted we can't hear...!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #56
I guess thats what being stubborn is all about

Reply #58
not always
Want to know what I'm doin before I do it

Edit:
After all the help I got from all you very nice people I will not use anything, just encode.

If the mp3 range is much higher and lower I do not need to.....

Reply #59
If the mp3 range is much higher and lower I do not need to.....

There are only two possibilities:

A) He is trolling.
  B) He really can't understand
Sergio

Reply #60
The funny thing is that mp3gain and fb2k's implementation of replaygain each have settings designed to address this very issue.

It's like the guy was turning down free money.

Reply #61
A), maybe
who knows......

greynol, I would turn down free money