IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
WASAPI Configuration
infinity49
post Feb 22 2013, 20:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106811

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the Wasapi configuration and the optimal windows settings.

My Setup:

SOUND: Creative Soundblaster Play (USB)
PLAYER: Foobar (1.2.3) + Wasapi Plugin (3.2.1)

Laptop > USB Soundcard > 2.1 Speakers with active subwoofer

Windows Settings:

- 16bit / 44100 Hz
- Exclusive Mode (both option boxes are selected)
- Performance Options > Advances > Process Sheduling > Programs selected (or better Background Services?)

Should I change the process priority on Foobar or Wasapi process to high or even realtime? (Taskmanager > Processes > Right Click on Process....)

Foobar Settings:

- Device: Wasapi Event
- Buffer Length: 50 ms
- ReplayGain is off
- No DSPs

Wasapi Settings:

- Hardware Buffer in MS (event mode): 25 (Should I change it?)
- High Worker Process Priority (activate or no???)

Volume:

Which volume panels have to be on max?

I habe a wasapihost68 volume panel in the windows mixer - does it have any affect on the sound?

What audio driver is better - the standard Windows driver or the creative driver. Is there maybe a general USB Sound driver you recommend?

Are there any other plugins like dsp i should use?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
db1989
post Feb 22 2013, 21:22
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

You keep asking if anything can be done “better”. Better what? Sound quality? If so, as has been stated in countless past threads, the output method used will not have any audible effect upon what you hear (unless something is very wrong with your hardware and/or its drivers).

The options that you have enquired about will have precisely no effect upon quality, unless they were insufficient for your hardware and software configuration, in which case you would experience glitching and other distinctly non-subtle artefacts.

As I always say, threads like this imply that foobar2000, or any other sane application, needs to be massaged into producing an optimal signal. That is simply not the case. There are no secret tricks necessary to reproduce a signal properly.

Don’t feel obliged to use something other than the default mode unless you have a specific reason to do so. If you are using it, don’t feel obliged to change any of its settings unless you are having problems. Quality will either stay the same or drop right off; in neither case is any advanced tweaking necessary in normal use-cases.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 04:36